siderman

question for any Chrysler techs- or others

I have an issue with my 2005 T&C, the power dr locks stopped working thru both the interior buttons and the key fob. Of course did some research and found that pulling the fuse for a minute will re-set the bcm and the locks work again albiet for a day or two only so I know they do function. Also found Chrysler issued several TSBs applying to my specific problem/ year. I took it to a dealer and showed them the  TSB (only knew of one at first, misplaced it for the moment) and they were very accomadating and took the car in right there and charged me next to nothing. However they said the bcm was "up to date" because it was displaying a red light (or green, maybe my colors are mixed up..) and thus there was no option to install the patch? Meaning the TSB wasnt tryed...?. Was bummed as I was sure from everything I researched this was a dead-on fix. Anyway went home and looked around some more and found another TSB directly applying to my locks/model/yr (TSB 08-040-04) and called back the dealer to try but he just repeated that if the bcm states itself up to date it wont take a flash. I'm not doubting what he said but I just find it odd that there are TSBs for my issue but cant install.... And how would a bcm "know" if its not up to date? Any opinions welcome.

i have a "quick hit" type of database i use when i need to find something quick. just checked it, and see many techs replacing the bcm for this problem. some reported this same problem tied to radio malfunctions, and power liftgate malfunctions.

hope that's at least a little helpful.

thanx for your quick hit..... my 2 TSBs are specific to the pwr locks only, the one with the liftgate applies to vehicles with pwr lgate and alarm package or just pwr locks too. Not gonna spend hundreds of $ to replace the bcm, will go back to the stone age and keep manually working the locks lol

Try another dealer. 

I know for the diagnostic charge (like $75 or $100) the Toyota dealer will spend an unlimited amount of time figuring out what the problem is, and then only charge you for the time to fix it once the problem is found, with no extra charge if it took a lon of time to diagnose. 

So your Chrysler dealer, having accepted the diagnostic charge, should have located the problem, if it required him doing research and getting on the phone to Detroit.

It is sad to see that the American car dealers (at least this one) have not improved.  It is the reason why so many people bought japanese cars - GM, Ford and Chrysler dealers with service departments who treated their customers like garbage.

tsb's are not a certain fix. they apply to some but not all cars. your bcm may have been updated already or maybe came from the factory with these updates in place. so you cant update something that is already up to date. maybe you have another problem, switches, bcm, wiring, could be many things. don't look to a tsb as the end all b all fix. find a good independent shop that will actually put some time into diagnosing your problem, not just trying what you think might be the fix. no offense intended.

tsb's are not a certain fix. they apply to some but not all cars. your bcm may have been updated already or maybe came from the factory with these updates in place. so you cant update something that is already up to date. maybe you have another problem, switches, bcm, wiring, could be many things. don't look to a tsb as the end all b all fix. find a good independent shop that will actually put some time into diagnosing your problem, not just trying what you think might be the fix. no offense intended.

I hear what your saying. I just find it odd that on the internet (so it must be true)  I found many cases of excactly what I have, first re-setting the bcm by pulling the fuse for a minute and then the locks work again but only for 1 day or sometimes weeks. Then the permanant fix was one of the two TSBs that Crysler issued specific to my year only ( which would mean it was a known issue later so how was it updated at the factory?)  and no where did I come across someone saying it didnt/ wouldnt work because the bcm was already updated. Maybe it will go for a dignostic test but there just going to say its the bcm for $3-400 so thats not happening. 

ok, but you didn't say if you owned the car from new, so I don't know if you are the only one to ever have had it repaired. and what you are ignoring is what 1ltcap said, and it sounds like it may be correct, because the tsbs didn't fix the problem is that the bcm mat be going bad inside. which means no tsb will fix problem if bcm is bad at core.

ok, but you didn't say if you owned the car from new, so I don't know if you are the only one to ever have had it repaired. and what you are ignoring is what 1ltcap said, and it sounds like it may be correct, because the tsbs didn't fix the problem is that the bcm mat be going bad inside. which means no tsb will fix problem if bcm is bad at core.

