Kaiser7

Trouble Disassembling a Remington 760 pump action rifle

So my friend's uncle had a Remington 760 that belonged to his great grandfather. The story, as I was told, was that the great grandfather died during deer season, and essentially the gun was "put away wet" as the uncle went through all the funeral arrangements and stuff, as well as dealing with stuff with the estate and all that.

Well the gun rusted a bit, and the slide and action bars need to be replaced (Seems the spot welds that hold the bars to the slide have broken). But overall the gun seems like it could easily be put back into working condition. My friend's uncle said he can have the gun if he can get it working again. 

Since my friend works on my car for me, I usually help them with their guns. Well, we wanted to take it apart to do a detailed clean, and get all the rust out. However, the tube on which the slide rests is literally stuck in there. You're supposed to be able to rotate it counter-clockwise to remove it, but this thing isn't budging. We've tried using some WD-40 to penetrate in, and maybe loosen up the threads if they're a little rusty, but to no avail. I've also tried putting a steel bar through the holes used to turn it, and tapping it with a hammer to see if that would loosen up, but that didn't work either.

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions on how to get this thing apart. The barrel cannot be removed until this slide-tube is removed, so we're pretty much unable to restore it until we get this thing apart.

Thanks for the help!

Hey Kaiser,

Use a bar in the two holes to get leverage and force it counter clockwise.  Don't be afraid to muscle it.  Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FF6bTcnIkU

Even the guy in the video has to apply substantial force to break it free.

Good luck!

~Scott

(edited to fix video link)

2nd for PB Blaster. That is a bugger to get off, but once done it's easy.

You'll be just as frustrated assembling it later trying to get that dust cover in place as you slide the bolt back in!!!

Thanks guys! He brought into work and managed to get it off. His family owns an autogarage in South Philly, so I think he was able to use a heavy steel punch there.

He actually bent one of my bronze gunsmithing punches trying to get the piece off :/

Anyway, he did that, and then stripped all of the old finish off with aircraft stripper that they had lying around the shop. Next week I'm going to do the metal prep for him, and help him blue it, since his whole family was impressed with my shotgun.

He really needs to learn the difference on working on guns and cars though. He doesn't realize guns require a little more finesse and stuff. He recently was going to use a brass wire-brush to clean his Mosin, and I had to explain why that was a bad idea. 

He recently was going to use a brass wire-brush to clean his Mosin, and I had to explain why that was a bad idea. 

You cannot kill Mosin with wire-brush Comrade. Mosin made of strong Soviet steel not weak capitalist pig steel.

post-4191-0-67222700-1428264706_thumb.gif