ECsandstar

Home defense shotgun

I'm gonna agree with DeerSlayer and suggest the KSG.  I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, and love it.  The short length, plus the capacity make it pretty hard to beat for home defense.  The only downside is the price.

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for it?

How does it cycle? The promo video I saw a while back had a LEO firing it, and it seemed as if it wasn't a very smooth action.

Once they break in their fine. I've seen a few videos where guys are having problems with cheap low brass birdshot, in brand new guns. A lot of the problems I see come from short stroking the forearm.

Once they break in their fine. I've seen a few videos where guys are having problems with cheap low brass birdshot, in brand new guns. A lot of the problems I see come from short stroking the forearm.

Do you have a vertical foregrip on it?

No problems with pain when using that angled foregrip?  I put a AFG on my 870 Tac w/ Magpul furniture etc. ... someone on this very forum said they tried and hated it, very painful when shooting... I thought, yeah right, that's not going to be a problem...

....sure as sugar by the end of the first mag-full of shells, I hated it .  Really uncomfortable upon firing and not a big benefit for pumping, and the more i shot the more it got worse to become particularly painful on the hand.  After 25 or so rounds, I literally went to the desk and borrowed a screwdriver to remove the damned thing.

Just wondering if it's not a problem on the KSG or you just don't mind it etc?

No problems with pain when using that angled foregrip? I put a AFG on my 870 Tac w/ Magpul furniture etc. ... someone on this very forum said they tried and hated it, very painful when shooting... I thought, yeah right, that's not going to be a problem...

....sure as sugar by the end of the first mag-full of shells, I hated it . Really uncomfortable upon firing and not a big benefit for pumping, and the more i shot the more it got worse to become particularly painful on the hand. After 25 or so rounds, I literally went to the desk and borrowed a screwdriver to remove the damned thing.

Just wondering if it's not a problem on the KSG or you just don't mind it etc?

I haven't shot it yet since I installed it. I may hate it too. I have a vertical in my tote full of AR/AK spare parts. Maybe I'll bring that and a screwdriver with me next time I go shoot it, now that you mentioned it sucks on the hand. Thanks for the imput. Definitely a recoil difference from a 5.56 cartridge to a 12g shell. I can totally see that thing smacking the side of my hand, and being painful on the KSG.

There are real downsides to the KSG, specially when you start adding grips to it. 

Like this down side: http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/

That's like the third accident I've read about. 

I'm not saying the gun itself is unsafe, I'm saying please be carefully how you kit it out and how you use it. 

That is a real concern with any SBS. We have 14" Remington 870s at work. I have to stay right on top of some of my folks during qualifications and training. Especially with people new to our agency that are used to standard length shotguns.

I can't imagine with these bullpup shotguns, they seem to be even more compact, putting the muzzle well within the reach of your extended arm.

There are real downsides to the KSG, specially when you start adding grips to it.

Like this down side: http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/

That's like the third accident I've read about.

I'm not saying the gun itself is unsafe, I'm saying please be carefully how you kit it out and how you use it.

Ok so now I'm afraid to shoot it! No way I'm going through the rest of my life with the knick name "Tripod" because my left hand only has 3 fingers on it. I just ordered a hand stop. Think I'm going to stipple the forearm as well.

Thanks, I never really thought about this possibility before. Good to know it can happen if compliancy sets in.

I never really thought about that at first either, once it was brought up...well now we know. Good tip and great advice!

There is something i've been struggling with when it comes to HD shotguns. I'm sure that most of you have kids. How do you safely store a shotgun at the same time have easy access? It's not as simple as a night stand safe.

Hand gun in safe under bed. Shot gun in big safe.

Hand gun is what you use to get to big gun.

Or you could trigger lock the long gun ....

I went with a double barrel coach gun.

IMG_20150314_082529329.jpg

There's a lot to recommend this approach. My HD SG is an O/U. If you have to deal with an intruder, IMO it's unlikely that more than 2 rounds will be required before one of you is dead. If a prosecutor thinks he can make some political points by keel hauling you, he'll show the gun to the grand jury. I saw this when I had grand jury. The scarier looking the gun is to Jersey twits the more likely you are to be indicted.

IMG_20150314_082529329.jpg

What a beauty!

Thanks! I actually bought it as a project a little while back. It was pretty neglected by the previous owner. I refinished the wood, touched up the barrels, and made a few necessary repairs. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

There is something i've been struggling with when it comes to HD shotguns. I'm sure that most of you have kids. How do you safely store a shotgun at the same time have easy access? It's not as simple as a night stand safe.

Something like this would be pretty cool.

Posted Image

Tactical Walls (http://tacticalwalls.com) are awesome. I just wish they weren't so expensive....

Shotlock (http://www.shotlock.com/ShotLock_Shotgun.php) makes a neat setup for a shotgun.

Got the shot lock for the ar. It fits my needs very well. Good product.

IMG_20150118_203625626_zpsy9e4gtgk.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk