david8613

shot gun home defense ammo what is recommended?

19 minutes ago, 10X said:

I'll start with the usual caveat about always doing reliability testing with any ammo you plan to use for defensive purposes...

But a Mossberg 500/590?   Like any pump shotgun, it should be completely reliable when fed anything remotely resembling the size and shape of a shotgun shell of appropriate gauge.   I'm betting it will work just fine.

I'll agree. It's semi autos that are finicky.

1 hour ago, peacewalker said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried shooting this yet and a stretch here on thoughts of its reliability in Mossberg 500/590?

It works fine in all modern guns. If your having feeding issues blame the gun not the ammo. If a pump or semi auto can't feed/eject a 2 3/4" shell don't depend on it for self defense. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vlad G said:

Sorry that is wrong. 

Modern semi-autos work better then pumps. I have empirical evidence. People short stroke pumps all the time, struggle with all sorts of issues. 

Is short stoking ammo related? No. 

If you want to argue to just argue, text yourself 

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Is short stoking ammo related? No. 

If you want to argue to just argue, text yourself 

WTF does that have to do with price of tea in China? In practical use people mess up pumps a lot more often then semi-auto's fail. Ammo is irrelevant, to say nothing that most semiauto "failures" from ammo is from people shooting ultra light loads unlike anything used for self defense or hunting. 

This notion that semi-auto shotguns are unreliable is bunk. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vlad G said:

WTF does that have to do with price of tea in China? In practical use people mess up pumps a lot more often then semi-auto's fail. Ammo is irrelevant, to say nothing that most semiauto "failures" from ammo is from people shooting ultra light loads unlike anything used for self defense or hunting. 

Meatwad. What was the question? Ammo  in 590 / 500. 

No one asked if semiautos are better or worse then pumps for home defense. 

19 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Meatwad. What was the question? Ammo  in 590 / 500. 

No one asked if semiautos are better or worse then pumps for home defense. 

Kind Sir, I thank you for your thoughtful and polite response. Specially seeing how it was yourself who brought up the topic of semi auto guns ... 

12 hours ago, Vlad G said:

Here is the issue with using semi auto shotguns for home defense.  If, IF, and that is a big IF, the gun has a malfunction it would take too long to clear it.  Sometimes you need a tool, sometimes you need a third hand and sometimes you need to put it down.  Not good for a home defense gun.   Pump wins

Thanks for helping @Zeke

For my setup im keeping hevi-duty close combat shells, which are frangible #4 buckshot, along with some herters home defense ball and buck rounds. Haven't patterned them yet at the range but in theory should provide some versatility should you have to use multiple rounds against home invaders. I don't know that anyone is going to stick around once you start blowing holes in shit though, so your first one or two shots should be something that you don't have to worry about taking out your neighbors with too, in my opinion. lol

I have bird shot in mine. (I also have my 9mm by the bed) God forbid I ever have to use it. I'm well aware of I do shoot someone in my home who's trying to harm me I'm still most likely going to prison. New Jersey is just not very nice  to the law abiding gun owners. My plan of action isn't a popular one but if I have to shoot someone I'm gonna hope they A stop and go down and B I'll pray they live so the liberal courts will have some mercy on me. However I'm prepared for whatever the outcome is. I'm not going to lay down and be a victim. 

16 hours ago, Owen54 said:

I have bird shot in mine. (I also have my 9mm by the bed) God forbid I ever have to use it. I'm well aware of I do shoot someone in my home who's trying to harm me I'm still most likely going to prison. New Jersey is just not very nice  to the law abiding gun owners. My plan of action isn't a popular one but if I have to shoot someone I'm gonna hope they A stop and go down and B I'll pray they live so the liberal courts will have some mercy on me. However I'm prepared for whatever the outcome is. I'm not going to lay down and be a victim. 

You’re thinking is flawed 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

You’re thinking is flaweddi

Your* I'm guessing is the word you wanted. Urban dictionary didn't show flaweddi though 

However I said my thinking isn't the most popular and neither is knowing the laws for most people. I'm friends with cops, I'm very familiar with NJ laws and my plan is to "hopefully" not kill someone if I can just hurt them bad instead. But they are guns the reality is people die. Remember in NJ you don't have right to defend yourself legally. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Owen54 said:

Your* I'm guessing is the word you wanted. Urban dictionary didn't show flaweddi though 

However I said my thinking isn't the most popular and neither is knowing the laws for most people. I'm friends with cops, I'm very familiar with NJ laws and my plan is to "hopefully" not kill someone if I can just hurt them bad instead. But they are guns the reality is people die. Remember in NJ you don't have right to defend yourself legally. 

