sage613

Four rules of Bike Riding in NJ

I ride a stationary trainer indoors. Too effing dangerous to ride on the road. And the bike people that have a brain know where they should and shouldn't be. Only problem is 80% of the ones you see out there are clueless. They THINK they're Lance Armstrong but they're more like Roseanne Barr in spandex.

We have an annual ride for charity that goes right in front of my house, therefore I have trouble getting into and out of my driveway. Last year as I was passing a group I gave a slight bump on my horn just to let them know I was passing. A guy in the middle of the group looked back at me and proceeded to give me the finger, at that time his handle bar came loose, he lost control and dumped the bike right in front of me. I laid on the horn to let all his buddies see what happened and also witness I was no where near him when he dumped the bike. He picked up the bike and tossed it at least 10 feet onto the road, TWICE and then gave it a good toss onto a strangers lawn.

I waved and smiled ear to ear as I drove by.

I have an infestation of the entitled, spandex-wearing, color coordinated, wannabe "pro" riders in my area.  Constantly see them 3 or 4 abreast on roads, acting like they own the road as they meander along at 20 in a 45.  I've had a group going up the hill I live on, on the wrong side of the road, on a sharp curve while I was going down it.  They had the gall to try to yell at me...yeah it's MY fault you're 5 abreast and in the oncoming lane on a blind curve.

I really wish I could fit a train horn in my car.  I'd love a 145dB horn for oblivious idiots of all varieties - bikers, idiots on their cell phones, idiots not on their cell phones, etc...

painting all bike riders with the same brush as those that dont follow the rules and dont care about sharing the road with the cars is like painting all gun owners and cops with the same paint brush as those that have embarrased us with their irresponsibility, recklessness of disregard for life. Its not fair and i am disheartened to come to one of my favorite forums and read the cyclist bashing.   I would urge you all to respect those cyclist that are riding responsibly, they are just people that have the same passion for their sport as we do here. And even if they are acting poorly, killling them or threatening them is just another form of road rage that only leads to trouble.   They are husbands, fathers, mothers and daughters.  They may even be the EMERGENCY ROOM doctor that you might wind up seeing some day.  Be nice.   They are trying to get out and exercise and enjoy the bike.  

Man I hate those (spandex-clad bike riders/gun nuts with their assault weapons).

It really pisses me off when they (ride on the road and slow me down / make noise at the range all day). 

I don't give a crap if they are legally allowed to (ride on the road / shoot outdoors ), I hope they all ( crash and break their faces / have their guns blow up in their faces). 

Whenever I can, I'm going to ( harass them when I'm in my car / call in noise complaints against the range and ask the township to shut it down). 

Nahh, I've never (been on a road bike / fired a gun), but I know all I need to know from what I've seen of these a-holes with their (spandex / black rifles and tac-ti-cool gear) thinking they're ( Tour De France racers / Tier 1 Operators).  Fugg 'em!

that was a horrible thing to do but jezzuz I really did lmao!

yeah its horrible, but still kinda funny

Well, I don't have quorums with bikers in general. Just the idiots who ride down my road in groups and block the road and don't reduce down from 2-3 a breast to single file when traffic approaches. There are also people who ride single file and they are cool with me. 

Well, I don't have quorums with bikers in general. Just the idiots who ride down my road in groups and block the road and don't reduce down from 2-3 a breast to single file when traffic approaches. There are also people who ride single file and they are cool with me. 

I'll give you that and I hate them too. I scream at them too as I ride by them or as they  ride by me while I'm running. Yeah, not only I'm a spandex wearer ---shorts only, regular shirt---crotch flosser rider but I also run on the roads. I'll take a double dose of that hate.

WARNING****RANT ON**

Anyway, because of all that, I either ride alone or with just one friend. And even then we ride single file, a couple of bike lengths apart in case the leader takes a spill.

I ride on the shoulder when I can or as close to it the rest of the time.

I signal all the turns I make and obey all traffic signs and lights. Not only I'm keenly aware that I will lose badly any match up against a car but also, because I share the road with them, I have the same rights as they but also have the same obligations and must obey the same rules. Bike riders do get traffic tickets, too, believe or not.

I have a rear red flashing  light and always wear something reflective usually a safety green type shirt. I'm not a small, spindly guy. There's no way I'm not seen.

Yet, almost every single time out there there's always some jackwagon looking to amuse himself at my expense. My all time favorites are:

1-Pass as close as possible to my helmet while the opposite lane is clear of traffic for miles.

2-Do as above but have the passenger scream as loud as he can as you passe me.

3-Do as above but have your dog bark instead.

4-Do as above but lean on the horn.

5-All of the above at the same time

6-Rev your harley as loud as it goes as you pass me while you play the radio as loud as it goes. Now, seriously, ridding a harley with the radio playing??? Because you see, there isn't anything funnier than startle causing him to fall and be dragged to his death under your rear wheels. Well at the least the lawyers will have fun.

7-Beat me to the intersection and then make a right turn right in front of me cutting me off. General warning: next time I won't try so hard to stop and if you end up with a dent on your passenger door and land inside your car, the lawyers will sort it out.

8-Pass me on the downhills and proceeded to slow down.

And there's more, but you get the general idea.

It has gotten to the point that I'm going to get a go pro and wear it on my helmet. Any unwarranted aggressiveness towards me and I'm stopping at the next police station.

