JohnnyB

Funny how ignorant PA people are of NJ gun laws!

I stopped in at Surplus City recently and tried to buy some .22s. They had 500rd bulk Remington Thunderbolts and CCI Mini Mag 300 packs both for $30 with tax included.

I told the guy behind the counter I wanted a box of the Mini Mags. He told me I could not buy them since I was from Jersey and hollow points are illegal there. I explained to him

that was not the case but he told me I was wrong. So I got a box of the Thunderbolts to add to ever growing pile of Thunderbolts!

I also purchased a rifle while there and was lectured to go straight home with no deviations as he had read NJ law. I went on to explain that my FPID card gives me the right to keep this

stupid bolt action .22 or any other long arm in my trunk as long as I want. He lectured me that if I got pulled over I would be a Felon!

How can an older guy, BTW, I think he was the owner! Have a gun shop so close to the NJ border and seem completely ignorant of NJ Statues regarding guns???

Has anyone else experienced this??? Which PA shops are good to deal with for us stuck here in the PRNJ???

You mean, not only are NJ laws so messed up that NJ's own citizens can't keep them straight but those from out of state don't know them either? Shocker!

But really....he should at least have known those simple ones without lecturing you or refusing sale of CCI :)

You can't fault the guy for not knowing his NJ gun laws. I'm sure a shocking number of people think that hollowpoints are illegal, you can't have a bayonet with your Mosin, etc. Even in NJ I'm sure there are FFLs that don't know their stuff. Also, unfortunately, I've found a lot of gun stores have smug attitudes about these things.

I think I even saw a seller on here that wouldn't sell ARs or AR lowers to those under 21...

You can't fault the guy for not knowing his NJ gun laws. I'm sure a shocking number of people think that hollowpoints are illegal, you can't have a bayonet with your Mosin, etc. Even in NJ I'm sure there are FFLs that don't know their stuff. Also, unfortunately, I've found a lot of gun stores have smug attitudes about these things.

I think I even saw a seller on here that wouldn't sell ARs or AR lowers to those under 21...

Lowers can't be sold to buyers under 21.  That's a federal thing.

wow all my experiences at Surplus City have been pleasant, and non troublesome.

It was pleasant. Just this older heavy set man behind the counter lecturing me. I probably could have bought the CCIs had I pushed it!

I just didn't want to argue with him anymore.

It was stupid. When I told him I buy hollow points in NJ all the time, he said "you might get away with having a couple, but 300 is asking for trouble since they are illegal in Jersey"

I've spoken to LEOs in NJ who think hollow points are illegal to posses (except by them). I've tried to explain that they're pretty much regulated by the same rules as pistols but they just don't want to accept it. (Strange that I can buy bulk boxes of 500 HPs when they're "illegal"). From what I understand, a few people have gotten a pretty good chunk of change from the state for false arrest regarding HPs.

Why would a store from a different state want to take any chances with NJ gun laws and risk their business for a couple of people? You have to look at it that way. NJ law does state that AK types are considered assault weapons.. So to the letter of the law they are sort of correct. Hollow points are another thing.. I don't blame them one bit. Their livelihood is not worth the possibility of being taken to court by the NJSP for stupid things that they don't normally have to deal with when servicing every other person who walks through their doors.

so... a store that operates in a different state doesn't know the extensive rules of gun law in NJ? sorry but this falls into the who cares category for me.... what I found frustrating was the vast amount of NJ FFLs! that appeared unclear on NJ law.. the law for the state they are actually operating in.. 

I guess since you purchased the rifle from that store he knew you were from NJ,  I never let anyone know I'm from this state.    When I travel through PA with the family I have everyone with me purchase what ever the "limit" is on .22s 

Surplus City is one of my favorite destinations when I'm doing the "tour". I have purchased a long gun there. I have taken several people from NJ there and they have purchased handguns (shipping to a NJ FFL was no hassle). Bought lots of ammunition there (bulk prices often as good as on-line) and spent much time talking to the owner (I don't think, from his description, that the OP was). They often have a great selection of used revolvers, as well as new - all with competitive pricing. Just recently took my youngest son there, who purchased a Ruger SR1911 as birthday present from his wife. Great store, nice people.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

YMMV at any given store, whether in this state or others. I had a "kid" at Dicks in PA tell me that BB/pellet guns we OK to buy without paperwork even though I clearly identified myself as a NJ resident. I've also had PA FFLs tell me that I could buy anything I wanted and drive it back to Jersey to get modified by my local gunsmith. YMMV.

Oh, I could have been OK buying it like that, but after I identified myself as a resident of NJ, that should have set off the alarm.

What alarm exactly?  PK-90 is so right and YOU hereby fall victim to what he stated!  You THINK you know the laws, but really do NOT.  In the case of BB hand guns, they're not illegal to purchase in NJ, they simply need a P2P (just the same as a single-shot black powder caplock or flintlock OR a Cap and Ball revolver).  Purchase them in Free America and they're NOT considered guns.  They only turn-into EVIL DEATH MACHINES upon crossing the border.  No mandatory registration in NJ, so if you treat them as if they ARE guns (stored in a locked sedans' trunk) as you cross the border into the PRNJ, you can drive them (all 100 of them since you bought-out Wally World) to any EXEMPT location where you're allowed to transport hand guns.  Most folks with 100 BB guns would go straight home and then have their kid help unload the car!

