sage613

Four rules of Bike Riding in NJ

As it warms up (a bit) in this cursed state, I decided to go out this AM for a bike ride

I realized that we need "Four Rules of BIke Safety" just like 'Four rules of Gun Safety"

1. Any car can kill you

2.The car that you don't see, is the one that will kill you

3.The car that kills you will be driven by a 90 pound woman in yoga pants who is talking on her cell phone while driving a 6000 pound vehicle

4.When she hits you (and she will) and you are lying on the sidewalk, bleeding out, she will clutch her I-Phone and scream "O My God-do you have to report this"?

As it warms up (a bit) in this cursed state, I decided to go out this AM for a bike ride

I realized that we need "Four Rules of BIke Safety" just like 'Four rules of Gun Safety"

1. Any car can kill you

2.The car that you don't see, is the one that will kill you

3.The car that kills you will be driven by a 90 pound woman in yoga pants who is talking on her cell phone while driving a 6000 pound vehicle

4.When she hits you (and she will) and you are lying on the sidewalk, bleeding out, she will clutch her I-Phone and scream "O My God-do you have to report this"?

5.Regardless how minor the incident looks like, always get a police report. Everything is fine and dandy right there on the side of the road until the faulty party gets the repair estimate.

Huh????

0e6a4b8287f4683d2dff70ecabb40d22adf9b07c

^ talk about getting my blood boiling. I hate those guys they make me insane and there is a ton of them in Hunterdon county that ride side by side and don't share the road.  

they're prevalent down here in camden county too. they ride in the middle of the road, in gaggles. they run redlights almost half the time. they go out in the center lane of intersections to make their turns.

i dunno if the rules changed, but when i used to be on a bicycle a lot, we had to stay on the shoulder, and we were supposed to dismount, and walk out bikes across intersections. now? the fuckers are right out there. and they have the gall to think that a 230 pound meatbag squished into spandex 2 sizes too small will win against a 2.5 ton guided missile.

and yea.....not much pisses me off these days. these guys do.

at one of my former jobs we turned the right side windshield squirter on the work truck to the side so it would spray the bikers that were blocking up the road. Disclaimer- Yes it was a dick move and we would only do it to people who were blocking the road we would not spray the ones that stayed on the side of the road. 

Jeez - I thought it was "Did you hear that? I thought I felt a bump!!" or "OMG look what you did to my CAR!!"

i've had them bolt out in front of me at a point where it was pure luck(on their part) that i didn't hit them. then they flip me the bird, as if it's my fault. well guess what? maybe if you can't see a 7ft tall 20ft long truck, you'd better go get your eyes checked. or maybe just stay the hell out of the traffic lanes. until there is registration and insurance on a bicycle like we have to pay on cars, trucks, and motorcycles, they have no acceptable place other than the shoulder.

now that spring might actually be springing, we'll be seeing tons of those asshammers here in cherry hill.

Can only speak for myself, but I try to stay as far right as possible when cycling. Most drivers don't realize that cyclists cannot (and aren't required to) ride on the shoulder due to gravel/debris/salt, especially during the springtime.

With that said, I have at least several very close calls every year.

99% of the time, the culprits are either:

Full size SUVs

Diesel pickups

Minivans

Bicycle riders - especially those groups in their fancy color coordinated bike gear would be far better off for both themselves and the rest of the people privileged to operate on the roads IF they followed the law as required of every other motor vehicle.

And riding 2 abreast in traffic is not one of them.

39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles. 
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations. 
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions:

1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket;

2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right;

3) To pass a slower moving vehicle;

4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic;

5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file.

Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

2) is frequently not understood by motor vehicle operators.

we all know how shitty the roads are right now (and even after they get "patched" they're just as shitty), so if you've seen a cyclist weaving out into the lane there's a damn good chance there's something there they couldn't/don't want to run over. what is merely disturbs your vente late a little can be deadly to a bicycle moving at a decent pace.

This is OK. Group of people riding their bikes on the shoulder with room to spare, out of the way of traffic, double up if you want to.

group_bike.jpg

Riding-East-Bell-Road.jpg

This is also OK. Group of people riding their bikes on the road with little/no shoulder. All lined up one in front of another, out of the way of traffic.

riding-the-bicycle-train.jpg

This, is NOT OK. Group of people riding their bikes taking up the entire lane.

IMG_1826.jpg

group_ride.jpg

dolomites_20110810_img_0013_300x225.jpg

This... this is ok. This I would slow down on purpose and drive behind all day, errday...

girlonbike.jpg

girls-and-bicycles-11.jpg