dajonga

Help keep my brother out of jail!

I have a plain jane Windham AR, the NJ compliant version with the factory-installed NJ legal compensator.

My brother just bought a similar Windham AR from his "gunsmith trained" buddy, but it has lots of bells and goodies added onto it...... Upgraded trigger, charging handle, sights, red dot sight, grip, etc. At least $400 worth of stuff to the basic rifle. Only 20 rounds down the pipe, so I think he got a great deal on the gun.

He knows nothing of ARs and brought it over tonight for a basic lesson in the operation and takedown procedure.

Good news is it does have a proper pinned stock and no bayonet lug.

Bad news is.... on the end of his barrel is what I believe to be a no-go flash hider. The diameter of the hole is much larger than my .223". His is more like .5". I could not tell if it was pinned/welded onto the barrel.

He is convinced that his buddy, the trained gunsmith, told him the truth that the gun is NJ legal. I am not convinced of his buddy's understanding of the law.

He has yet to shoot it, but he thinks it is not a big deal to take it to a public range.

I told him that it could possibly never amount to anything or that it could screw up his life big time with an assault weapons violation, depending on who discovers it and what kind of authority/badge/attitude that person has.

I need to convince him that he needs to get at least get a proper second opinion on the rifle.

To get an honest opinion, you're gonna need to post a pic of the "flash hider" to get a complete consensus. Other then that, bring it to a different LGS to get another opinion.

Not that this necessarily helps, but I've noticed a few of the ARs available for rent at Woodland Park Range have muzzle devices that wouldn't pass the so-called "pinky test". I asked someone about it, and their response was that the devices are marketed as compensators and therefore legal. Keep in mind I know at least three LEOs that work there (one of whom is frequently behind the counter renting out said rifles), not to mention who knows how many LEOs shoot there. Although I wonder if their being an FFL affords them some protection as well.

There could be two issues regarding the said muzzle brake . . . .

*The muzzle brake is actually a FS.....which is no-go.

*The muzzle brake is not permanently attached, pinned, tack welded, or soldered on as per NJ requirements.

If you know the name of the muzzle brake and have a pic of it, some of the experts here will provide a better opinion about it.

- TokenEntry

The pinky test means nothing. If the device does not limit the flash, it is not a flash suppressor. I've sold a few muzzle devices that would not pass the pinky test. They had horizontal slots and holes only. IMO, if there are not vertical slots, it will not limit the flash. See the attached.

post-1314-0-58536500-1427379341_thumb.jpg

post-1314-0-38719700-1427379354_thumb.jpg

Not that this necessarily helps, but I've noticed a few of the ARs available for rent at Woodland Park Range have muzzle devices that wouldn't pass the so-called "pinky test". I asked someone about it, and their response was that the devices are marketed as compensators and therefore legal. Keep in mind I know at least three LEOs that work there (one of whom is frequently behind the counter renting out said rifles), not to mention who knows how many LEOs shoot there. Although I wonder if their being an FFL affords them some protection as well.

Range rentals dont adhere to the laws.

If you do decide to take it to a gunsmith to be checked out, just bring the upper. There's no law against an upper with a flash hider, and I believe it's legitimate to have one if you're literally on your way to a gunsmith to have it checked and, if necessary, neutralized. If you want to cover your bases, call the gunsmith in advance to let him know you're coming, so if you're stopped there can be no question of where you were going.

I went through the painful process of trying to decipher the muzzle device rules recently and found this very helpful link.

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/muzzle-devices

Unfortunately, anything you put on the muzzle will in some way or another alter the flash signature, so you're never completely safe.

IANAL and this is not legal advice.

Ah.... I thought the pinky test was the golden rule. I will look at it again for holes and groves and maker and model.

Thanks for the info.

That's the field screening test. The golden rule is the winky test.

But turn it off first and let it cool a bit (like a dip stick).