Having PA FFL's tell ya that you can buy an AR with more than 2 evil features on it and simply drive it to your Gunsmith are ill-informed to say the least.  Of course you're right about THAT one...

Not trying to split hairs, just trying to illustrate how easy it is to not KNOW everything........

Dave

Purveyor of the 100 hand guns in yer trunk test

I've never been lectured at Dunkelberger's in Stroud. 

There's some biblical verse about memorizing all the laws. It's impossible, not only w/ respect to guns. How many of you knew it was a U.S. federal crime to own, here in NJ, any fish dead or alive that is prohibited not only under US law, but by any other country? It doesn't matter if you bought it through a legit dealer or killed it in self defense. 

The guy should know better, but I can't really blame him when he's probably not had to think about such silly things for his entire life and one guy walks in from NJ every other day to buy earmuffs.

I am much more concerned that he was even considering selling you ThunderBlots. 

What alarm exactly?  PK-90 is so right and YOU hereby fall victim to what he stated!  You THINK you know the laws, but really do NOT.  In the case of BB hand guns, they're not illegal to purchase in NJ, they simply need a P2P (just the same as a single-shot black powder caplock or flintlock OR a Cap and Ball revolver).  Purchase them in Free America and they're NOT considered guns.  They only turn-into EVIL DEATH MACHINES upon crossing the border.  No mandatory registration in NJ, so if you treat them as if they ARE guns (stored in a locked sedans' trunk) as you cross the border into the PRNJ, you can drive them (all 100 of them since you bought-out Wally World) to any EXEMPT location where you're allowed to transport hand guns.  Most folks with 100 BB guns would go straight home and then have their kid help unload the car!

Having PA FFL's tell ya that you can buy an AR with more than 2 evil features on it and simply drive it to your Gunsmith are ill-informed to say the least.  Of course you're right about THAT one...

Not trying to split hairs, just trying to illustrate how easy it is to not KNOW everything........

Dave

Purveyor of the 100 hand guns in yer trunk test

I won't hijack this thread with this debate as we've done it elsewhere time and time again.  I bought it keeping NJ's stupid firearm laws in mind.  The sales clerk recommended that I buy a Gamo Whisper, but as I didn't want to have the potential for problems, I explained that it could potentially cause problems.  I chose to avoid potential problems on both accounts, even though I purcahsed it within the letter of PA law.  (My thinking was that since I had the paperwork, once I crossed back into NJ, it would be less likely to cause me problems.)  It's ridiculous that a line on a map in this allegedly free country determines these types of things and has the potential to make Shaneen Allens out of all of us.  I have dealt with risk management on a professional level all of my working life and felt that what I did was best for me.  If others are willing to take that risk, no matter how small the chances are of something going wrong, that's their decision.  I seek to avoid problems.

I find it funny how the OP, and others in this state, think they are so special that businesses in neighboring states should know our gun laws. If I had a gun store in PA I would refuse all sales to NJ residents

So long as you don't buy a banned gun/device by name (the evil whisper by Gamo w/ its' evil suppressor), there isn't any risk to manage......

FWIW I don't debate, I merely state facts.

There are plenty of NJ residents with Whispers in their safes, all bought legally w/o any evil intent.  Lots of teenagers probably have them in their closets, after receiving them for Easter presents, since Spring is an excellent time of year to gift a teenager their own "grown-up toy".  The Pinhead that runs the NJSP FIU issued a "decision letter" which will eventually be knocked-down via a lawsuit initiated by the first kid to get arrested with this evil death machine.  It will be a Shaneen Allen Story, take-2!  Nappen already has it on his radar, lol!  I'm waiting for the law that says we can't BREATHE AIR, lol!

...via a lawsuit initiated by the first kid to get arrested with this evil death machine.  It will be a Shaneen Allen Story, take-2!  Nappen already has it on his radar, lol!  I'm waiting for the law that says we can't BREATHE AIR, lol!

Specialized practice:  http://www.hudsoncountycriminallawyer.com/bayonne-nj-bb-gun-attorney/  "Possession of a BB rifle under circumstances not manifestly appropriate is a third degree felony. (Example – a pellet gun hidden under the driver’s seat of a car would give rise to this inference)"

There's too much grey area for my personal comfort, thanks.

Back to the conversation on hollow points. I thought this was a great way to explain it: hollow points are illegal to have in your possession while committing any crime. I.E. if you (or your kids) have a house party and it gets broken up by cops and they find drugs, and you have HP in the house, that is an additional crime committed. The possession of the HP is not the crime in itself

Back to the conversation on hollow points. I thought this was a great way to explain it: hollow points are illegal to have in your possession while committing any crime. I.E. if you (or your kids) have a house party and it gets broken up by cops and they find drugs, and you have HP in the house, that is an additional crime committed. The possession of the HP is not the crime in itself

Absolutely untrue. Hollowpoint possession is illegal with exceptions, and is regulated almost identically as handgun possession, except that it has less exceptions to make it legal. For instance, it is legal to possess a handgun while moving from one home to another, it is not legal to possess hollow points under that scenario.