Bully

I Want a Bow and I Need Some Help

I would recommend staying away from full containment rests like the (wisker biscuit), they remove the dynamic flex from you arrow upon launch. That lessons accuracy. Go with a drop away is my advice. Unless you're setting up a bow for a younger archer. Then a full containment rest makes teaching much easier, until they have the concept down. Look at what competitive archers use, and I can almost guarantee you won't see any full containment rest's on their setups.

Personally I shoot for speed, so I employ an overdraw to shorten my arrow length. I'm only pulling 55lbs at 25.5" draw length so the already short arrows I use get even shorter, increasing my arrow speed. Giving the deer less time to react to my launch. A smart deer will duck or jump a slower moving projectile. Especially once your shooting 20 yards or more.

I would recommend staying away from full containment rests like the (wisker biscuit), they remove the dynamic flex from you arrow upon launch. That lessons accuracy. Go with a drop away is my advice. Unless you're setting up a bow for a younger archer. Then a full containment rest makes teaching much easier, until they have the concept down. Look at what competitive archers use, and I can almost guarantee you won't see any full containment rest's on their setups. Personally I shoot for speed, so I employ an overdraw to shorten my arrow length. I'm only pulling 55lbs at 25.5" draw length so the already short arrows I use get even shorter, increasing my arrow speed. Giving the deer less time to react to my launch. A smart deer will duck or jump a slower moving projectile. Especially once your shooting 20 yards or more.

I kind of disagree.

I shoot a captive rest, Wisker Buscuit.

Bow is accurate, Easier when moving around (arrow won't fall off the rest) and I don't think speed is everything. Never had a deer duck an arrow but I seldom shoot 20 yards either. Generally 10-15.

I kind of disagree.

I shoot a captive rest, Wisker Buscuit.

Bow is accurate, Easier when moving around (arrow won't fall off the rest) and I don't think speed is everything. Never had a deer duck an arrow but I seldom shoot 20 yards either. Generally 10-15.

I cool with whatever works for you, but science disagrees. To me a wisker biscuit is like a crutch, or a set of training wheels on a bike. But like I said whatever helps you kill deer is fine with me.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f108/lose-biscuit-improve-your-tac15-15i-shooting-performance-russell-beach-80845/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer's_paradox

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx7sWOO4xs4

I cool with whatever works for you, but science disagrees. To me a wisker biscuit is like a crutch, or a set of training wheels on a bike. But like I said whatever helps you kill deer is fine with me.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f108/lose-biscuit-improve-your-tac15-15i-shooting-performance-russell-beach-80845/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer's_paradox

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx7sWOO4xs4

I agree with science. Just saying the benefit to an active hunter out weighs a drop away rest.

I pull my bow up into the tree with a knocked arrow can't do that with a drop away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on wrist vx. thumb release?

Wrist seems to be more common however the thumb seems to be a bit handier. Small, clips right on the loop, pocketable. I'm open to ideas from those with more experience than me however.

C

Wrist seems to be more common however the thumb seems to be a bit handier. Small, clips right on the loop, pocketable. I'm open to ideas from those with more experience than me however.

C

There great until you drop it out of your treestand with deer around. (That's one of those "ohh shit" moments) I prefer a wrist release for that reason. But they both work well, it's really a personal preference. You treat either release the same as a trigger on a gun. Slowly pull until it goes off, should be a suprise when it happens. Thumb style are more for on the ground hunting from a blind, or competition use. Most competitive archers don't use wrist style release.

You will probably end up collecting a few releases.

As DeerSlayer mentioned, wrist release can be very handy.  Once you strap it on, you don't really worry about misplacing it.  You can draw and hold with much of the weight supported by the wrist.

I started with wrist release then got thumb release.

- The length of wrist release seemed long, effectively shortening my draw length.  The thumb release pulled the D-loop back farther because the distance from center of palm to clamp (and D-loop) was shorter.  It gave me a more consistent anchor.

- I tried shortening the wrist release, but then then I had difficulty with the index finger tension to hold the trigger while I release with back tension.

- With wrist release the anchor is thumb under jaw.  With thumb release the anchor is flat back of hand against jaw.  I found easier anchor consistency with black back of hand.

I found the thumb release is more for target shooting, for that last little bit of accuracy.  When you've got 10 other things to worry about, the hassle-free nature of a wrist release is hard to beat.

Brick & mortar will have some wrist releases.  They have fewer thumb releases, because releases are expensive, difficult to stock and constantly being replaced with newer models.

The best way to try thumb releases is to find someone who has one.  My first time trying was borrowing one at an archery club.

Archery forum classifieds often sell brand new releases at small discounts, and used at large discounts.

You will probably end up collecting a few releases.

As DeerSlayer mentioned, wrist release can be very handy. Once you strap it on, you don't really worry about misplacing it. You can draw and hold with much of the weight supported by the wrist.

I started with wrist release then got thumb release.

- The length of wrist release seemed long, effectively shortening my draw length. The thumb release pulled the D-loop back farther because the distance from center of palm to clamp (and D-loop) was shorter. It gave me a more consistent anchor.

- I tried shortening the wrist release, but then then I had difficulty with the index finger tension to hold the trigger while I release with back tension.

- With wrist release the anchor is thumb under jaw. With thumb release the anchor is flat back of hand against jaw. I found easier anchor consistency with black back of hand.

I found the thumb release is more for target shooting, for that last little bit of accuracy. When you've got 10 other things to worry about, the hassle-free nature of a wrist release is hard to beat.

You want a consistent anchor point every time, use a kisser button. I actually have to use the youth model wrist release. The adult models I can't shorten enough to fully draw, I tried a few. One positive thing about that is they're a little cheaper lol.

So, I just got back from Targeteers...

I called and spoke with Rob on the phone last week about his employees and why I wasn't happy. He listened but I wasn't sure how receptive he was to my concerns. Turns out he was very receptive. When I went there today I asked to speak with him and he came right out. He actually worked with me himself and will have everything set up for me by Tuesday. I'll go in and fine tune everything sometime next week. His prices were very competitive with online and he offers to set the bow up. Something that online retailers just can't do. At least not to the extent that he can being there. I'm super excited to pick this up and start shooting. I will post pics as soon as I get the bow.

Thanks to all for your help.

To the naysayers re: my shop choice. Do the shop a favor and possibly yourself as well. Call or stop in and speak with Rob personally. He is seemingly very open to constructive criticism as he seems to want to offer top notch service and competitive pricing.

C