david8613

shot gun home defense ammo what is recommended?

69 gr OTM. While I do love my shotgun. In my house I'd rather be able to pick my shots vs blasting at them. In my shed in the yard, bear country I keep a 20 gauge with slugs handy.

It's called "birdshot" for a reason.

On another note: http://ogdaa.blogspot.com/2013/03/12-gauge-birdshot-damage.html

I do not think the birdshot is what did the damage..... I would tend to think, at the range the Negligent Discharge happened, it was the muzzle blast that did that......  I doubt Birdshot could do anything close to that kind of damage at even at 10ft range......

Just my opinion..... based on no real facts..... 

I do not think the birdshot is what did the damage..... I would tend to think, at the range the Negligent Discharge happened, it was the muzzle blast that did that...... I doubt Birdshot could do anything close to that kind of damage at even at 10ft range......

Just my opinion..... based on no real facts.....

Agreed. Birdshot leaves a nasty but shallow would at close distance. It is not designed to stop a human and lacks sufficient penetration to reach anything vital when fired from more than a couple feet away.

Look at the X-Ray - all the pellets appear to be near the surface of the skin.

Older thread but I keep # 1 buckshot in mine.

Federal is making #1 shot with their Flight Control wad. Keeps a tighter pattern further than a standard wad. It's hard to find, but it's the Cats Pajamas:

https://www.gtdist.com/brands/federal-cartridge/federal-12ga-5-bx-tac-1-buck-15-plts-2-3-4.html

Currently in stock!

• Like 1

I use Nobel. Holds a nice pattern even at 25 feet.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/10rds-12-gauge-nobelsport-le-2-34-multidefense-buckshot-ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be different, I use PDX1 slug/buckshot.

Less spread to worry about, but if the slug is slightly off, pellets will likely connect. Don't have any family or neighbor concerns in the directions I'd be shooting. For shooting through walls, I rather be alive to get it fixed.

I'll be different, I use PDX1 slug/buckshot.

Less spread to worry about, but if the slug is slightly off, pellets will likely connect. Don't have any family or neighbor concerns in the directions I'd be shooting. For shooting through walls, I rather be alive to get it fixed.

If I ever decide to go with buckshot, I'll look into them. My previous load was Hornady TAP.

I've been happy with the results of PDX1. I shoot the rounds out of my shotgun yearly, and have had similar results for the couple years/production batches I've ran. It would have to be something big to make me change those out... being I like them so much.

shot gun home defense ammo what is recommended?

I've pondered this question for many years and have come to this conclusion;

Anything that strikes a home invader/burg that originated from the business end of a shotgun, within the confines of a home, is very likely going to mark the conclusion that incident.

Target round, birdshot, buckshot by any number is deadly force and can legally only be used to counter deadly force.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are exceptions to every theory and even empirical evidence about why one load is better than the other -- but I still stand by my statement. 

It doesn't really matter what's in the shotgun because whatever it is, the probability that it's going to serve your purpose, is very, very high.

:good:

Basically emulating the "Buck and Ball" load from the Civil War, Cabela's has Multidefense Shotshells — What they call "The ultimate knockdown power with a 0.65" round lead ball, backed by six No. 1 buckshot pellets"

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/herter-s-reg-defense-shotshells/1555113.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshotgun-ammunition%2Fherters%2F_%2FN-1100191%2B1000003627%2FNe-1000003627%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104567580%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

Haven't fired any. but I am curious how they perform.  Currently on sale; $5.99 for a box of ten.

Didn't you see the size of the main ball? It's as big as a slug with shot behind it. It's not just buckshot.

Sorry, just noticed this...

My post was considering 45Doll's link. Sorry that I misread.

Yea, I see the size of that large ball. Sorry, but PDX1 is what I'm continuing to use. I rather the slug compared to the ball. With the results I have received with PDX1, I have no interest in another "buck and ball" load.

"O", "OO", or "OOO"  anything like that from a 18 1/2 to 20 inch barrel is end of story.

And that is your intention "to stop the threat" ,not to kill, not to maim, not to dis-arm.

But to end the threat, no matter what.

And dont believe what you see in the movies, a deer can take a load of OO and still be on the run.

On 11/24/2015 at 11:49 PM, High Exposure said:

Federal is making #1 shot with their Flight Control wad. Keeps a tighter pattern further than a standard wad. It's hard to find, but it's the Cats Pajamas:

https://www.gtdist.com/brands/federal-cartridge/federal-12ga-5-bx-tac-1-buck-15-plts-2-3-4.html

Currently in stock!

Just wondering if anyone has tried shooting this yet and a stretch here on thoughts of its reliability in Mossberg 500/590?

53 minutes ago, peacewalker said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried shooting this yet and a stretch here on thoughts of its reliability in Mossberg 500/590?

I'll start with the usual caveat about always doing reliability testing with any ammo you plan to use for defensive purposes...

But a Mossberg 500/590?   Like any pump shotgun, it should be completely reliable when fed anything remotely resembling the size and shape of a shotgun shell of appropriate gauge.   I'm betting it will work just fine.

• Like 2