had the car since almost new from 8k to current 110,000. Not ignoring the bcm, am aware it could be the culprit  just having a hard time accepting the tsb's couldnt even be tryed given they appear to be the fix in all that I've found noted many times on the internets various auto forums, q/a, fix-it sites. When the bcm goes typically it takes out other features too such as pwr windoes, wipers radio and in the almost two yrs since tyhis started all else is well.  I'll re-phrase a question: if a bcm is saying its up to date, does it block any means of input or can a TSB still be entered meaning if there is a existing malfunction perhaps the bcm doesnt even know because its...broken.

had the car since almost new from 8k to current 110,000. Not ignoring the bcm, am aware it could be the culprit  just having a hard time accepting the tsb's couldnt even be tryed given they appear to be the fix in all that I've found noted many times on the internets various auto forums, q/a, fix-it sites. When the bcm goes typically it takes out other features too such as pwr windoes, wipers radio and in the almost two yrs since tyhis started all else is well.  I'll re-phrase a question: if a bcm is saying its up to date, does it block any means of input or can a TSB still be entered meaning if there is a existing malfunction perhaps the bcm doesnt even know because its...broken.

you gotta be careful assuming this. i've had them go with just one thing bad. i've had them go with no physical malfunctions(such as non-functional door locks) but they'd lost comms with the rest of the system. i just replaced 2 ecu's last week. one in a dakota with an internal failure, but no codes, and the truck ran perfect. but the internal failure tripped the light. the other was a ford explorer. it refused to see the o2 b1s1, although the signal was verified by backprobing the pin right on the ecu.

electronics can, and will fail in endless different ways. if yours was already updated as per the tsb's(which any dealer should be able to tell ya) then that would be why they couldn't try them on it.

