Bully

I Want a Bow and I Need Some Help

Last season I hunted for the first time. I got skunked but got the bug pretty good. I have a friend with some land upstate so I can rifle hunt up there. I would also like to hunt closer to home which means no rifle. In addition, when my 11year old caught the "Hunger Games" fever, we took her to Targeteers which is 10 minutes from my house and she and we had some lessons. I shot archery in a friend's backyard when I was younger and it all came back to me. It's a lot of fun and very enjoyable.

So, I'm looking for a bow.

I definitely want a compound bow. I'll be hunting from a stand or, possibly a blind. Whitetail, maybe turkey if I can get motivated.

I'm not looking for the "Zippity Doo-Daa-Super-Duper-Fastest-Shooting-Laser-Bow" just a smooth drawing, relatively quiet, moderately priced machine that will let me enjoy the hunt and the fact that I'm outdoors. Something that is middle of the road "A to A" and in the 50-70lb range sounds good to me.

Bows I've looked at:

Mission Blaze

Mission Craze

Parker Kodiak

Parker 30+

A Hoyt of some sort

An Elite, which was WAAYYYYYYY out of my price range currently.

I'd like to stick around 750ish+arrows if that's reasonable. I'm happy to do less.

I only mention those bows as I've either seen them in person or researched them online. I don't have any brand loyalty and as long as it will perform well over it's lifespan I really don't care about labels or names.

Any advice on cam profiles, brace heights, etc that anyone can knowledgeably give will be appreciated. If you would like to recommend a specific bow and JUSTIFY YOUR RESPONSE that would be wonderful as well.

Additionally, let me know your thoughts re: buying a bow that can be user set-up w/o a press and setting it up myself. I'm kinda handy but might require some assistance in that department unless I'm mis-interpreting the steps.

Thanks.

Christopher

Check craigslist and buy a used one. Then you can get a nice Mathews.

If I was more comfortable or knew more about it I'd be willing to do that. However, I don't. I'd rather deal with a store that I can use to my advantage even if it costs me a bit. Additionally if you are going to just recommend a bow/brand without backup, please don't. It's useless to me.

C

In my opinion single cams are a lot smoother , if you are not very familiar with bows I would not recommend buying off craigslist , if you don't know what to check for on limbs for any issues , to get your basic draw length measure from your armpit to the tip of your middle finger , this will get you pretty close , most archery shops will have packages that will include everything except a release. for the price range you looking to spend you should be able to get a really nice set up  bowtech pse and bear archery make great bows and you wont go wrong with any of them. but each will draw and shoot a little different , so you should see if theres a archery shop buy you and draw back a few to see what feels smooth to you,  i shhot a Mathews chill for 3d but don't like it for hunting since its got big cams and when drawing you get that jerking thud when the cam rolls over so i shoot a Mathews dxt for huning its a single cam and its a straight smooth pull back to my anchor point , so in my opinon sigle cams are the way to go .

John

In my opinion single cams are a lot smoother , if you are not very familiar with bows I would not recommend buying off craigslist , if you don't know what to check for on limbs for any issues , to get your basic draw length measure from your armpit to the tip of your middle finger , this will get you pretty close , most archery shops will have packages that will include everything except a release. for the price range you looking to spend you should be able to get a really nice set up  bowtech pse and bear archery make great bows and you wont go wrong with any of them. but each will draw and shoot a little different , so you should see if theres a archery shop buy you and draw back a few to see what feels smooth to you,  i shhot a Mathews chill for 3d but don't like it for hunting since its got big cams and when drawing you get that jerking thud when the cam rolls over so i shoot a Mathews dxt for huning its a single cam and its a straight smooth pull back to my anchor point , so in my opinon sigle cams are the way to go .

John

THanks. I've looked at some single cam bows, I think. I'm planning to hit Targeteers tomorrow evening but really want to at least know what questions to ask before I go in.

C

Biggest thing is don't let THEM OR ANY SHOP  sell you a bow , DRAW BACK AND SHOOT A BUNCH AND PICK WHAT FEELS GOOD TO YOU . I made that mistake twice I was talk into how great and latest the bow is and was not happy with it.  for hunting smooth draw  is what you want , im 6'3 245lb and my dxt is set at only 52lb I draw and sit there for an hour on a deer if I choose . . Even tho you didn't get anything last year never get discouraged it was 7years before I shot my first buck  , I had a big ten in front of me my first year at 20yrds but a bow set at 70lb and a bad case of buck fever I couldn't pull back the bow no matter how hard I tried , . ground blinds are great for rainy days because deer will move a lot in bad weather only problem they get nice and comfy and I have a tendency of nodding off LOL

ground blinds are great for rainy days because deer will move a lot in bad weather only problem they get nice and comfy and I have a tendency of nodding off LOL

I got pissed on all 3 days I went out last season. No blind. I did NOT nod off...

C

it was a tough year last season , I got 1 small basket 8 , didn't see much other then a lot of fox and coyotes , its tough sitting for days on end not seeing anything , but its even tougher here in the pine barrens . But if theres one bit of advice I can give is really get in the habit knowing wind direction is for the   day you hunt and place your stand accordingly  it don't matter what equipment you buy scent lock stuff or whatever  you must beat the deer nose .

