medved11

15/30 AK Magazines

I'm new to the AK platform and I'm looking to increase my supply of magazines and I've got a few questions

1. Given NJ's magazine capacity laws what type of mags do most of you guys go with? 10 rounders or 30 rounders that are blocked for 15 rounds?

2. For 30 rounders that are blocked for 15, does it matter whether there's an actual rivet in the magazine or are the polymer ones that have been blocked and then the floor plates epoxied closed okay

3. For 10 rounders, has anyone had any experience with the following?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/10rd-ak-47-magazine-3-pack-detail.html?Itemid=0

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

Epoxy closed is fine. I prefer the larger mag as you get a better grip when reloading.

Which ak did you recently get, since you said you are new to the platform?

I'm going with a Century C39V2 for my first one. I went back and forth for a while between this one and a WASR 10.  At some point, I'd like to pick up one from Arsenal but I don't have the funds for that right now. Actually, that's what got me thinking about the 10 round magazines since it seems like that's what those rifles are shipped with

I'm going with a Century C39V2 for my first one. I went back and forth for a while between this one and a WASR 10. At some point, I'd like to pick up one from Arsenal but I don't have the funds for that right now. Actually, that's what got me thinking about the 10 round magazines since it seems like that's what those rifles are shipped with

This one?:lol:

Posted Image

One more 15/30 magazine related question (apologies in advance if it's a dumb one)...

Has anyone ever had any issues using pinned magazines at Range 14? I've seen the safety guys there check various people's AR magazines to make sure that they're not real 30 rounders.  The past couple of time that I've seen this happen, the gun owner will just point to the rivet in the mag to prove that it's been blocked.

I'm just wondering if they will give you some "extra" hassle with full sized mags that have blocked and epoxied since there isn't a rivet in the side to easily show that the capacity has been limited.

One more 15/30 magazine related question (apologies in advance if it's a dumb one)...

Has anyone ever had any issues using pinned magazines at Range 14? I've seen the safety guys there check various people's AR magazines to make sure that they're not real 30 rounders. The past couple of time that I've seen this happen, the gun owner will just point to the rivet in the mag to prove that it's been blocked.

I'm just wondering if they will give you some "extra" hassle with full sized mags that have blocked and epoxied since there isn't a rivet in the side to easily show that the capacity has been limited.

That's been discussed here before more than once. Apparently the RSO's there have a hard on for that. I hand just hand them all my blocked mags, and a few boxes of ammo and tell them "I'm not sure if they are blocked, you better check them out for me". & that's how you get the RO to load all of your magazines for you at Fort Dix haha B)

That's been discussed here before more than once. Apparently the RSO's there have a hard on for that. I hand just hand them all my blocked mags, and a few boxes of ammo and tell them "I'm not sure if they are blocked, you better check them out for me". & that's how you get the RO to load all of your magazines for you at Fort Dix haha B)

That's awesome - have any of them taken you up on the challenge?

I ordered a few 10 round magazines from K-Var to keep in reserve for the times that I don't feel like having to go through the "dog and pony show" of having them examine the full size blocked magazines

That's awesome - have any of them taken you up on the challenge?

I ordered a few 10 round magazines from K-Var to keep in reserve for the times that I don't feel like having to go through the "dog and pony show" of having them examine the full size blocked magazines

One did, he was convinced after loading two mags for me lol:D. I said "your not going to check them all?" He replied "nice try lol".

Pretty sure Midwest sells cut down true 15 round mags as well

It would be nice to find some cut-down 15 round mags - the 10 rounders just don't look right on the gun

or 15rd length cut down from 30's

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_136_108&products_id=734

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_136_108&products_id=742

Those are AR mags. Midwestpx only has 15 rd magpul AK mags in full 30 rd bodies. He said cut down not possible.

I waited a bit too long on the 15/30 AK mags from Midwest (they're sold out at the moment). 

The 10 round mags from K-Var will have to do for now.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/15_30_MidwestPX_Magpul_MOE_AK47_PMAG_Black_p/mwpx-1530akmoeblk.htm

There are a few left in the supply chain.  Dealers have been backordering mags due to a production problem with the newest batches of blocks (none of the problematic ones shipped...caught it before that).