Sign in to follow this  
Jag07

Moving to... oh god I don't want to say it

I'm moving to NY for work, no choice. I started looking into license process and I will never complain about NJ. (but at least it isn't NYC, got a story from the more than lovely woman helping that is just sheer nightmarish)

Apparently it will cost, initially at least, over $95 and then whatever the heck their renewal process and costs are for the permit. They require 4! personal references that are legal residents of the county I will be living in, have known for at least 1 year (with further restrictions on relatives and your references relation to LEOs), and finally to make everything all better it could possibly take an entire year to get anything done. Even better, if I didn't have anyone to hold or keep the firearm I would have to "forfeit" to the police until I completed and was issued a pistol license. 

Aside from the taxes and the ridiculous gas prices these laws and restrictions were far worse than I thought. 

As condolences from you all I will accept suggestions of which .22lr rifle to purchase next and also suggestions for a scope ( want to target shoot 50y at first and 100y eventually)

Get a 10/22 and start building it out.

Bull barrel, VQ accessories, etc. Put a Bushnell Elite 10x (on sale at Midway for 199, free ship) on it and shoot away!

Have fun, as much as you can at least.

C

Do what you have to do. I admire you for that. I for one will and have not considered spending any time or funds in NY, but that's me.  To you I wish you all the best, and hope it is all you expect. Good Luck, be safe, enjoy, and I vote with Topher, Ruger 10/22 for the win.  Lots of options, almost as many as the AR platform.

What county are you moving too?

I am from upstate New York, and going through the process was painless when I had my NY permit. All depends on the county you live in and the county sheriff (and judge)

i hope the pay's worth it....'cause just knowing that shit would keep me from moving there.

Not for residency. My wife finished her four year residency for internal medicine and pediatrics last October. Her last year, her pay was $52K and she worked 70 hours a week on average, peaking at 85-90 hours (sometimes violating work hour rules) a week.

No kidding but I'm not really able to. I matched into a residency for internal medicine and you are obligated to accept and attend. (at least one year)

Alaska is always looking for anyone with any sort of medical background, check them out and they pretty much dont care what guns you own as long as you're safe with them. All you need to purchase one is a drivers license and money, none of the BS having references or employer info or fingerprinted or list tattoos or FID - ugh, my stomach hurts just listing all the BS needed prior to owning a gun in this damn state...

I'm moving to NY for work, no choice. I started looking into license process and I will never complain about NJ. (but at least it isn't NYC, got a story from the more than lovely woman helping that is just sheer nightmarish)

Apparently it will cost, initially at least, over $95 and then whatever the heck their renewal process and costs are for the permit. They require 4! personal references that are legal residents of the county I will be living in, have known for at least 1 year (with further restrictions on relatives and your references relation to LEOs), and finally to make everything all better it could possibly take an entire year to get anything done. Even better, if I didn't have anyone to hold or keep the firearm I would have to "forfeit" to the police until I completed and was issued a pistol license. 

Aside from the taxes and the ridiculous gas prices these laws and restrictions were far worse than I thought. 

As condolences from you all I will accept suggestions of which .22lr rifle to purchase next and also suggestions for a scope ( want to target shoot 50y at first and 100y eventually)

NY does have residency requirements unfortunately, and serious mag limits. And there are tremendous differences among the upstate counties. Some only issue restricted carry licenses. But unlike here they actually do issue a good number of unrestricted permits.

For 50 and 100 yards in .22 use iron sights. Just my opinion. You'll have more fun. Even I can shoot bulls at 50 yards with a scope.

Check this site out for lots of info: http://nyfirearms.com/forums/

I've read that Suffolk is one of the worst counties in the state.

I got mine in Fulton Co. in 60 days from start to finish.

Hmm...  My co-worker from NYC applied for their versions of FID and P2P this year, and got his handgun in about a month.  Two references, as far as I know, and both (including myself of course) live in NJ.  But references have to know your for at least four years.  And, he had to go to the police to register what he bought.

Looks like different laws in each county (?)

Get a carry permit when you get your pistol permit. Go the extra mile to get an unrestricted one.

If you get a restricted one, the restrictions (unlike NJ) have no force of law. They will just report it to the judge and he will revoke your pistol permit and you will have to get rid of your hand guns for a period of time. I would carry discretely under those circumstances, heck, I know people that have carried for years in NJ some time back that faced 5 to 10 years in jail.