I was in a fixed ladder stand.

Honestly the experience was awesome. I got to see just how screwy turkeys are when they land. I had a 4 point walk directly below me with a couple of doe. It was just all so cool. But I would like to get something this year.

C

here is my friends deer from this season this deer was shot at 6 feet he was running late and was tying his bow to his haul line when he seen this deer comin the wind was blowing hard out of the swamp in his face . he stood at the base of his tree and deer never new he was there  so this shows how important the wind can help or hurt you .

C, 

I paid $412 (2/2013) for my Misson Craze all set up ready to go at Garden State Bow & Reel up on RT23. They set me and the wife up great. They have an inside and outdoor range, so you can test the bows. They measured everything and set the weight of draw, and cut the arrows to the bow. The arrows or a release was not included in that price. Prob add another $50 for 1/2 doz arrows, and $30+ for a decent release.

http://bowandreel.com/default.aspx

Biggest thing is don't let THEM OR ANY SHOP sell you a bow , DRAW BACK AND SHOOT A BUNCH AND PICK WHAT FEELS GOOD TO YOU . I made that mistake twice I was talk into how great and latest the bow is and was not happy with it. for hunting smooth draw is what you want , im 6'3 245lb and my dxt is set at only 52lb I draw and sit there for an hour on a deer if I choose . . Even tho you didn't get anything last year never get discouraged it was 7years before I shot my first buck , I had a big ten in front of me my first year at 20yrds but a bow set at 70lb and a bad case of buck fever I couldn't pull back the bow no matter how hard I tried , . ground blinds are great for rainy days because deer will move a lot in bad weather only problem they get nice and comfy and I have a tendency of nodding off LOL

I was in Targeteers the other day and there was a sign that read something like "if you draw a bow back be prepared to pay for it"

Is this common? Are you not supposed to draw back when shopping for bows?

C, 

I paid $412 (2/2013) for my Misson Craze all set up ready to go at Garden State Bow & Reel up on RT23. They set me and the wife up great. They have an inside and outdoor range, so you can test the bows. They measured everything and set the weight of draw, and cut the arrows to the bow. The arrows or a release was not included in that price. Prob add another $50 for 1/2 doz arrows, and $30+ for a decent release.

http://bowandreel.com/default.aspx

Hey Bud! I hear ya but as I said, their hours just don't jive with mine. I'll call today and speak with Deano but will definitely be hitting Targeteers this evening.

I was in Targeteers the other day and there was a sign that read something like "if you draw a bow back be prepared to pay for it" Is this common? Are you not supposed to draw back when shopping for bows?

Most likely they are concerned about dry fires. "You break it, you bought it" kind of deal.

If anyone on here is around tonight and wants to help a stranger with a bow, drop me a PM. I'd love an impartial eye.

C

I would recommend buying the first compound bow from Targeteers.  Mine was a Hoyt Charger package.  Setting up a compound bow involves measuring the draw length, setting a draw weight, nocking point, d-loop, peep-sights, timing of the cams, alignment of the rest, sights, etc...  It may not be the least expensive option, but it gets you up-and-running quickly so you can focus on what's important: practice.

After practicing and learning about your equipment, you will be better experienced to make adjustments independently.

I would recommend checking out some archery forums.  I use archerytalk.com.

I would recommend joining an archery club.  I shot at Cherry Ridge, which is fine.  But then I also I joined Waxobe for access to their range, equipment and members' expertise.  At Waxobe I can work on my equipment then use the range to get immediate feedback on the adjustments.

Most of your practice may be standing at targets at same elevation.  If you plan to hunt from an elevated position you may wish to practice that too.  Anchor point may feel different.  Draw weight may feel heavier if your position isn't convenient to engage the same back muscles on the draw.  Your initial setup may not be what you end up hunting with.

Topher -- take a cruise thru the classifieds at Njhunter.com -- Lots of archery stuff goes up for sale there -- 

I took a deer this year with my 25 year old Golden eagle Orion MK2 -- the deer didn't care what threw the arrow -- I also took a deer with my new Ten point stealth crossbow

Crossbow is cool -- a lot of guys are against it or lets say against the idea of the crossbow -- I say if it gets you in the woods then have at it

Topher, I hadn't shot regularly in years and years. I used to shoot a Jennings Super T back in the 70s. Hunting and some casual competition. So I wanted to start up again. I ended up with a Bear Attitude package. It's a single cam system and came with a sight, short stabilizer, rest and a tied nock loop. And a quiver. The accessories aren't great, but they're ok for me at this point. I went with a 70 lb draw but adjusted it to its minimum. Which as best I can tell is about 58 lbs. they make a 60 lb model which I wish I went with. Would like to get it down 5 or 6 pound less.

As far as the bow goes, I like it a lot. The draw is smooth, it's light enough for me and is pretty simple to adjust. You don't need a press to adjust the draw length. Total cost before tax was $399. Only shooting I've been able to do is at 15 yards in my basement. Once I sighted it in, it shot 2" groups at that distance. Before I got tired...... I'm sure there are better bows out there but I doubt I'd notice the difference. I'm happy with my new Bear. If you are trying out bows at a shop, try this one. They sell it bare. With the money saved you can pick some nice accessories. Good luck and have fun shooting.

