Sign in to follow this  
Rav3n

"Cheap" ACOG?

So, after work I decided to stop by the PX on Dix to see what they have as last time I was in a PX was in the early 90's down at Andrews AFB.

Browsing the sporting goods I notice they carry rifle scopes. Once catches my eye. Looks like an ACOG. 

A Bushnell 1x MP, looks similar to an ACOG but priced just above $200. 

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1x-mp

Anyone else seen this other places or tried it? 

I tried it again tonight. I receive the following:

Dear Valued Customer,

Trijicon introduced the Veterans Blue Star Promotion to thank those veterans we met at various events around the country.  We passed a few discount cards out at a couple of shows over the past few months.  The program has made its way into social media and we have been inundated with requests to extend the program to veterans at large.  We are not prepared to use this program on that scale.  So, we will honor the discounts as promised to those people that possess a numbered card presented at an event.  We will not extend this program beyond those card holders.  However, the overwhelming response has demonstrated the need for a structured promotion for veterans.  We will get to work on a program that offers attractive rebates on products purchased through our distribution partners.  We appreciate your service and we want to offer a program that honors that service.  Please stay tuned to Trijicon.com and check with your local retailing dealers for further details in the months to come.

Trijicon does offer a substantial discount to US military personnel on active duty, members of the reserve components and National Guard, retired military and federal employees.  Your cost is the same as what the federal government pays, which is about 18-25% off the retail price.  For more information please contact us at [email protected].

Thanks,

Trijicon, Inc.

Basically a long no-go.

I've bought a couple of brand new ACOGS on Gunbroker for excellent prices.

A brand new TA01NSN for $800, and s brand new TA31F for $875. Both were brand new in box with warranty cards, and came directly from distributors.

Shop around, there are deals out there.

The thing about knockoff ACOGs is that it doesn't have any and I mean ANY of the actual features that make an ACOG an ACOG.

Trijicon ACOG optics made their bones on the fact that they have incredible toughness, excellent glass, radioactive-decay tritium nighttime illumination and in many models fiber-optic light pipe day-time illumination.

Knockoffs have *nothing* In remote resemblance to those.  Newer models from China have a "fiber optic tube" on them now claiming to be fully functional but you have to take that with a proverbial grain of salt.  Now as for the Bushnell model you mention, it's actually a red-dot sight (nonmagnified reflex-style) in an ACOG-style housing.

I always loved them but they're just too expensive for me and my casual use.  Whereas, $400 Aimpoints (non-magnified optics but still very tough and incredible battery life) feel like you've got your monies worth... $1-2000 is just over my personal level of comfort for a carbine optic.  YMMV totally , of course, as could your intended use or personal / professional needs, in which case an ACOG might be perfect for you.