Sign in to follow this  
Nhawk

Xfer just for warranty?

I just had a rifle come in and there is some defect that requires warranty repair.

I didn't take possession of it yet (xfer+NICS), so when I asked the xfer agent to ship it to the manufacturer, they said that it would require a xfer to be done 3 times: to the manufacturer, back to the xfer agent and then to me (and thus 3x the fees)

Is that true that xfer agent can't ship the firearm without doing this to/from xfers?

One of the FFL's on here can correct me if I'm wrong. Transfer #1 is to the FFL - the firearm is entered into his bound book. There is a separate bound book for repairs, so transfer #2 is to the repair bound book. Transfer #3 would be when he receives the gun back from the OEM. Transfer #4 would be to you. Transfers 1,2 & 3 do not require NICS - only #4 when you take possession. That's not to say he won't charge you for all the additional paperwork.

If I am correct in the above, it would probably be easier to take possession and then you contact the OEM and let them issue a call ticket. The OEM can ship the gun directly back to you.

FFL's please chime in.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Pizza Bob. Seems strange that FFL can't simply ship it to manufacturer w/o all this extra paperwork. Speaking with FFL, that's what I decided to do... Take possession and then ship to manufacturer myself. I was just trying to have the repair done while I wait for the new FID with my new address.