pbkid6974

"FAL" parts kit and build.

so i picked up a parts kit from the Sarco booth at the Oaks show yesterday. i always wanted a FAL but since they are illegal in NJ i'll have to settle for a SG58 :xD:. i haven't really researched into them too much, so any help/info will be greatly appreciated. does anyone know if there is a way to tell where this kit came from? They told me it was a "navy pattern" metric kit... i just wanted it for the polymer furniture over the heavy ass wood and it was the only one that had a barrel. its covered in cosmoline and needs a good cleaning but ill wait until i buy the receiver to do that. other than that it is in great shape and came with a stainless barrel. i'm fairly certain all i need to buy to complete is a few tools, vise, a receiver, some mags, and a muzzle device. i can add pics if there is any interest.

Coonan makes a nice receiver . its not a simple build , timing the barrel and figuring out what locking shoulder takes some doing.

I used a large vice with some aluminum plates to protect the receiver and locked the barrel with a large wrench. and on the locking shoulder I used the

smooth end of drill bits, found one that works and used a dial caliper. When I ordered my shoulder ,I ordered a larger one and filed it to fit. Some say dont do that and some say its OK. On timing the barrel you may need to remove some materiel from the barrel, a lathe or drill press works for that with a file , but go slow. Lube the treads on the barrel, till you have it where you want then clean off the lube, I used lock tite just because .

good luck and start reading on the net.

When its done you will love it, and get the head space gauges and check it now and then. Just a note 308 and 7.62x51 are not the same

Coonan makes a nice receiver . its not a simple build , timing the barrel and figuring out what locking shoulder takes some doing.

I used a large vice with some aluminum plates to protect the receiver and locked the barrel with a large wrench. and on the locking shoulder I used the

smooth end of drill bits, found one that works and used a dial caliper. When I ordered my shoulder ,I ordered a larger one and filed it to fit. Some say dont do that and some say its OK. On timing the barrel you may need to remove some materiel from the barrel, a lathe or drill press works for that with a file , but go slow. Lube the treads on the barrel, till you have it where you want then clean off the lube, I used lock tite just because .

good luck and start reading on the net.

When its done you will love it, and get the head space gauges and check it now and then. Just a note 308 and 7.62x51 are not the same

i should head space for .308 then i can shoot either one correct? I think I'm going to do with the dsa receiver. I need to get a vise or borrow one.

listen to Ted and get a Coonan receiver. Most likely you bought an Argentine FAL kit. 

Spent some time on the FAL Forums, plenty info there!!

Also order the Gunplumber's Guide to Gunsmithing. FN FAL & L1A1 DVD & Workbook.$65 (+$10 S/H) from here: http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/ars-misc/page-ars-misc.shtml

That would be the best $75 you will ever spent

does anyone know is there are 20/15 metric mags available? or will i have to buy some out of state and convert them before bringing them home? i found http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/fn-fal/fal-10-20-block.html, so ill just cut them in half and epoxy into the spring so they cant be converted back

digging up this thread with some good news, SHES 99% DONE!!! just waiting one the locking shoulder. ran into some barrel timing issues but a little delicate work with a file made quick work of that. and got the barrel to time up perfectly at 10 o'clock. had another issue with the cocking rod, the pin hole that holds in the stop lug was too small so i had to drill it out. those were the only two issues i ran into. here are some pics

dfe237fd-0637-4f0a-a929-ceceec5817d6.jpg

92ba73cf-0643-4d80-b61a-f5b4ff528d71.jpg

20160516_190233.jpg