medved11

15/30 AK Magazines

I am steel over polymer for AK mags but for 12 bucks you can't beat that. When you get them, I'd load every mag you bought and make sure it fits 15rds and not 16. Sometimes you can squeeze 16 in some of the blocked mags.

How do you like the C39V2? Thinking of picking one up as my second - have a WASR10

With mags - depending on your use, 
For range mags:
pmag, tapco and the other non-steel reinforced mags are fine.
For training or if you take any fighting rifle course, the nonreinforced mags will not survive.
All steel and pinned have been the way to go for me - gun show pick up chinese or romainian mags (humped spine and pinch weld spine respectively) have been the best performers after some surface rust removal and re-sprays and get them pinned.  

I ended-up not really liking the C39v2 for a bunch of reasons. I sold it over the summer and picked up an Arsenal SAM7F-66 a few months ago and love it.

There's a ~$500 difference between the C39v2 and the SAM7; however, I think that you get a much better gun for the money with the Arsenal.

How do you like the C39V2? Thinking of picking one up as my second - have a WASR10

With mags - depending on your use, 
For range mags:
pmag, tapco and the other non-steel reinforced mags are fine.
For training or if you take any fighting rifle course, the nonreinforced mags will not survive.
All steel and pinned have been the way to go for me - gun show pick up chinese or romainian mags (humped spine and pinch weld spine respectively) have been the best performers after some surface rust removal and re-sprays and get them pinned.  

I ended-up not really liking the C39v2 for a bunch of reasons. I sold it over the summer and picked up an Arsenal SAM7F-66 a few months ago and love it.

There's a ~$500 difference between the C39v2 and the SAM7; however, I think that you get a much better gun for the money with the Arsenal.

Without making it a lifetime movie, what didn't you like? little things or big issues?

Without making it a lifetime movie, what didn't you like? little things or big issues?

With the understanding that opinions on firearms are always highly subjective, here are my own "pros" and "cons" regarding the C39v2

Pros:

- Very good machine work on the bolt and bolt carrier group with minimal machining marks (the wood furniture was almost "too" nice)

- Almost perfectly zeroed out of the box (I only had to make a couple slight elevation adjustments in order to get it zeroed at 100 yards)

- Decent accuracy 

- The RAK1 trigger group has a good feel to it

- Comes with a bolt hold open notch cut out in the selector/safety 

- Virtually no mag wobble with Magpul, US PALM, and Russian bakelite mags

"Important" Cons:

- No scope mount rail on the receiver 

- I started reading (and seeing pictures) about issues with soft metal in the bolt and BCG on other forums (didn't feel like stressing over this since I wasn't really digging the gun)

"Less Important" Cons:

- The shiny (almost BB gun like) finish on the receiver and the giant engraved "C39V2" really started to irritate me after awhile (I would have painted the gun if I kept it to get rid of the finish but the engraving would have still bugged me

Admittedly, just about all of the "cons" that I listed could be fixed since they were mostly cosmetic or could be address with part swaps; however, I decided that I didn't want to invest the time or money into the gun. After doing some research, I decided to sell the C39 and and get the SAM7 since it address all of my issues. The SAM7-66 model was a bonus since it came with a side rail scope mount on the receiver and pic rail up front (where I've got my RDS mounted at the moment).

If you're set on buying an American milled receiver AK, then I believe that you're going to have to go with the C39v2. Unless they've changed something recently, the milled AK that is produced by DDI still "AK47" stamped on the receiver (at least according to the pictures on the Atlantic Firearms website):

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ddi-milled-ak47-detail.html?Itemid=0

Absolutely correct. I didn't have any mechanical issues with the C39v2 - it was just a personal preference thing.

If you're just getting into AK style rifles, then you may want to try out a new production WASR even though it's a stamped receiver. They're not too expensive and are good "starter" models.

Ok, all personal pref things and not a mechanical failure etc. Thanks for the input.

Like the feel of a milled ak so that's the only pref now. Still in teh beginning phases of looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct. I didn't have any mechanical issues with the C39v2 - it was just a personal preference thing.

If you're just getting into AK style rifles, then you may want to try out a new production WASR even though it's a stamped receiver. They're not too expensive and are good "starter" models.

Agree.... Love my wasr. Lotta fun. Runs like a champ. Made some changes and fine tuning to it and its even smoother.

I didn't want to go too expensive beings its my first AK. Wanted to see if I liked it first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point about the furniture. I had to do a decent amount of shopping around to find a decent Warsaw length stock for my SAM7 after deciding that the Intermediate KVAR stock wasn't really comfortable for me. I ended up having to custom fit a Polish milled one from RTGParts.

Another thing that I noticed was that the Krebs safety for milled receivers is a little loose on the SAM7 regardless of how much you try to increase the spring tension. While it won't go up over the dust cover, it will ride over the detent on the bottom of the receiver if I push too hard.

d1bfc4c9ae1e32cfec19ab029476a1b7.jpg

All the links I've seen here are for 7.62 mags, anyone know a source for some 15/30 5.45 mags?

http://www.country-spirit.com/shop/15-round-blocked-magazines-/56-1530-black-bulgarian-ak-74-metal-lined-synthetic-545x39mm-magazine-blocked-co-il-nj-legal-.html

They do it at whatever capacity you want...a little pricey.

I believe that those mags are the same as the one in the link below except that they've been blocked to 15 rounds:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/ak74-30rd-545x39-steel-lined-poly-brown-follower.html#.VsfC0PkrKCg

These have received mixed reviews on some of the AK specific sites. Supposedly they're made in Bulgaria but they're not military surplus.

The biggest complaint (if I remember correctly) is that the feed lips and locking lugs are not steel re-enforced. 

I have used the MAGPUL 7.62x39 30 rounders blocked to 15 in my converted Saiga and it feeds fine without fees ramp just needed to file down spine a little bit. I understand 5.45 feeds even better so can't wait to get some 15/30 MAGPUL 5.45 MAGS. As for Milled vs Stamped. AK-47 was originally designed to be stamped and Russian testing showed stamped to be better. My converted Saigas are stamped and I've had zero issues with either of them with 500 rounds through them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You *could* buy a couple magblocks, drive over to a pa gun show, buy two steel mags with bolt hold open features for $24, insert magblocks, secure your base plate and come home.......someone could probably do that.....maybe

Shit, I went on a week long vacation down in Holden Beach, NC over the summer. At the beginning of my week down there, I found a sale going on at one of the local gun stores, a case of 12x 30 round p-mags for something like $80. I went and got them, then ordered magblocks and epoxy from that website, and chose an option that made sure thy would get there before I had to come home. I then called the company and explained the whole situation to them. The lady was very polite, and said she would make sure they would go out the next day, to ensure they arrived on time. 2 days before I left, I blocked, epoxied, and pinned 12 pmags to nj compliance for something like $110, including shipping.

Found a site charliecoopers.com that has Tapco (Made in USA) 15/30 AK-74 magazines plus many other 15 round magazines. Not the best prices, but great selection. Another site jesticearms.com has 15/30 AK-47 magazines, 15/40 AR-15 magazines, and 15/20 AR-10 magazines at better prices but no response to email or phone so I just ordered from Charlie Coppers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk