mikelets456

Jersey City mayor, Newtown rabbi speaking at gun violence forum at FDU

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop will be one of four speakers at an education program on gun violence solutions being held at Fairleigh Dickinson University tonight.

Fulop, a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, will be joined by Adam Skaggs, senior counsel at Everytown for Gun Safety, Rabbi Shaul Marshall Praver, of Newtown, Conn., and Mandi Perlmutter, advocacy lead of the NJ Chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America at the North Jersey Public Policy event.

The panel discussion will take place in the Wilson Auditorium/Dickinson Hall, at 140 University Plaza Drive, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

The moderator of the event will be Donna Dees-Thomases, organizer of the Mothers' Day Million Mom March in 2000.

The event is free and open to the public, but pre-registration is recommended. To register, visit the NJPPN website at www.njppn.org.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2015/03/jersey_city_mayor_newtown_rabb.html

that's it. they have convinced me that violence is a problem. therefore, i shall this weekend go out and buy another gun, body armor, lots of spare mags, and lots of spare ammo. thank god they have awoken me.

Don't forget to fill out all the illegal forms decreed by Herr Full-Flop  :hopechange2sp6nv4-1:

Don't forget to fill out all the illegal forms decreed by Herr Full-Flop  :hopechange2sp6nv4-1:

i don't live there, so i only have to deal with the standard illegal forms. :) i figure i need to do my part to help contain the danger to where it already is. anything else would be criminal. :)

I find it hysterical that they have moderator. I am of the assumption that a moderator is needed when there are opposing view points.

What are they going to debate? 1 round or 2?

What a complete joke and waste of time. The rabbi on the panel explained how his views had changed and he thinks its dialogue is important and how gun "safety" advocates need to give the "other side" a seat at the table. Yet the entire panel was anti-gun (of course they all deny that and claim they are only "anti gun violence"). No one saw the irony in that. Then the pro gun people started interrupting and heckling the moms demands action lady during he presentation. Granted virtually everything she said was a distortion or an outright lie but is disrupting the presentation really productive? I will never go to another one of these things again.

What a complete joke and waste of time. The rabbi on the panel explained how his views had changed and he thinks its dialogue is important and how gun "safety" advocates need to give the "other side" a seat at the table. Yet the entire panel was anti-gun (of course they all deny that and claim they are only "anti gun violence"). No one saw the irony in that. Then the pro gun people started interrupting and heckling the moms demands action lady during he presentation. Granted virtually everything she said was a distortion or an outright lie but is disrupting the presentation really productive? I will never go to another one of these things again.

Ooops. guess he wont be invited back. His idea would open the gate to an actuall dialouge of fact from the "other side", blasphemy!!!   So, was there actually an open q/a session? Any opportunity for the audience to speak? Submit remarks, questions?Any chance for anyone else besides the panel to speak? Did they at least have coffee and cake?

Yeah, there was Q&A.  A number of the "pro-2A" people were excellent.  Particularly the guy from the NJ justifiable need organization who did a fantastic job of explaining the justifiable need issue.  He asked a pointed question to the effect that if someone passes background checks, has training, and passes a proficiency test, why shouldn't they get a permit.  No one had a good answer.  The guy from the Brady Campaign actually agreed with him, and Fulop said nothing substantial other than commending him on his civil tone.  There was also a very eloquent woman who was the victim of domestic violence and became a gun owner; she did a good job of calling out the moms' demand lady -- Randi something or other -- for hiding behind the "I'm not against guns" mantra yet skewing her presentation to make it clear she opposes all gun ownership.

But that's not the same as having an eloquent, polished person on the panel to present the gun owners' point of view.  The whole thing is a sham and a joke.  They claim to want dialogue, but really aren't interested in engaging anyone with a different point of view.

One takeaway is that the mom's demand action group is the most illogical, hysterical, downright angry group I have encountered.  They are truly scary and absolutely beyond reason.

It's quite amazing.  I tried to engage one of them -- Kristin Wald -- in a polite conversation and she snapped at me, threw up her hands, and turned her back after about 5 seconds.  They are incredibly hostile and emotional.  My advice, don't bother talking to them.

It's quite amazing.  I tried to engage one of them -- Kristin Wald -- in a polite conversation and she snapped at me, threw up her hands, and turned her back after about 5 seconds.  They are incredibly hostile and emotional.  My advice, don't bother talking to them.

yup that seems to be their typical response as a few others have said the same here over the past few yrs, just nasty people. good to hear that therewas some audience input and thanx for the feedback on the meeting.