Sign in to follow this  
1LtCAP

star 82

i've been meaning to put this in here for a bit.

was talking to a customer about those robo-calls awhile ago. the same subject i'd done a thread about in here. i'd mentioned to him that i was gonna buy a call blocker, so i could stop having to answer them. he told me about this. answer the call, then hit the star key, then 82....  *82. what it does, is permenantly block that number from ever calling you again, plus tells that computer system to take you off the list.

i've been doing this for about 1.5 months now, and it seems to be working. the catch 22 is that you have to answer them. it seems that i've been getting a few new numbers calling.....but not nearly as bad as before.

the only thing i need to be careful about, is that i was gonna put the tones from that combination on my answering machine.....but that'd have ended up blocking customers, so it must be done manually.

just thought i'd pass this on.

What provider do you have. That might make a difference.

Is this on a land line or a cell phone?

land line. through crapcast. i don't generally get those kinds of calls on my cell, which is through tmobile....although there's been one hitting me something like 20 times in 2 days.........i blacklisted it, but i still see the logs.

Can you answer the call to see who it is and then hit *82?

i have caller id. i just did one. it's almost always an out of the area area code. usually kalifornia, oregon, or arizona. sometimes texas. it'll simply say the city and state. sometimes it says the business, such as this last one....expand pay taxe......i pikcup, and listen for a second, to be sure that it's not a possible customer, since i get some military customers. once i hear the robot start, i hit *82, then hang up. sometimes it's a live person. it seems to work on those too. kinda funny, i had one yesterday that asked for the guy that used to own the place. he's been out since 2008.

Normally *82 is used prior to the call with most service providers as a  “one-time unblock” of your line that is configured to always block your CID info from being displayed at the locations you are calling. Here’s a couple of other options for you and the other members. I’ve heard good things about Nomorobo but never used it myself. Another one is PhoneTray but the only downside is you need a dedicated computer and you pay a nominal fee for the software and yearly renewal.