What do you think of something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stack-On-8-Gun-Cabinet-Security-Safe-Rifles-Short-Gun-Key-Coded-Lock-Storage-NEW-/321446756139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad7b83f2b

I am on the hunt for something in my budget (meaning "cheap").  I can't afford the big boy safes I see here and there, not do I have much space for one.

I have 5 long guns and a couple of pistols, so I don't need a 20-gun safe, and I don't plan on amassing any collection that size anyway.

You don't get the nice biometric lock, and I suspect the metal is not much more than an office filing cabinet, so any determined thief would make short work of it.  But just to have a more secure spot to store things in would help.

Used safes that are fairly local seem to be non-existent.  I'd like to keep the spend under $300 all in.

Edit: sorry for the typo in the title.

Even Walmart has a fairly wide selection on their site, but none of the physical stores in my area even carry safes in stock to check them out in person.

Any ideas?

Yeah, that's not really a safe, but a gun locker instead. I have one of those and while it does keep your firearms somewhat secure from people and children, it will do nothing to protect you from a flood or fire. If you do get one, get one that holds twice the number of long guns you actually want to store. It might say 8-gun cabinet, but when you factor in accessories or scopes, the number gets cut down in half.

And whatever you do, try to mount it on a corner in the room. Then make sure to use long lag bolts and bolt it to the floor and two corner walls. If you don't then anyone can pretty much just pick the whole thing up and take it with them.

At first I thought this was going to be a joke about a chastity belt...

That being said they aren't too bad for locking things up, but if you do want real security you must look further. You can get this safe shipped from Walmart for under $90 by the way. It's a great locker for ammo or powders, etc.

For under the $300 you won't get a real "safe" that will lock up 5 longs guns and pistols. My opinion would be spend the $100 on this and start saving for a real safe. It will be tight in there with 5 long guns but it will work for now.

I just picked up another one from SportsmansGuide for $80 free ship (+$5 large freight)  Mine is green with 1 shelf, thought the black one had 3 shelves? anyway these are just cabinets not a safe by any means. IMO a prybar and 5 mins its open but keeps little hands out.. Great for a handful of my less valuable mosins, air guns .acc's, ammo.

Agree with the other comments here.  It will keep the kids and friends of the kids from accessing the guns. But some effort and a pry bar could get the door open. And as Lalo wrote, use lags to secure it in place.  In addition to making it really hard to walk away with....that will keep it from falling on small kids or just tipping over and banging up your guns.

I think Dick's carries those Stack-On cabinets.  They will go on sale from time to time.  If the price at Dick's ends with .99 cents.. it's their regular price.   .98.. its on sale.  .97 or .96...it's on clearance or special sale.   But if you want to see one, maybe Dick's will have it, or a similar model on the sales floor.  If you can wait, they go on sales from time to time. I just got a 24 gun F&S safe for $499 and then used a 10% off card I got after buying a compound bow online from Dicks.

As for Wal-mart, you can order anything Site to Store.  One good thing about Wal-Mart... they will take ANYTHING back.  Past the return window?  Doesn't matter. Talk to the Mgr or an Asst Mgr that isn't a d-bag... They have to make you happy.  And you may run into someone that doesn't get that... there will be someone there who does get it and will take care of you.  Using their web site to write a "letter to the president" also helps.  That puts the store on notice that someone is PO'ed at Walmart and corporate expects the store to make that person happy...asap.  It may take a little effort, but you will almost always get what you want.

Good luck.

I think this one will work for me.  Decent markdown (at least psychologically) and shipped home for only $10 extra.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-8-Gun-Safe-with-Combination-Lock-Matte-Hunter-Green/20753931

Now, to figure out how to drill bolt holes in the concrete floor where it will be going.

I agree with most of the comments here. I have some stack-on products and I would consider it a "locker" at best. I bought a smaller one to store a couple pistols in, but realized that it is very lightweight. A decently strong clawed hammer or a pry bar would make quick work of these units. Hell, you could probably even just beat the snot out of one to open it. The stack-on products i have basically just store ammo and magazines now. I wouldnt trust my life to it by any means, but if your simply getting it to keep kiddies out of it, then it should work just fine. If you actually want it as a "safe", id spend a little more.

I just picked up another one from SportsmansGuide for $80 free ship (+$5 large freight)  Mine is green with 1 shelf, thought the black one had 3 shelves? anyway these are just cabinets not a safe by any means. IMO a prybar and 5 mins its open but keeps little hands out.. Great for a handful of my less valuable mosins, air guns .acc's, ammo.

Mine's black - 1 shelf.  It's more of a half shelf too - the shelf doesn't go all the way from the back to the front of the safe.  I keep some mags there though you could probably put a pistol or two.

I think this one will work for me.  Decent markdown (at least psychologically) and shipped home for only $10 extra.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-8-Gun-Safe-with-Combination-Lock-Matte-Hunter-Green/20753931

Now, to figure out how to drill bolt holes in the concrete floor where it will be going.

"Al",

Just to throw my two pennies in here...

Stay away from the gun cabinet type of "safes".  These are thin, sheet metal cabinets taht are easily defeated.  They usually have simple key lock tumblers that even kids can get into, let alone a thief.  For a thief, breaking in and stealing your guns is childs play.

I understand your desire to stay within $300 and your space considerations.  IMO, the best bang for your buck is this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12668279

This is a real safe, with a heavy steel door and locking bolts.  It's also a little bit bigger than the Stack on one.  As others have said, true sdafe capacity is usually half of the advertised capacity, considering scopes, etc. Currently, it's selling for $400, which is a lil above your budget.  IF you're willing to wait, Dick's drops the price to $300 every year, on Black Friday.  Either way, it's worth it.

Eric

It'll be a tight fit, but it's a safe and not a cabinet.  Not a bad deal if it fits what you've got.

You could do the floor with a hammer drill or if you know someone with a Hilti gun, you could shoot some long pins. I've got one if you're in Monmouth County. Sometimes though, the concrete will break up and you'll need to shift the whole thing several inches.  So a little risk with the Hilti.  Or you could lag it to a wall stud.  Better then nothing I suppose.

I understand your desire to stay within $300 and your space considerations.  IMO, the best bang for your buck is this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12668279

This is a real safe, with a heavy steel door and locking bolts.  It's also a little bit bigger than the Stack on one.  As others have said, true sdafe capacity is usually half of the advertised capacity, considering scopes, etc. Currently, it's selling for $400, which is a lil above your budget.  IF you're willing to wait, Dick's drops the price to $300 every year, on Black Friday.  Either way, it's worth it.

Eric

I have this safe, and just to reiterate, it's a really tight fit. I can comfortably fit two long guns on each side of the vertical partition. A third can be jammed in if it doesn't have a pistol grip or optics. And if one of your long guns is really long, e.g. shotgun with 28" barrel, it practically eliminates storage space on top (as you can see from the picture). You're not going to be able to attach holsters to the door since there isn't enough clearance between the inside of the door and the partition. Although I suppose you can just remove it if you want. I have mine set up with long guns on the left, shelf with gun hangars on a shelf above it, and I keep ammo on the right side shelves.

If you can find a way to hide it, you've added another layer of security to that cabinet. A couple of homes ago I had a cheap gun cabinet bolted under the basement stairs, but I also had a plywood panel in front of it, looking like it was a permanent fixture-right down to the wire racks filled with pantry goods on the panel. But the whole thing just lifted out to expose the cabinet behind it.

I have this safe, and just to reiterate, it's a really tight fit. I can comfortably fit two long guns on each side of the vertical partition. A third can be jammed in if it doesn't have a pistol grip or optics. And if one of your long guns is really long, e.g. shotgun with 28" barrel, it practically eliminates storage space on top (as you can see from the picture). You're not going to be able to attach holsters to the door since there isn't enough clearance between the inside of the door and the partition. Although I suppose you can just remove it if you want. I have mine set up with long guns on the left, shelf with gun hangars on a shelf above it, and I keep ammo on the right side shelves.

Yep.  It's tight, but do-able per AlDente's 5 long guns and two pistols.  If space is an issue, you are gonna have to pony up a few more bucks.