I am not a lawyer, check with the guy above from NY and check the law and NY forums.

Also, confirm those 4 reference 1 year county resident requirements are real under law. We have a few Sheriffs in PA that require Commonwealth references but that is not the law and is easily surpassed with an appeal.

Get a carry permit when you get your pistol permit. Go the extra mile to get an unrestricted one.

If you get a restricted one, the restrictions (unlike NJ) have no force of law. They will just report it to the judge and he will revoke your pistol permit and you will have to get rid of your hand guns for a period of time. I would carry discretely under those circumstances, heck, I know people that have carried for years in NJ some time back that faced 5 to 10 years in jail.

I am not a lawyer, check with the guy above from NY and check the law and NY forums.

Also, confirm those 4 reference 1 year county resident requirements are real under law. We have a few Sheriffs in PA that require Commonwealth references but that is not the law and is easily surpassed with an appeal.

What I have read from the police department's site, the chances of a carry license is about as good as getting one back in NJ. Being that they use the "justifiable need" style of saying "No, go F yourself". They specifically say that you would need written death threats, legal documents showing multi threats to you or actual assaults and that "living in a bad neighborhood" doesn't count. I want to inquire about it more to see if I would be denied the pistol license if I apply for the unrestricted license at the same time. 

I'll see what info I can find out about the references in respect to the legal ramifications or if they are just the departments own little addition. 

Hmm...  My co-worker from NYC applied for their versions of FID and P2P this year, and got his handgun in about a month.  Two references, as far as I know, and both (including myself of course) live in NJ.  But references have to know your for at least four years.  And, he had to go to the police to register what he bought.

Yeah, apparently Suffolk wants 4 different, unrelated, non-LEO and non-LEO spouse references that have lived in Suffolk county itself and that have known you for at least a year. The thing that gets me about that is if I didn't have the option for a different arrangement I would have to forfeit my firearm to the police until I was approved for my license. Which, if you think about could be two years! I would be coming to a new area, not knowing anyone and without a license for NYS obviously. So, I would have to wait a year to get to know someone, then wait that year for the paperwork and approval. That is just insane to me. 

Alaska is always looking for anyone with any sort of medical background, check them out and they pretty much dont care what guns you own as long as you're safe with them. All you need to purchase one is a drivers license and money, none of the BS having references or employer info or fingerprinted or list tattoos or FID - ugh, my stomach hurts just listing all the BS needed prior to owning a gun in this damn state...

I wouldn't mind going to Alaska. There are a bunch of hoops to jump through if I were to move there during residency. I'd probably have to wait out the shit storm that is NY and NY firearm laws until I was able to get a job as an attending. 

I heard a horror story about NYC and firearms/carry license. Horror in the situation that prompted the person to get the license and horror in the restrictions they placed on it. 

Thanks everyone for the info (the websites are a good source) and condolences for being stuck in NY. 

Thanks for the rifle suggestions. I like to ask for different suggestions because for the last year I've been stuck on the CZ455. I still may get it but I don't want to ignore other options. 

I don't know, even Wikipedia says every pistol license in NY allows you to carry (outside of NYC) and the restrictions are administrative in nature and only result in loss of the pistol license.

If I lived in NY I'd keep my NY pistol collection small and I would carry discretely if not given an unrestricted permit. As long as i am not going to jail or losing my rights (or even getting fined at all for this situation) I'm carrying.

I don't know, even Wikipedia says every pistol license in NY allows you to carry (outside of NYC) and the restrictions are administrative in nature and only result in loss of the pistol license. If I lived in NY I'd keep my NY pistol collection small and I would carry discretely if not given an unrestricted permit. As long as i am not going to jail or losing my rights (or even getting fined at all for this situation) I'm carrying.

The problem is if your pistol license is revoked you no longer have the right to posses a pistol even in your home so you would have to hire a lawyer to keep them or sell them off or move them out of state.

The problem is if your pistol license is revoked you no longer have the right to posses a pistol even in your home so you would have to hire a lawyer to keep them or sell them off or move them out of state.

I'm OK with that. Like I said, I knew people that carried for years in NJ, and I said I would keep my NY pistol collection modest for that exact reason. I'd rather be able to defend my life than worry about what might happen to a few extra handguns. WTF is a handgun for if you don't carry it?

WTF is a handgun for if you don't carry it?

I wouldn't carry the competition guns, the collectibles, the family heirlooms, the hunting guns, the rimfires...to name a few.