ECsandstar

Home defense shotgun

Well guys, im jonesing to buy a home defense shotgun(not sure why, but i feel like i must buy one lol). Ive played with rem 870's and mossy 500's, to which i have likes and dislikes with both. I wont get into all the details about my likes and dislikes or nit-picking one over the because i over-analyze everything and im indecisive. So im looking to you folks for some help, likes, dislikes, pro's, cons, etc...on the models listed or any suggestions. This is going to be long-winded, so stick it out!

The only shotgun i havent had the opportunity or luxury of playing with is a benelli (nova or supernova). Which many have said to be a fantastically awesome weapon. The only problem i have with benelli's is the low-round count. Understandably, a mag tube extension can be put on for an extra $50-$80, but who wouldnt want to put that to a more exciting upgrade?

I've taken into account shorter pistol-grip shotguns (which i've never owned or regularly shot) like the cruiser models for mobility. Through general common sense and hours of reading, most people mention painfully felt recoil and lack of accuracy, but good agility or movement in CQ. I cant imagine recoil would be all that terrible, and its not like anyone would spend hours at a range blowing through hundreds of rounds of 12g 00 buck with a pistol-grip shotgun. This would be taken to the range of course, but primarily a HD weapon.

My next concern is weight and length. Im having a tough time making or justifying my decision between 5, 6, or 8+ rounds for HD. Many indicate that anything over 8 rounds is muzzle-heavy, has an awkward muzzle swing, and it just unnecessary. But when are MORE rounds a bad thing!? Length im not very concerned with, but of course no more than 20"

Last, OPTIONS..... I am interested in something that i may be able to throw a longer barrel on and possibly shoot clays with. This is not something totally necessary but would be a plus. Being the guy i am, i cant leave well enough alone. So UPGRADES are bound to happen(lights, side saddles, slings, etc...). So a shotgun like a remington or mossy would probably prevail as there are plenty of aftermarket items available.

Within what im looking for, and willing to spend i feel like my options are as follows;

Remington 870 Express
590 Special Purpose 9-Shot - 50645
500 Persuader, 8-Shot - 50577
500 Persuader, 6-Shot - 50411
500 Cruiser, 6-Shot - 54125
500 Cruiser, 8-Shot - 50580
Benelli Nova Tactical - 20050
Benelli SuperNova Tactical - 20145 / 20150 / 20155

I got one of these for HD. Really is no better choice for that application. KSG 12

98f5ad57ed67f9947de6862629a210b4.jpg

15 rounds, and not muzzle heavy at all fully loaded. Actually balanced perfectly since it's a bullpup design.

Tom at Oakridge Firearms has one for sale in stock.

I'd go with a Mossberg 500/590. I like the TR500, 599A1, or a Persuader. I like the location of the safety and probably best on a budget. An Ithaca 37 is a nice choice, too, and the ejection is on the bottom, nice for lefties. But that KSG looks awesome.

870/500 series Mossbergs = 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

Both have long service histories in LE & military.

I favor the Mossberg for two reasons:

·Location of safety

·Loading gate

Otherwise go with whichever you like best

OP - I read your post. I see your confusion. You seem all over the place.

Are you going to buy just one shotgun or will you be buying a second in the future?

Do you want strictly defense or dual purpose? (sounds like dual purpose to me)

If so just get a 500 with two barrels. As far as overall length? Learn to carry it at port arms and you'll clear any doorway with the short barrel.

As far as Mag capacity? It's all BS. As a defense gun you'll seldom need more than 5. The first shot most likely is the only one you'll need. Unless there are a swarm of zombies.

If you are looking for a Home defense shotgun - I have the Mossberg 500 Cruiser

which is Pistol Grip / 18.5" BBL / 6 shot (5+1) that is New in Box with a Lifetime Replacement Warranty

for $325.00

I have this gun listed above with an  ATI Top Folding Stock & Shell holder ($120.00 option) for $395.00

If you are looking more twords "Dual purpose - I can get the Mossberg 3-N-1 which has the

500 action, Pistol Grip, Full Stock, 18.5 " BBL & 28" vented rib BBL 

PM me if interested................

post-5124-0-21886400-1428492357_thumb.jpg

post-5124-0-22101500-1428492390_thumb.jpg

post-5124-0-30392900-1428492400_thumb.jpg

I have a 1982 Remington Wingmaster that only takes 2 3/4" shells. It has a  solid Remington synthetic butt stock, a Hogue rubber forearm grip (got the matching pistol grip which looks cool but isn't practical), a Remington 18" barrel  with a mag extender, and a Side Saddle 6 round shell holder mounted to the receiver. Its simple but it works for me.

e7ee0c42.jpg

Dog likes shotgun...

