High Exposure

New Vortex 1-6 optic

Anyone have the gouge on this optic?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle/reticle

STRIKE EAGLE 1-6X24 RIFLESCOPE

Speed and versatility—that’s what 1x variable optics offer AR shooters who need to engage targets from point-blank out to extended ranges. And that’s exactly what you’re going to get with Vortex’s new Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24. Take into consideration what it costs to get into this optic, and you may find you can’t afford not to buy it.

Whether you’re burning through a 3-Gun Stage, logging some range time, or holding for hair on a coyote you’ve duped into thinking you’re lunch, the Strike Eagle is up to the task. High-quality, fully multi-coated lenses deliver a clear, crisp sight picture and optimal low-light performance. A true one-power on the low end of its 6x zoom range provides quick target acquisition in close quarters scenarios. Need to engage targets at distance? Crank it up to 6x and let it rip.

Brownells has it for pre-order at ~ $320

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206338&page=1

About 4 pages of talk on this scope.

It looks good at a great price will upgrade from my Burris Tac30 to this or something else if my money tree ever grows.

Edit: seems like late spring/summer release.

I have serious misgivings about how much glass you can get for that money. Something somewhere has to be made very cheap for that price point. I'd probably pick one up for a .22 upper so it somewhat matches my more expensive glass, but I'm going to be hard to convince to trust it. 

Dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but - what's the difference?

Follow up question, which is better and why?

I am woefully lacking in knowledge regarding magnified optics, especially variable powered models.

Personally, I prefer first focal plane to second.  With a first focal plane scope, the reticle changes in size relative to magnification however the holds/values are constant meaning a mil-dot at 4x is the same as a mil-dot at 20x.  When you're working with a SFP scope, you have to do some additional math.

Personally, I prefer first focal plane to second. With a first focal plane scope, the reticle changes in size relative to magnification however the holds/values are constant meaning a mil-dot at 4x is the same as a mil-dot at 20x. When you're working with a SFP scope, you have to do some additional math.

Bingo... Got it before me. My Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 is FFP and superb....

My head hurts with math as is. Lol... The less, the better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally, I prefer first focal plane to second.  With a first focal plane scope, the reticle changes in size relative to magnification however the holds/values are constant meaning a mil-dot at 4x is the same as a mil-dot at 20x.  When you're working with a SFP scope, you have to do some additional math.

FFP is way more attractive. Anyone see a Trijicon sale coming up?

Once I sell service rifle upper (somone buy it) I'm gona get me one of these to go on top of my 3gun assembly. 

The warranty and all the advertising have me sold.

PK90 how many do you think you will get in?

Keep in mind, with FFP scopes the reticle can get real fat at higher magnifications. Most people get used to it... but it does bother others.

Vortex seems to have a nice balance on their FFPs....

At full zoom, mine is not that thick believe it or not. I had a FFP scope years ago that was atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vortex seems to have a nice balance on their FFPs....

At full zoom, mine is not that thick believe it or not. I had a FFP scope years ago that was atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same scope as you and agree the reticle isn't too thick.  

Will be interested to see how these fair when they come out.  I've been spoiled by their HD Gen 2 glass though so I'm sure it will be like night and day.

Personally I think on a 1-6 scope the focal plane choice is completely irrelevant.

99% that scope if going to be at either 1 or 6, almost never in between. You are probably only ever going to care about the ballistic "maths" of the reticule at the 6x, because with a 200yard zero you are pretty much going to be putting the dot on the target and pressing the trigger between zero and 250.  Past that you are going to be in 6x anyway so you need the "maths" to work at the amplification.

The more interesting part is how you light up cheap scopes. One of the big downside to most scopes under $700 or so is that the illumination is not really daytime visible. For that reason you'll see a lot of the scopes in that price range light up a big part of the reticule (like this vortex) to get a lot of chances to get light to your eyes. Also you'll note they tend to have some form of circle/dot reticule to give you something bit to aim with quickly. The brighter ones tend to have a single really bright dot and act like a RDS (the more expensive Vortex, Meopta K-dot, Burris XTR II, Z6, etc)

BTW, I think the approach is clever. I wish my Razor had the 100yard nub like this one will.  The new one is basically the JM-1 reticule plus a 100yard nub, plus a big circle for close up. I do kinda like it, although obviously I'd prefer a bright dot to the circle, but I'll take the circle at that price point.

The other advantage of a FFP scope is in engaging moving targets. Your leads do not change in different magnifications. This could be problematic for a SFP scope who's correct values are usually at max mag. You may not want to be at max when trying to hit a moving target at closer range. FFP its always correct. SFP if your at anything but max, the subtentions will be wrong.

The other advantage of a FFP scope is in engaging moving targets. Your leads do not change in different magnifications. This could be problematic for a SFP scope who's correct values are usually at max mag. You may not want to be at max when trying to hit a moving target at closer range. FFP its always correct. SFP if your at anything but max, the subtentions will be wrong.

I guess. I usually eyeball lead moving targets, usually that works, but I can see the need at times.

What would be the proper way to mount it on a flat top receiver? Rings, one piece, cantilever or something else? I would only have this, and 45 degree flip ups.

I usually use a one piece QD mount, preferably made by ADM. Cantilever if you need it due to eye relief.

It looks like once zeroed it has a 50/200 and 100/300 impact point on the reticle.

From 0-300 how much math are we teally talking about? Again, admitting my ignorance on the topic, is it really any harder than remembering your hold offs with a RDS?

the distance isn't as much of a factor as the magnification is.   if i remember correctly, say there is 1MOA between lines on a SFP scope.  say the scope is a 3x9.  thats 1" between the lines at 100 yards at 9x magnification.  If nothing moves, and you drop the magnification down to 4.5x (to make the math easier) the size of the space between the lines now covers a 2" section on that same target.  

this is obviously a minor thing when talking a 3-9 scope at 1-300 yards.  but something with 25x zoom at 1000 yards when you have an unknown actual distance and are using the reticle to estimate distance, it becomes a bigger issue i think

What would be the proper way to mount it on a flat top receiver? Rings, one piece, cantilever or something else? I would only have this, and 45 degree flip ups.

It depends. I say almost always you will want a forward offset scope one piece mount with this type of scope (cantilever if you wish). Standard rings will place the scope way to far back. I personally prefer to have the scope as far forward as it will go so I end up with the most forward offset version of the scope mount made, like the Larue SPR-E, ADM RECON-X, etc.

However if you are going to run 45 degree sights, you can save yourself a LOT of money and don't get a quick detachable mount because why would you detach it.  This year I've been running a Aero Precission Ultralight SPR mount on my competition rifle (which has no other sights so why would I ever remove the scope) and it has been very solid through a lot of abuse and I say that by comparison to my old Larue SPR-E.

Once I sell service rifle upper (somone buy it) I'm gona get me one of these to go on top of my 3gun assembly. 

The warranty and all the advertising have me sold.

PK90 how many do you think you will get in?

I may have some next week. Send me an EMAIL if you are interested. Price should be below $320. The more, the merrier.

I know very little about optics but I have this Trijicon on one of my ARs. Is this a good choice and a quality optic??

Mine has the reference to the Corinthians  Bible verse.

RX06-2.jpg?1437242832http://www.webyshops.com/brand/Trijicon-Reflex-Sights-brand/TRIJICON-Reflex-1x24-Sight-4-5-MOA-Amber-Dot-Flattop-Mnt-Polarizing-Filter-Dust-Cover-RX01NSN.html

I may have some next week. Send me an EMAIL if you are interested. Price should be below $320. The more, the merrier.

Sorry guys. My source has dropped the ball on this. I will post when I get more info.