Check out the mission riot. I picked up mine last year along with a package of arrows, quiver, release and site for under 500. It has a nice amount of adjustability and my DL is 27 inches. Since I'm cross eye dominant I had the draw weight set low since I still getting comfortable with the off shoulder

Check out the mission riot. I picked up mine last year along with a package of arrows, quiver, release and site for under 500. It has a nice amount of adjustability and my DL is 27 inches. Since I'm cross eye dominant I had the draw weight set low since I still getting comfortable with the off shoulder

I went to Targeteers tonight, just got back actually. Aside from the douchebag kid behind the counter...

I tried a Mission Craze along with a Hoyt Charger and a Quest Forge. I liked the Quest the best. Smoother feeling draw. Price was 529 with the package. Gonna do some research.

C

Gotta love that -- I have no tolerance anymore for assholes behind a counter

Yeah. I called today when they opened. I wound up speaking with Robbie who apparently(thru reading) owns the place. He apologized however its apparent that the CS there is a problem that rolls downhill.

I may give them another shot. We'll see. I would really like to give GS Bow and Reel however the hours that Deano is in are really tough. So, we'll see.

Does anyone have feedback on the Quest bows?

C

I only use Simon Peter Sport for my archery needs. They're on the border of Newton/Andover. Definitely worthy the trip there. Tommy is their bow expert, he is awesome. They also usually have a good selection of used equipment they will take the time to taylor to your needs and abilities. He is the only guy other than myself that I will allow to put his hands on my bow, they're that good. I've been killing archery deer for 25 years thanks to them.

http://simonpetersport.com/

Yeah. I called today when they opened. I wound up speaking with Robbie who apparently(thru reading) owns the place. He apologized however its apparent that the CS there is a problem that rolls downhill.

Not really surprised.  You aren't the first archer from whom I've heard Targeteers CS complaints, and my first few visits wasn't great either.  But I've been there a few times to use the range and whatnot.  They get friendlier after a few visits.

The lady that set up my bow manages the store for Rob, who is usually busy with something else.  When I accidentally dry fired my compound, she looked it over for me, confirmed it looked okay, and charged me a nominal fee for replacing the peep sight.  Very nice person, knowledgeable and helpful.

When you start shooting, you'll run into situations where a brick&mortar archery shop will be very convenient, whether Targeteers or Simon Peter or Heritage.   Some extra field points or inserts because you hit a tree and you could only recover the shaft.  Some extra arrows because a Robin Hood ruined 2 arrows and you only have 3 left.  Lancasterarchery.com often ships to NJ in about 2 days, but sometimes you don't want to wait that 2 days. :-)

Does anyone have feedback on the Quest bows?

When I was looking I narrowed it down to the Mission Riot and the Hoyt Charger.  I think the Quest Forge is new for 2015?  That could explain the dearth of reviews.  If it feels good to you, it seems like a good choice.

DTH Package

- Sight - "Tool-less fiber optic sight w/ light".  I have no idea which sight they are packaging, but once you start shooting 10, 20, 40 and 50 yards or more, don't be surprised if you outgrow it.

- Rest - Some people prefer the full containment rest. Others like fall away rests.  It's a personal preference you'll figure out after you shoot a while.

Not really surprised.  You aren't the first archer from whom I've heard Targeteers CS complaints, and my first few visits wasn't great either.  But I've been there a few times to use the range and whatnot.  They get friendlier after a few visits.

The lady that set up my bow manages the store for Rob, who is usually busy with something else.  When I accidentally dry fired my compound, she looked it over for me, confirmed it looked okay, and charged me a nominal fee for replacing the peep sight.  Very nice person, knowledgeable and helpful.

When you start shooting, you'll run into situations where a brick&mortar archery shop will be very convenient, whether Targeteers or Simon Peter or Heritage.   Some extra field points or inserts because you hit a tree and you could only recover the shaft.  Some extra arrows because a Robin Hood ruined 2 arrows and you only have 3 left.  Lancasterarchery.com often ships to NJ in about 2 days, but sometimes you don't want to wait that 2 days. :-)

When I was looking I narrowed it down to the Mission Riot and the Hoyt Charger.  I think the Quest Forge is new for 2015?  That could explain the dearth of reviews.  If it feels good to you, it seems like a good choice.

DTH Package

- Sight - "Tool-less fiber optic sight w/ light".  I have no idea which sight they are packaging, but once you start shooting 10, 20, 40 and 50 yards or more, don't be surprised if you outgrow it.

- Rest - Some people prefer the full containment rest. Others like fall away rests.  It's a personal preference you'll figure out after you shoot a while.

I know that they don't have the best rep as far as customer service goes. I just prefer to patronize small shops when I can.

Most of the stuff on the bow is G5, which seems ok to start with. And yes, the bow is a 2015 so that's most likely the reason. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any thoughts on Quest as a whole. Hoyt has a rep for having a lumpier draw stroke, Mission is smoother, that kind of thing.

Thanks again.

C