i wouldn't put a ton of confidence in the dealers either. i sent a local pd 2013 dodge charger to the dealer for a brake problem under warranty. was braking as if it wasn't getting power assist. it took them 2 or 3 visits, and almost a month to get it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Please read this entire post, there is a lot of information, please read read all of it before making a decision. I am selling ALL of my reloading equipment, everything set up for 9mm, 45 ACP, 223, and 308. I will not ship Large or Hazmat items, pick up local in the Manalapan area. I am willing to drive 10 miles in any direction. For large orders I would consider driving further. I can ship small, non-Hazmat items on your dime. Keep in mind, bullets are small but very heavy, shipping them will be expensive   My pricing methodology is simple, all prices are based on retail prices as of 6/29/2022: All hardware, whether New or Used, is 10% below amazon prices. Powder is full retail price per powder valley prices for un-opened containers. 10% below retail for remaining amount of opened containers Primers are all 10% below Powder Valley prices because I threw out all the original 1,000 count outer boxes and have the 100 count cards in ziplock bags Bullets are full retail price per powder valley and Berry’s prices for un-opened boxes. 10% below retail for loose bullets All prices are rounded to the nearest dollar There is always room to negotiate price as long as the offers are reasonable. But all negotiations must be completed prior to delivery, not during the delivery (I had a bad experience with this).   First “I’ll take it” in the thread, not via PM, gets the sale. If we are negotiating via PM and someone says “I’ll take it” in the thread during negotiations, the “I’ll take it” gets the sale.   If you want all of it, we can work out a package deal, and you will get all my brass for free, some of which is already primed. But keep in mind, it will be around $3K   Most items can be purchased separately but some will need to be combined for obvious reasons. Here is the extensive list. Photos will be provided upon request, there are too many to put into the post.   I accept Cash or Paypal as gift   Press - as a set - $643.49 Total    Hornady LnL AP press (Includes all retail components and manual, NO shell plates or dies)     - $507    Inline Fabrications roller lever (painted)                                                                                                 - $50    Inline Fabrications dual bin output tray                                                                                                  - $36    Inline Fabrications skylight                                                                                                                       - $27    Inline Fabrications shell plate lighting                                                                                                    - $25    3D printed case feeder                                                                                                                              - FREE    3D printed attachment to empty powder drop                                                                                     - FREE    Wood stand                                                                                                                                               - FREE    MTM Primer Flipper (Clear Smoke)                                                                                                      - FREE    Hornady LnL Shell Plates – Sold individually #1                                                                                  - $36 #8                                                                                  - $36 #16                                                                                - $36 #25                                                                                - $36   Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set – Sold individually .223 (2 LnL Bushings Installed - $12)                             - $60 .308 (2 LnL Bushings Installed - $12)                             - $60   Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 3-Die Set – Sold individually 9 mm (3 LnL Bushings Installed - $18)                            - $68 .45 ACP (3 LnL Bushings Installed - $18)                        - $68   Case Prep – Sold individually Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler with 7-Liter Capacity                                                                                               - $135 Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ 110V Case Tumbler Kit Reduced more than 10% due to loose powder cable in the tumbler         - $50 Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep                                                                                                                             - $171 Lyman 7832323 Reloading 223 Case Length/Headspace Gauge                                                                                                             - $19 Lyman Reloading 308 Win Case Length/Headspace Gauge                                                                                                                      - $19 Lyman Reloading 45 A.C.P. Pistol Max Cartridge Gauge                                                                                                                            - $15 Lyman Reloading 40 S and W Pistol Max Cartridge Gauge                                                                                                                        - $15 Lyman Multi-Caliber Large Rifle Ammo Checker                                                                                                                                          - $42   Priming – as a set - $54 Total    Lee auto primer                                                                                                                  - $31    Lee shell holders                                                                                                                - $23   Bullet feeder 9mm – as a set - $85 Total    Hornady LnL Bullet feeder die (1 LnL Bushings Installed - $6)                                 - $48    Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Tube set                                                                          - $37   45 ACP – as a set - $87 Total    Hornady LnL Bullet feeder die (1 LnL Bushings Installed - $6)                                 - $48    Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Tube set                                                                          - $39   Misc - Sold individually Hornady Powder cop                                                                                                          - $40 Lyman, Brass Smith Powder Trickler (New)                                                                    - $27 Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Impact Bullet Puller                                                       - $12 RCBS Lock-out Die                                                                                                                - $50 Lee universal decapping die with 2 spare pins                                                                - $20   Powder – Sold Individually H335 (8 lbs) New             1 un-opened container                                                         - $233 H335 (8 lbs) Open            6.56 lbs remaining                                                                 - $172 Titegroup (1 lbs) New     3 un-opened containers                                                       - $26 Each Titegroup (1 lbs) Open    0.77 lbs remaining                                                                 - $18 800x (1lbs) Open              0.73 lbs remaining                                                                 - $17   Primers - Sold in lots of 1,000, or ALL of each specific size CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum   - 2,438 Available                                          - $72 per 1,000 CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum - 1,000 Available                                          - $68 CCI #550 Small Pistol Magnum - 2,000 Available                                          - $77 per 1,000 CCI #250 Large Rifle Magnum   - 563    Available                                          - $43 CCI #300 Large Pistol                  - 2,413 Available                                          - $63 per 1,000   Bullets – Sold by caliber (all available per caliber must be bought together) Hornady Interlock 150 gr SP .308 (.308/7.62) – 500 Unopened (5 boxes) 21 loose – 521 in total    - $149 Hornady Match 68 gr HPBT .224 (.223/5.56) – 53 loose                                                                           - $11 Hornady 180 gr TMJ RNFP .401 (.40 S&W) – 547 loose                                                                             - $103 Berry’s 115 gr Plated RN .355 (9mm) – 734 loose                                                                                      - $90 Berry’s 230 gr Plated RN .451 (.45 ACP) – 403 loose                                                                                  - $77
    • Wow! I did feel a little embarrassed being something like the 900, 000ish person to view that.  With that in mind, we do live in an age where any view on any issue can be found pretty easily.  All I know is that I could never do something like that without getting the red flag treatment. Quiet rant over.
    • IMO, Anthony @gunforhire has setup a great webpage that has links to all the forms you need to use and he's setup time slots for people to sign up for their the Qualification - https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/ The website lists the qualification as $150 (+ $50 for each additional gun). Looks like a one stop shop for CCW needs.
    • You really think me pointing out where the gloom mongering is incorrect it giving people ideas? I am only refuting what has already been complained about. I qualified with Bob Bajor at Phillipsburg because that's my home range. He is listed on the RPO list on the NJSP web site: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/shooting-ranges.shtml