5f1ebda0.jpg

If you are looking for a Home defense shotgun - I have the Mossberg 500 Cruiser

which is Pistol Grip / 18.5" BBL / 6 shot (5+1) that is New in Box with a Lifetime Replacement Warranty

for $325.00

I have this gun listed above with an  ATI Top Folding Stock & Shell holder ($120.00 option) for $395.00

If you are looking more twords "Dual purpose - I can get the Mossberg 3-N-1 which has the

500 action, Pistol Grip, Full Stock, 18.5 " BBL & 28" vented rib BBL 

PM me if interested................

OP - See Jack's taking care of you.

Go for it! Reasonable and diverse.

500/590 for the position of the safety. Just easier to get to and check, esp in an HD scenario.

If dual purpose - 500 combo like the one JT offered.

If solely HD and some 12ga. fun - 500 or 590, equally dependable

I've had a 2 500s and a 590a1 and I like my a1 the best.

You will like an 870 and like a 500 the same, a 590 or 590A1 you might like a little extra for the added toughness of being the whole MilSpec test approved etc.

You will absolutely love a Nova/SuperNova - I have 4 premium combat shotguns, and the Benelli is far and away the silky, sexy, super smoothest.  Just so amazing.

I have detailed the comparisons at length on this forum many times and it brings out a lot of hate and vitriol and people get upset, and I am not going to argue nor detail my case again- I will just say, that Benelli produces an amazingly nice firearm- just another class versus 870/500s.

I'd go with a Mossberg 500/590. I like the TR500, 599A1, or a Persuader. I like the location of the safety and probably best on a budget. An Ithaca 37 is a nice choice, too, and the ejection is on the bottom, nice for lefties. But that KSG looks awesome.

I too like the position of the safety on mossbergs, it seems more natural.

870/500 series Mossbergs = 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

Both have long service histories in LE & military.

I favor the Mossberg for two reasons:

·Location of safety

·Loading gate

Otherwise go with whichever you like best

Agreed. The safety, action release and loading gate are what push me towards Mossberg.

OP - I read your post. I see your confusion. You seem all over the place.

Are you going to buy just one shotgun or will you be buying a second in the future?

Do you want strictly defense or dual purpose? (sounds like dual purpose to me)

If so just get a 500 with two barrels. As far as overall length? Learn to carry it at port arms and you'll clear any doorway with the short barrel.

As far as Mag capacity? It's all BS. As a defense gun you'll seldom need more than 5. The first shot most likely is the only one you'll need. Unless there are a swarm of zombies.

Honestly, i dont see myself doing much, if any clay shooting. It would be nice to possibly down the road have the option to change out an 18 or 20" barrel for something longer, but its not necesary as i would eventually like to get a coach gun and also an over-under. This would primarily be a HD gun and range toy.

I went with a double barrel coach gun.

IMG_20150314_082529329.jpg

That is beautiful

Thanks to all who have responded so far!

Does anyone have any input on weight differences between 6 or 8 rounds in the tube? It would be incredibly nice to be able to walk into a place and have every model on the wall, be able to load then all to the max, and actually get a feel for the item before a purchase. However, i highly doubt ill be able to find a LGS or FFL that happens to have both multiple mossberg models AND benelli models in stock.

Does anyone have any input on weight differences between 6 or 8 rounds in the tube? It would be incredibly nice to be able to walk into a place and have every model on the wall, be able to load then all to the max, and actually get a feel for the item before a purchase. However, i highly doubt ill be able to find a LGS or FFL that happens to have both multiple mossberg models AND benelli models in stock.

Come to a shotgun shootout one weekend. Most of the guns your interested in are there, and someone will let you shoot it for sure. I have a 500 and KSG along with a slew of other shotguns I can bring. Usually at least 5 or 6 different HD style shotguns there as well. Plus you get to have a fun day breaking clays, and putting names to faces.

Come to a shotgun shootout one weekend. Most of the guns your interested in are there, and someone will let you shoot it for sure. I have a 500 and KSG along with a slew of other shotguns I can bring. Usually at least 5 or 6 different HD style shotguns there as well. Plus you get to have a fun day breaking clays, and putting names to faces.

The only problem being my work schedule is dog shit. When is the next one?

So, i had a chance to handle a Benelli Nova the other day and compared to a 590A1 (which im not really looking for) it was loads lighter and the stock was much more comfortable and ergonomic than the synthetic mossberg stock which is just regular old hard plastic. The action was super slick and smooth, and the ergonomic fore end felt great. I really havent considered Benelli much because they typically have a nice tag to them, but man it was smooth. There are pro's and con's to every make and model, but i may wind up siding with a Benelli. It was just so nice.