Eric

here's a decent deal from Harbor Freight .. $299 with coupon ..i prefer a safe to a cabinet type .. but this seems to be somewhere in-between ..

http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTIxMTk2MjYiLCJza3UiOiI5NTgyNCIsImlzIjoiMjk5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjMzMDkifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

I've posted this here and on other sites several times.....my thoughts on sheet metal cabinets versus gun safes:

Its all about threat levels, and what is your goal in protection. 

If your goal is to keep the kids (and the teenage "opportunistic" thieves) out of the guns, one of those sheet metal cabinets is more than sufficient - they aren't going to even try to open the door. 

If you are trying to protect from the typical 'smash and grab' thief, a cabinet is also more than sufficient - it will slow them down considerably, and they want to get "in and out" as fast as possible. 

If you are trying to protect against an organized bunch that is bent on getting into your stuff; well, it depends. Is the typical thief going to have enough time to cut thru the lock/door without interruption, or enough time, ability and cover to rip it off the wall and carry it to a waiting pickup truck?  If so, then you need a bigger/heavier safe.  If not, then one of the metal cabinets will suffice.

Having said all that.....I've used the Homak version of your Stack-On 8-rifle with the Pistol Cabinet bolted on top for years....if you take the foam barrel rest out and replace it with a piece of felt or something else that's soft, and put some of your rifles/shotguns muzzle down, you can get a LOT more than 8 in there.

Give me a 5 lb baby sledgehammer and a crowbar.  Anyone wanna take bets on how long it takes me to open the gun cabinet?

Trust me, if it takes me longer than 3 minutes to cave in the thin sheet metal doors, then pry it open...

Eric

here's a decent deal from Harbor Freight .. $299 with coupon ..i prefer a safe to a cabinet type .. but this seems to be somewhere in-between ..

http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTIxMTk2MjYiLCJza3UiOiI5NTgyNCIsImlzIjoiMjk5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjMzMDkifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

I have this safe. The door is a little over 1/4 inch thick and about 250 lbs. it came with the bolts for the floor and back holes to mount. I added a few light sensing lights. While it was on sale H/F still let me use the 20% off coupon they always have so I got it about $230 64B5C830-9575-4B50-BB06-9EED15CF2FBF_zps

If your goal is to keep little fingers and their friends out might I suggest an old freezer and some padlocks? As a bonus they are airtight and with some silica type "dehumidifiers" everything stays nice and dry. Those inexpensive stack ons seem to be no more than a filing cabinet, IMO if that's the case I would think an old upright or even a chest freezer would do the same thing.

If your goal is to keep little fingers and their friends out might I suggest an old freezer and some padlocks? As a bonus they are airtight and with some silica type "dehumidifiers" everything stays nice and dry. Those inexpensive stack ons seem to be no more than a filing cabinet, IMO if that's the case I would think an old upright or even a chest freezer would do the same thing.

Good idea.  I have also seen guys use job boxes (tool boxes used on construction sites) like those made by Knaack.

Here's one that's 48" wide (should hold most rifles easily) and under $350

http://www.homedepot.com/p/International-48-in-Job-Site-Box-Black-JSB-4824BK/203715447?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|PLA|D25T|Tools&gclid=CjwKEAjwrbSoBRDok47Sv6Ci80wSJABFUszTKGryiCJZEklgqA-nGiWIUw2gUWRqbFxHUSUQnO57ohoCBKnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought a craftsman cabinet from ace hardware and converted it into a gun locker by cutting 2 of the shelves up. It gave me a lot more room for the money. Obviously it's not good for fire or water, but I was more worried about kids and the opportunistic. It does blend with the half a dozen other metal shelves and cabinets the previous owner had in his basement workshop. Stole the idea from a bother member here who sold the same thing a lil while back.

And whatever you do, try to mount it on a corner in the room. Then make sure to use long lag bolts and bolt it to the floor and two corner walls. If you don't then anyone can pretty much just pick the whole thing up and take it with them.

Anyone who can lift 300 lbs and carry it up or down several flights of stairs.