Bubba-NJ

Rookie Ar-15 build project

I've been reading a ton here lately on the topic of ar's. Learned a bit about federal law at the last gun show at Oaks. Went in my local gun shop and they just happened to get a couple stripped lowers in that day, so I bought one. A Stag lower in 5.56 nato. I'm trying to get this done on the more affordable side of middle ground pricing. I just want a legal plinker that is fun to shoot. I have a PSA Lpk coming and a rifle length buffer assembly also from Stag. I like the Magpul MOE mag404 stock for my build. After all this I'm confused about the uppers. I don't see any complete uppers listed as "Jersey legal". Is there such a thing? Or do I buy what looks good to me and take it to my local shop to have the muzzle brake work done. I just haven't had time to go back to the shop where I bought my lower receiver to ask my questions. Should I not assemble my lower until after my barrel is pinned? Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

Complete uppers that are NJ legal are usually listed as "AWB complaint" (assault Weapons Ban).

It's really a matter of what your comfortable with. Having a non compliant upper delivered to your home while in possession of a complete lower. You could be charged with intent because you posess everything to build a non compliant rifle. If you want to feel safer, have the non compliant upper shipped to the FFL you're going to have performing the compliance work directly. Then you can take possession after its made jersey legal.

If you are looking to buy a complete upper, make sure it doesn't have a flash hider or a bayonet lug and you are NJ compliant.

Another option if you don't want to neuter a perfectly good complete upper is too simply build your own upper how ever you like. You get to build it how you see fit, barrel length, shroud/rails, brake.etc. More people build lowers then uppers, but it really isn't difficult at all just follow the build guide.

But if you want to keep it cheap I would order something like this grind off the lug and replace the A2 FH. That will be about as cheap as you can get.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-16-mid-length-cmv-cl-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

As far as building your lower before neutering your upper, it depends on how much of a nervous Nelly you are. As DeerSlayer pointed out, there is some dumb law about intent or something, but I've never heard of anyone being charged with it, nor have I heard reports of LE raiding someones workbench looking for flash hiders and bayo lugs. Also as DS said, if you are worried about being raided for having a lower and an assault bazooka upper, buy whatever upper you like and have it shipped to your gunsmith for compliance work.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually made it back to the shop where I bought my lower today. Rayco Armory in Merchantville. Asked about complete upper receiver assemblies and he showed me a Stag model 3H on the Stag website. Said it's ready to go for NJ as is with the compliance option clicked on. On the Stag site they give you the option to have any upper made NJ compliant so that is a plus. I haven't seen any other sites that offer that service. Are there any? I was looking at a Red X also but just saw a lot of suspect reviews on them so they're out for now. Help is always appreciated and Thanks for your patience as this is my first build and I'd like to keep it simple.

Rock River Arms offers an AWB compliant on their site, $595 seems a bit pricey to me but I haven't purchased anything AR related in awhile.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=267

Check out the different online gun shops and look for "AWB compliant uppers".

Not all manufacturers will do this.  However, if you find someone that will do the compliance work for you, or do some of it yourself, you can potentially get something better or tailored more to your liking.  

Some manufacturers make uppers that are ALMOST compliant... 

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=xstu5050mlsdc

The only issue with the spikes is the bayo lug - just cut that off with a Dremel..

Most of the companies that I've seen will pin and weld for you, but like mentioned above you can find someone local to you to do the work.

Rebelarms.com has some nice reasonably priced uppers for sale.

I ordered a complete upper from PSA(http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/20039/s/ptac-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-upper-without-handguards-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/category/4220/ ) last Friday and it came on Wednesday. Took it to the gunsmith today for the compliance work(muzzle brake) and a little extra. He's removing the front sight gas block and installing a gas block with a flip up sight on it. All I'll be missing is the furniture and and a rear sight that will most likely come from the next gun show at Oaks PA. I'll probably wait until after Thanksgiving to get an optic for it unless I run across a smoking deal somewhere sooner. I'm going to put my lower together this weekend hopefully. Thanks for all your help and I'll post some pics when it's done maybe next weekend.

So I put my lower reciever parts in today, twice! Thought I was all done and saw one last spring in the dish I had all the parts sitting in. I forgot to put the disconnecter spring in. Took it all apart and put the disconnecter spring in this time and put it all back together. I also managed to lose a bolt catch roll pin, little sucker went flying somewhere about twenty feet from me but luckily I had some extras. Not too dificult but it does take patience and a little know how. Thanks again for all the help here.

Here's my complete lower receiver with rifle length buffer tube. Lower is a Stag as is the buffer tube assembly. Lower parts kit is from PSA, the classic lower parts kit. Magazine is a P-mag 20rd blocked permanently to 15 rounds.VvcEJ60.jpg

Almost complete here, just missing the hand guard. Upper was purchased from PSA assembled with an A2 flash hider(has since been removed and discarded) and had the battle sight gas block on it. Battle sight was removed and a Yankee Hill flip up front sight gas block was installed by my gunsmith.1OpD1hk.jpg

All done here, even added a Bushnell TRS-32 red dot, got a great deal on it. Hand guard is a Magpul Moe mid-length. Love the feel of it. Rear sight is a Magpul M-bus flip up. Now I just need to find a range to shoot it at. Just under 36" in length. Need a good sling and carry bag for it also. Any recommendations? Some parts were ordered on-line, some came from Rayco and some came from the gun show at Oaks, PA.8lyo3aq.jpg

Looks good..as for slings watch BFG for sales..they make quality products and can catch them at excellent prices..carry bag watch slickguns or even here on the forum for the Blackhawk Sportster bag..

When they go on sale you can snag on for around $20-25..now go out and break that sucker in!

How you like that grip? You got magpul stock and guard might as well try and get a magpul hand grip. Try the MOE+ or the MOE. The MOE+ has a rubber feeling grip. the std MOE is just the grippy texture. PS congrats on your first build. You are alot braver than me. Never tried building upper from scratch or even messing with the gas block. 

https://www.magpul.com/products/grips

Thanks for all the compliments. As for the grip, I've got nothing to compare it to so it will stay for now but I have looked around a little. I was also thinking of adding the Magpul BAD lever but just haven't found a deal on one yet. 

When I did my first build I built the upper from scatch. You may want to rethink and go that route. It has a lot of advantages........ Make it compliant from the start, choose you barrel (length, chamber, twist, gas length), choose your BCG, ect. Best part of all, if you put it together piece by piece you'll know and understand how it works inside out. BTW everything you need to know can be found here or on youtube