I just want to go out for a few hours alone with my thoughts and not be hassled. Leave me the f alone.

/rant.

Man I hate those (spandex-clad bike riders/gun nuts with their assault weapons).

It really pisses me off when they (ride on the road and slow me down / make noise at the range all day). 

I don't give a crap if they are legally allowed to (ride on the road / shoot outdoors ), I hope they all ( crash and break their faces / have their guns blow up in their faces). 

Whenever I can, I'm going to ( harass them when I'm in my car / call in noise complaints against the range and ask the township to shut it down). 

Nahh, I've never (been on a road bike / fired a gun), but I know all I need to know from what I've seen of these a-holes with their (spandex / black rifles and tac-ti-cool gear) thinking they're ( Tour De France racers / Tier 1 Operators).  Fugg 'em!

I'd venture that most of us complaining about bike riders have been on the road on a bike. and that we stayed on the shoulder out of the way of cars, so as to not impede traffic.

I really wish I could fit a train horn in my car. I'd love a 145dB horn for oblivious idiots of all varieties - bikers, idiots on their cell phones, idiots not on their cell phones, etc...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/kleinn-horns-train-horns/p3091904.jcwx?filterid=d2171y2015g36u0j1

They don't take up a lot of room.

I'll give you that and I hate them too. I scream at them too as I ride by them or as they ride by me while I'm running. Yeah, not only I'm a spandex wearer ---shorts only, regular shirt---crotch flosser rider but I also run on the roads. I'll take a double dose of that hate.

WARNING****RANT ON**

Anyway, because of all that, I either ride alone or with just one friend. And even then we ride single file, a couple of bike lengths apart in case the leader takes a spill.

I ride on the shoulder when I can or as close to it the rest of the time.

I signal all the turns I make and obey all traffic signs and lights. Not only I'm keenly aware that I will lose badly any match up against a car but also, because I share the road with them, I have the same rights as they but also have the same obligations and must obey the same rules. Bike riders do get traffic tickets, too, believe or not.

I have a rear red flashing light and always wear something reflective usually a safety green type shirt. I'm not a small, spindly guy. There's no way I'm not seen.

Yet, almost every single time out there there's always some jackwagon looking to amuse himself at my expense. My all time favorites are:

1-Pass as close as possible to my helmet while the opposite lane is clear of traffic for miles.

2-Do as above but have the passenger scream as loud as he can as you passe me.

3-Do as above but have your dog bark instead.

4-Do as above but lean on the horn.

5-All of the above at the same time

6-Rev your harley as loud as it goes as you pass me while you play the radio as loud as it goes. Now, seriously, ridding a harley with the radio playing??? Because you see, there isn't anything funnier than startle causing him to fall and be dragged to his death under your rear wheels. Well at the least the lawyers will have fun.

7-Beat me to the intersection and then make a right turn right in front of me cutting me off. General warning: next time I won't try so hard to stop and if you end up with a dent on your passenger door and land inside your car, the lawyers will sort it out.

8-Pass me on the downhills and proceeded to slow down.

And there's more, but you get the general idea.

It has gotten to the point that I'm going to get a go pro and wear it on my helmet. Any unwarranted aggressiveness towards me and I'm stopping at the next police station.

I just want to go out for a few hours alone with my thoughts and not be hassled. Leave me the f alone.

/rant.

#7 the vehicle in front of you has the right of way . If you hit him you are at fault.

I ride  a road bike in Spandex and also a cruiser in basically street clothes. It's all good.

But let's be fair. There are plenty of A holes driving cars. There are plenty of ignorant dopes out there in Spandex.

My question is: what are the NJ firearm transport laws for bikes of any type????????????? LOL.

I ride to the range on my fixed-gear off-road bike.  The law only says it has to be unloaded and "in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package OR locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."  I usually have them in a case which I carry inside a pannier on the bike.  Have not taken a long gun, but I think that with an FPID card, a LG strapped to your back would technically satisfy the law.  But that would probably bring way to much undesirable attention in most of NJ.

And I reckon I usually am clad in spandex as that is the most functional attire for the bike.  Most people are fine, but occasionally someone will throw something at me.  Fortunately they don't seem to compensate for the velocity difference between the car and the bike, and they always miss.  I am thinking about running a GoPro for every ride though.  Getting hit by a projectile launched from a motor vehicle could easily kill.

I'm in Somerset County, land of the Lance Armstrong fan club and bicycle anti-destination league. I have no sympathy for the groupriders that block traffic and generally create their own problems, but the riders in this video seem to be doing it the right way. If you look they are all single file, on or at the shoulder and don't appear to be causing any problems. Truck driver here is the problem, not the bikers. Never mind blowing coal at the construction crew...

2) is frequently not understood by motor vehicle operators.

we all know how shitty the roads are right now (and even after they get "patched" they're just as shitty), so if you've seen a cyclist weaving out into the lane there's a damn good chance there's something there they couldn't/don't want to run over. what is merely disturbs your vente late a little can be deadly to a bicycle moving at a decent pace.

He hasn't met my undercarriage yet.

I ride.  Not like those that seem to piss most of you off.  As Alan553 said, don't take your frustrations out on those of us that obey the laws. It irks me too when I see jerks on bikes.  They ruin it for everyone, as displayed here. Please don't use the broad brush.  Hey, we're just like you,...only in spandex :)