Sign in to follow this  
fadigi

Firing blank ammo

Is a starter gun a firearm according to NJ law?

I don't know.

A quick search brings up conflicting opinions.

According to the Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(3), a “firearm” is defined as “(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon.”

http://www.guns.com/2014/01/03/new-jerseys-graves-act-requires-registration-bb-guns-strict-penalties-violations/

Readily be converted?

And....http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/15391-starter-pistol-type-gun/

What are the laws regarding firing blank ammo. What I've read is confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What exactly is your context?  Stage Production?  Memorial Day Parade?  Military Funeral?  We need more than a half-assed question before we go into "war and peace" mode to cover every possible contingency....

What exactly is your context?  Stage Production?  Memorial Day Parade?  Military Funeral?  We need more than a half-assed question before we go into "war and peace" mode to cover every possible contingency....

You forgot, At your neighbor as an April Fools Day joke?

Anybody else hear anything besides CRICKETS???

I can't speak for other areas, but New Jersey Administrative Code has specifics for use of blanks on WMA properties that are specific for "dog training."

(I.E. Take your pointing dog out, train them on live birds, shoot your blank gun to duplicate live fire, train them to acclimate to live fire, steady to shot, etc. There are also bird and retriever launchers that fire a primer or blank for types of marker and retriever training for retrieving breeds.)

The statement under training for NJDEP Div. of F&W;

"Starter pistols, dummies launchers and other noise making devices, which are not capable of firing a projectile that could cause harm, may be used."

...I have the grenade launching cup and would like to shoot a "grenade" ( tennis ball) ...

In a NJ Prosecutor's eye you're burning propellant to launch a projectile, AKA a firearm discharge.

Where are you planning on doing this?  If it's on property in a municipality with a "no discharge" ordinance, then you'll likely be breaking a law.  If there's no "no discharge" ordinance, then have fun.

I'm somewhat in the same boat - I have a Yugo SKS with grenade launcher, I recently bought a practice grenade for it from overseas and some blanks to launch it with.  I'll be waiting until I get out to the private outdoor shooting range I have access to before I try it.

I have an Ishapore no.1 Mk 3 that I've restored. I have the grenade launching cup and would like to shoot a "grenade" ( tennis ball) . I've heard it can go 200 Yds. That's the reason for my question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take it to a range and shoot it or on private property where discharge isn't prohibited and you are good to go.

My next door was firing blanks. He went to a doctor and they found an early brain tumor. He was very lucky. He had surgery and two years later his wife had twins.  What a way to find out you have a brain tumor. 

I feel as if key points of this story are missing.

Unless he experienced hearing difficulty and that's why he visited a Doc?...

Sigh. :roulette:  Yes, exactly what made a doctors visit necessary. He skimmed over the facts relating to blank ammo and jumped right to the happy ending.

I can hypothesize just as well as you, but if ex-carney man feels the need to he will further elaborate on his story....which is why I quoted his post to appease my curiosity.

Sigh. :roulette:  Yes, exactly what made a doctors visit necessary. He skimmed over the facts relating to blank ammo and jumped right to the happy ending.

I can hypothesize just as well as you, but if ex-carney man feels the need to he will further elaborate on his story....which is why I quoted his post to appease my curiosity.

Just speculation but that's what I thought so I posted it.

Ex-carney man: Fill us in on this, very curious what happened to require a Doc's visit?

Yep that's what happen they were trying to have kids.  He thought the problem was with her. She went and got checked out and was fine so they tested him.   She was still on the fertility drugs, so my guess is that's why twins.  He was lucky they got his tumor early.  I'm glad he's okay Good neighbors are hard to find.