Smokin .50

Hog Hunt Friday May 1st, so is anyone interested?? $375 inc. field dressing.

I'm running a Hog Hunt at Mohr's Exotic Island Hunts in Bainbridge, PA on Friday May 1st.  Have (3) OPEN SLOTS AVAILABLE!  Cost is just $375 and includes field dressing by the Guides.  This is a Guided and driven Hunt on a 150 acre island in the middle of the Susquehanna River across from Bainbridge, PA.  This will be my 3rd Hunt with these nice folks.  Hogs are good-eating, farm-raised South Carolina Pigs (no tusks).  A great way to break-into Hunting since NO license is required!  You can use virtually any gun or bow suitable for harvesting a deer.  Hunter Orange vest and hat are required (an Upland bird vest does fine).  Ranges vary, but best guess is 25-45 yards from the game, depending upon the brush conditions on the island.  Interested parties please contact me here.  Be advised we've advertised this availability in multiple locations, so this is strictly on a first-come, first-served basis.  SAFETY is my number one priority, so a telephone interview will be conducted prior to your acceptance.  Age range is well-disciplined teenagers on up to Old Farts like me.  Full payment due at booking if I don't already know you.  For photos and to verify that I'm not making a dime on this, please go to:  www.mohrswidowmaker.com . 

Thanks in advance,

Dave "Rosey" Rosenthal

We're down to (2) slots since i posted this.  PM me here and it will appear as an email in my inbox.  Give me your phone number where and when you can be reached tomorrow (Monday).  

Have a nice Easter!

Dave

One guy (Gary S.) used a 12 ga. w/ 1-ounce Slug, then had another Hunter in our Party put a .40 flatpoint into its' head.  Three used AR-15's (2 of them with 55 gr. factory BALL and the third w/ Hornady red tips).  Head shots worked well, but body shots, not-so-much.  Everything hit with an AR needed more convincing to give-up the ghost.  Proving once again it's nice to KNOW your weapon, one of the AR guys used his new .357 Smith to end his hunt.  That shot was the LOUDEST of any during the entire Hunt.  Made my ears ring, lol!  One guy used a T/C Contender break-action with a rifle-length barrel in .30 Whelen (he makes his own ammo from .30-30 brass).  That round worked really well on a quartering shot through the shoulder and into the heart/lung area.  One and DONE!  I used my .50 cal percussion traditional Hawken-style sidelock muzzleloader w/ 370 grain T/C Maxi-Balls.  Caught him behind the ear with round one and put one more into the head to end the misery quicker.  Those 1/2" HOLES worked quite well!

Had to traverse the island twice to find everything.  Brush was extremely heavy in spots.  20 yards was a long shot distance-wise due to the brush conditions.  Most of us carried a sidearm.  Mine was the only Cap and Ball, and the only sidearm to weigh over 4.5 pounds empty, lol!  I wore it cross-draw to even-out the load from the sling-ed rifle.  Lunch was served in the Guide Shack and was home made sausages on hot dog rolls and soda.

Lots of great camaraderie and exercise too!  Plan on doing another one late this year or early next.

Dave

Let me know about the one late this year.

I wouldn't mind using my AR with 5.56.  I've been reading up on it.  I'm somewhat surprised that they were using regular 55gr ball.  Hornady TAP 5.56 should be ok...   My ammo of choice would be the IMI MK262 clone - 77gr OTM Sierra Matchking rounds...  I've seen a good amount of people taking out hogs with lung shots with 'em.

I'm using Hornady 70gr GMX with very good results and 125 SST in 300BLK. Can't wait to use the Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK.  First I'm hearing using Matchkings as game fodder. 

I'm using Hornady 70gr GMX with very good results and 125 SST in 300BLK. Can't wait to use the Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK.  First I'm hearing using Matchkings as game fodder. 

Why not your .458 socom?

I knew somebody would ask about that.  Not done yet.  Still working on load ladders. Hopefully will be done soon. Hard getting to range. I have a terrible habit of getting distracted in the middle of something and not getting back to it for a while.  Like my 1911 build that's about 1/2 done since like 2000.  Just me I guess.

Sounds like it was a good time.  I've never hunted, but if I ever start, I think it will be with hogs.

BTW, it's interesting to note that those big, scary AR 15 "weapons of war" that the libs all want to ban couldn't even

take down a hog.

Is the hunt a lot of stalking and walking?

Yes it surely is!  A 150 acre island in the middle of the Susquehanna River.  Some open areas, but mostly heavy brush, cat-briars, thorns, trees, etc.

Hogs are found everywhere, from stem to stern.  And they don't sit too still.  This is NOT a hunt over a feed bin!  LOTS of energy needed to do this.  Glad I left the third gun in the car!

***********UPDATE*********

Was at the Butcher (V. Roche and Sons, Whitehouse Station, NJ) on Friday for pick-up.  After field dressing on the island, and skinning at Roche's, I had 229 pounds of Hog that needed processing, so best guess is these were 300 pound hogs, which makes perfect sense due to lateness of the season.  Approx. 75 pounds of smoked pork products (I get 1/2 of the chops smoked along with 1/2 the hams), so I had to use some of my 2nd freezer to squeeze-in all of the GOODNESS, lol!

Had some smoked pork chops last night on the grill.  Better tasting than Dietrich's Meats in Kutztown, and baby, THAT'S sayin' sumthin'!

So all you guys that wanted to go but were a little light on funds, put some loose change in the piggy jar and start savin'-up.  Next season starts around the middle of December, so tell the Boss a HUNT is whatcha want for Christmas!

Dave

(Ribs are tonight!)

sounds like a great time!! How much did the processing cost you?

I have a couple of nephews that have been bugging me to go hunting, this might be good for them

Processing is of course by the pound.  Mine weighed-in at 229 pounds after field dressing and skinning.  Total was $248, and that included 1/2 of the chops and 1/2 of the hams being smoked.  Smoking is about $1.00 per pound, skinning is $35, regular processing is .60 per pound.  Final price varies by weight and how much smoked product you want.

The ribs were FANTASTIC, juicy and tender!

Gonna make sausage on the grill this coming week.

BTW, a 14 yr old 1st time hunter in our Hunting Party used his Dad's AR to harvest a 300 pounder with us.  This hunt is GREAT for 1st timers and the Guides are very knowledgeable and safety minded!

Sounds like a good great time and definitely interested since I'll be a first timer. Any hunt with a sporterized mosin?

Not in our Hunting Party, but I've heard of it.  My 1st Hunt I was with a guy that used his 8mm Mauser to great effect.  I used my reproduction Colt Walker on that Hunt as well.

One of my co-workers has 200 acres of timberlands in Jasper, TX (about 2 hours from me). He's given me the go ahead to hunt deer & hogs on his property. Nice thing about it, TX considers wild hogs to be varmints and doesn't require a license and there is no "season"...shoot 'em if ya see 'em.

This signature is AWESOME!!!