FishNHard

Any opinions on the mossberg mvp in 223

What a coincidence. I was just looking up these. From what I've read some people scoff at a 556 bolt action. To me I like the idea of a bolt action that takes the ammo and mags I already have. Really interested if people have an opinion.

love mine.  put a few hundred rounds through it upstate this past weekend.  i have the 24" bbl.  it will group right around 1"@ 200 yds.  was consistently hitting a 4" plate at 320 yards in the wind.  great gun.  never shoot my AR after getting this.  just note that it doesn't like cheap plastic mags.  regular steel or aluminum mags work best for me.

I just arbitrarily looked on Gunbroker. A Varmint model scoped (who knows what kind of scope) for a little over $700 and it takes AR mags... and comes with a bipod?

Hoky smokes Bullwinkle.

Seems like a deal to me since I just paid $100 for a 10 rd, mag for my Savage Model 12.

If when you get this please send back range reports. I dont have confidence in mossberg at the 308 level. Mossberg nighttrain 308 was a complete disaster. 223 at 320 yards with wind 4" plate and hitting it majority of the times. I gotta see that. And i said majority to be nice. If its true then ill buy one.

I really don't appreciate you implying that I'm a liar. Maybe I got a good one. Maybe I'm a good shooter, but I have no vested interest in pushing people one way or another on a purchase. Just providing my real world feedback.

If when you get this please send back range reports. I dont have confidence in mossberg at the 308 level. Mossberg nighttrain 308 was a complete disaster. 223 at 320 yards with wind 4" plate and hitting it majority of the times. I gotta see that. And i said majority to be nice. If its true then ill buy one.

And why was the Night Train a disaster? Please explain.

I just arbitrarily looked on Gunbroker. A Varmint model scoped (who knows what kind of scope) for a little over $700 and it takes AR mags... and comes with a bipod?

Hoky smokes Bullwinkle.

Seems like a deal to me since I just paid $100 for a 10 rd, mag for my Savage Model 12.

Frank I think it's a 3-9x Barska. Not worth the extra money IMO. It's next on my list for a rifle. I'm unsure of what optic to put on it.

Edit: It's a UTG 3-9×32.

I'm looking at the new Vortex due out this summer. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle

I'm wondering the difference between that and the Razor HD 1-6, aside from $1300

Ok if I sell it will be a 4-16 anyway.

Just saying Vortex is nice but I think you can get more bang for the buck. What's the name worth to you?

Name does not concern me. Duribility, quality, and clarity do. I'm looking for a rugged scope that performs.

Chris - What I'm saying is Vortex may be over priced and there's good Jap glass equal or better that could be cheaper.

I'm looking at the new Vortex due out this summer. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle

I'm wondering the difference between that and the Razor HD 1-6, aside from $1300

Would the crossfire ii in 3-9x40mm be a decent scope on a mvp patrol?

I bought the MVP Varmint scoped model in .223/5.56 in March. Put about 400 rounds through it so far. Only reason i have the scoped model is that's what was available. It's a Barska 4-16x with a duplex reticle. I'll probably replace it at some point but I'm planning on a new bolt action in a larger caliber thats more suited to longer range. So this MVP may sit as is for a while.

The bipod is fine. No issues. I think its a UTG.

The mag that came with it is crap. I have to hold it up to avoid a misfeed when bringing the bolt forward. Replaced it with 15 rd magpul and it works fine. Little sloppy but it works.

The bolt is really sloppy when drawn fully back. Thats just how it is. It isn't a 700 action. But it works fine.

So far it seems pretty accurate. My technique sucks, but I've had some 2" groups at 100 yds when I am paying attention to what I'm doing. 2" at 100 yds isn't great for most of you but given my lack of proficiency, it probably means the gun is reasonably accurate.

The trigger is nice. I haven't made any adjustments or even measured the pull. But when it breaks you don't know its coming. I'm guessing its pretty close to 2 lbs.

The reason i bought it was i wanted a bolt action that would shoot 5.56 and didn't want to pay $1500 at this point. I'll try to shoot good groups at 100 and 200 yds next time out and give a more useful report.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I'd like the action to be less sloppy and the mag well to be tighter, but i can live with it as it is.

Rub it in. I budgeted some money to get a patrol or varmint as a Father's Day gift to myself. Then our dog needed surgery. No more gifts for 3-4 years.

Sorry to hear that.  Welcome to shoot mine at Range-14.  Might be there Sunday. If not then, definitely the following weekend.  I'll even spot you the ammo.