david8613

shot gun home defense ammo what is recommended?

I was looking into getting some aguila mini shells for my ksg thinking they would be lower power and safer for home defense but after seeing this vid I'm beginning to think no way still too powerful. So my question Is this what ammo do you use in your home defense shotgun?

Mini 12 Gauge VS Ballistics Gel - EXOTIC SHOTGUN AMMO:

So my question Is this what ammo do you use in your home defense shotgun?

Full power #1 buck. 16 .30 cal pellets with sufficient cross sectional density to go deep. At max HD distances in my home, I estimate a 10" diameter pattern. Adios heart and lungs.

If you've got no nearby neighbors, or family members in adjacent rooms, probably can't go wrong with 00 buck.    Just make sure that whatever is behind the next 3 or 4 walls isn't something that you don't want to hit.

I've got #1 buck loaded in mine, which hopefully wouldn't go through an exterior wall, a stockade fence, and another exterior wall into my neighbor's house with the same energy of a larger pellet.

IMO

Low recoil 00 Buck.

That being said, I'm subscribed to using a HG with self defense rounds for the go-to HD gun. If a long gun is needed, I'd go for the AR with 55grain varmint rounds like VMAX. Provides the needed penetration and expansion whilst more apt to break up in barriers more so then buck or slugs out of a shotgun. Shotgun penetration in building materials is surprising, check out the box-o-truth website.

Speaking of Box O'Truth:  http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

Here's the summary:

Lessons learned:
  1. Contrary to what we have been told, XM-193 does not seem to “fragment” when shot into drywall walls. After we were through for the day, we even shot several more rounds of XM-193 into the walls to see if we could get one to fragment. They did not. It is clear that they were tumbling and deviating from the flight path, but they were still penetrating the walls. Now, before anyone says it, No, I do not know how much damage they would do to someone after the 4th wall. But they would do some damage as they were still penetrating.
  2. Remington 55 grain JSP and Frangible 5.56 also penetrated all 4 walls. So did the .30 Carbine. When shooting rifles, walls are concealment, not cover.
  3. 00 Buck penetrates 4 walls with ease. It is a great “Stopping” round, but there is a price to pay. Until someone invents a “Phaser” like on Star Trek, anything that will stop a bad guy, will also penetrate several walls.
  4. Birdshot does not excessively penetrate drywall walls. But it does not penetrate deeply enough to reach a bad guy’s vital organs. Birdshot makes a nasty but shallow wound. It is not a good Stopper. Use Birdshot for little birds. Use 00 Buckshot for bad guys.
  5. The sun was shining, it was a lovely day, and it was fun shooting stuff.
  • Like 1

Speaking of Box O'Truth:  http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

Here's the summary:

Lessons learned:
  1. Contrary to what we have been told, XM-193 does not seem to “fragment” when shot into drywall walls. After we were through for the day, we even shot several more rounds of XM-193 into the walls to see if we could get one to fragment. They did not. It is clear that they were tumbling and deviating from the flight path, but they were still penetrating the walls. Now, before anyone says it, No, I do not know how much damage they would do to someone after the 4th wall. But they would do some damage as they were still penetrating.
  2. Remington 55 grain JSP and Frangible 5.56 also penetrated all 4 walls. So did the .30 Carbine. When shooting rifles, walls are concealment, not cover.
  3. 00 Buck penetrates 4 walls with ease. It is a great “Stopping” round, but there is a price to pay. Until someone invents a “Phaser” like on Star Trek, anything that will stop a bad guy, will also penetrate several walls.
  4. Birdshot does not excessively penetrate drywall walls. But it does not penetrate deeply enough to reach a bad guy’s vital organs. Birdshot makes a nasty but shallow wound. It is not a good Stopper. Use Birdshot for little birds. Use 00 Buckshot for bad guys.
  5. The sun was shining, it was a lovely day, and it was fun shooting stuff.

Wish we had a LIKE POST button.

Just as others have said, anything that is capable of incapacitating a fully-grown man will penetrate drywall. Low-recoil or full-powered buckshot (00, 0, #1, etc.) will get the job done apparently. I think the bigger issue is finding a brand of ammunition that patterns well in your shotgun, so that God-forbid you ever need to defend your life in your own home, you aren't throwing pellets every which way.

the penetration of drywall is only part of the story.. the penetration of soft targets post interior wall is what is important.. 

with most handgun ammo.. and shotgun ammo.. you still have fairly deep levels of penetration post interior wall.. with 556 the penetration after striking an interior wall is relatively shallow.. the mindset being YES you may still hit and hurt someone on the other side.. but it is less likely to reach the maximum depth needed to kill..  the round has such low mass that when it strikes something on the way it steals a lot of the energy needed to cause a fatal strike.. 

obviously if your face is against the wall and a 556 round comes through. it might kill you.. but if you are several feet off it is far less likely to do so.. 

I think people are confusing the issue.. it is NOT that the wall will stop the round.. no one ever claimed that.. it is the depth of penetration that is relevant.. and what makes 556 a relatively safe interior/urban round..

I always get a kick out of this nonsense. It's like you guys think you are going to fire one shot and not miss.

If you are going to fire a low capacity firearm you should be more concerned with the certainty of performance on the target than what it might do if it passes through. Or, if your target does not cooperate, and you miss.

There is no safe firearm or ammo. There are ineffective firearms and ammo. Figure out before hand what shots you are and are not willing to take around your house in an emergency situation. And the consequences of deciding not to take those shots under an emergency situation. And the consequences of the shots not achieving the goal.

I really want a home defense light saber!

You'll chop your arm off, kid!

ALL rounds go THROUGH the wall.. the point of interest is the depth of penetration after that...

wound-patterns-after-defeating-a-wall.jp

Just got me some 5.56 77gr OTM MK262 - that's going to be my defense load as well...