John Boy

How to have a longarm serial number traced to insure not stolen?

Hmm...Calling one's Congress elected person is a way to have NCIC accessed for stolen firearms ... Thanks Griz for the lead to read up aboit NCIC

To a Member of Congress or staff acting upon the member's behalf whom the member or staff requests the information on behalf of and at the request of the individual who is the subject of the record

How do you know any firearm bought FTF has not been the subject of illegal activity? You don't! Just goes with the territory.  A FID is not required for ownership in this state.  So it is just another piece of property.  Pay your money and take  your chances. 

"Family Owned" is a curious description! Either he owns it or he does not! 

That quote talks about calling in for "your own record", not for a firearm that you "suspect" is stolen.. isnt it ?

Jack - No.  The query subject would be by providing the serial number as the look up in the database

D. Stolen Gun File: 1. Stolen guns. 2. Recovered guns, when ownership   of which has not been established.

Get ID from the seller and a receipt, as well as COE. I've attached fillable .pdf versions of both. The receipt is one that I use.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bill of Sale - With fill-ins.pdfBlank COE.pdf

Bob - Thanks!  That Bill of Sale pdf is the cat's meow.

Believe I'll take my chances it's a clean rifle and use the BOS.  The price is right for a 30-06 Remington 7400 that's 95 plus with a missing magazine

So let's move on to the next topic and thanks everyone for your input

in my opinion, if there's a reason you want to do this, there's something that just doesn't seem "right". most likely something about the seller's triggering your spider sense. or at least that's what'd make me wanna check. if something seems off to me about someone selling a gun i want......i'd be passing on it. i value my anal virginity,.

How do you know any firearm bought FTF has not been the subject of illegal activity? You don't! Just goes with the territory.

TBH, the same is true with any used firearm, one bought from an FFL as well. How do you know that used 870 the dealer bought from the old widow wasn't used to whack Jimmy Hoffa, Waldo, 3 nuns, and bus full of prostitutes? You don't.   Theft however is a bit different, assuming the person who lost it has reported and had the serial number and the state didn't lose the information.

in my opinion, if there's a reason you want to do this, there's something that just doesn't seem "right". most likely something about the seller's triggering your spider sense.

Or it could be that the buyer is contemplating his first FTF purchase and is a bit apprehensive on general basis, because our laws are so oppressive one feels slightly guilty for even considering doing such a terrible as thing as legally purchasing a gun from another person.

Or it could be that the buyer is contemplating his first FTF purchase and is a bit apprehensive on general basis, because our laws are so oppressive one feels slightly guilty for even considering doing such a terrible as thing as legally purchasing a gun from another person.

^^^^^This..... probably!