Dead men tell no lies 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, Owen54 said:

I don’t think you are as familiar with the laws in N.J. as you think you are.

Also - Internet secret: When you correct spelling and grammar during an internet discussion, you’ve lost most of your credibility. Because, see we all make mistakes and you end up with egg on your face. 

For example:

• You should not start sentences with prepositions

• You have a run on sentence. It should either be rewritten or you could use a semi-colon to fix it.

• It should be badly, not bad

• I think you meant you “don’t have THE right”

• You missed a bunch of commas

Just sayin’ ;)

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I don’t think you are familiar with the laws in N.J. as you think you are.

You 100% have the legal right to defend yourself in your home or anywhere else you may not have a safe avenue of retreat. 

In fact, your pre-planned use of ammunition that you feel is not as deadly can actually work against you if you ever need to use it. 

Playing devil’s advocate - If you only need to hurt, not kill, an attacker to protect yourselves and those you love, why are you using deadly force at all? 

You see, deadly force is either authorized or it isn’t. Ergo, if you feel deadly force is not applicable, then you can’t fire a firearm at someone. 

There is no law that says you are allowed to just hurt someone badly instead of killing them. There is law that says you can use deadly force if you are in fear of death or serious permanent bodily injury or if you are protecting another who is in danger of being killed or seriously injured by an attacker. 

If you feel you can use what you consider ammo that is less likely to kill an attacker and still remain safe from said attacker than you are not legally authorized to use deadly force. 

Ultimately, any force you use has to be reasonable to accomplish your goal. Firing a shotgun at someone when you didn’t think deadly force was applicable is not reasonable.

From a practical standpoint, if you have the legal, moral, and ethical right to use deadly force to pretect you and yours, why use half measures that you can’t rely on 100%? If you are at the point where you are pointing a shotgun (or any gun) at someone - you are playing for keeps. There are no half measures. It’s either you or it’s them.

Engaging a threat and successfully stopping them without killing them is anyways a plus - but you can’t rely on that when you are in a position where deadly force is authorized. The bad guy gets the final vote when the fight is over. You need to use the tools/weapons/ammo best suited for the job at hand. Hope is not a tactic.

Now, will being shot with birdshot make the bad guy feel any better? No, of course not. If you have a legit bad guy in your home, someone with evil in their heart and the will to see things through, birdshot may not stop them either.

Also - Internet secret: When you correct spelling and grammar during an internet discussion, you’ve lost most of your credibility. Because, see we all make mistakes and you end up with egg on your face. 

For example:

• You should not start sentences with prepositions

• You have a run on sentence. It should either be rewritten or you could use a semi-colon to fix it.

• It should be badly, not bad

• I think you meant you “don’t have THE right”

• You missed a bunch of commas

Just sayin’ ;)

What he said. 

• Like 4

Deadly force, also known as lethal force, is force that a person uses, that he/she knows, presents the risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to another person. It’s use is only justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort, when all lesser means have failed or cannot reasonably be employed.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Owen54 said:

Urban Dictionary won't help you.  You need the Zeke to English dictionary.

I have Federal 00 buck Flight Control in my HD SG, but I've heard that #1 or #4 buckshot are also good. 

And as usual, good advice from HE.  

• Like 4

On 1/4/2018 at 7:05 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Deadly force, also known as lethal force, is force that a person uses, that he/she knows, presents the risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to another person. It’s use is only justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort, when all lesser means have failed or cannot reasonably be employed.

When a police officer (close friend) and my lawyer both tell me (last month we talked) if I shoot a man for any reason at all even if he has a gun in my home I'm going to see prison I listen. I'll listen to them before someone on the internet.

Dude I'm a chemical worker not an English major so yea you got me. 

On 1/7/2018 at 2:49 PM, Owen54 said:

When a police officer (close friend) and my lawyer both tell me (last month we talked) if I shoot a man for any reason at all even if he has a gun in my home I'm going to see prison I listen. I'll listen to them before someone on the internet.

Dude I'm a chemical worker not an English major so yea you got me. 

You need a new lawyer and your cop friend needs to go back to the police academy.

FWIW- a cop friend and shooting buddy of mine once told me that he was allowed to own non nj compliant guns. Specifically an AR with non pinned stock, a2 flash hider, bayo lug and multipl 30 round mags. This was a personal him that he built, not issued to him. 

• Like 3

On 1/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, Owen54 said:

...my plan is to "hopefully" not kill someone if I can just hurt them bad instead. 

Dude, then they can testify against you. You shoot until the threat is neutralized. Thinking like yours will get you killed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 4