302w

Wheel Weights

Does anyone cast and procure wheel weights any longer?

I've read that the OEs, most tire chain tire shops, and about a half dozen states have banned lead wheel weights. NJ and PA are not on the banned list. I currently work for a car dealership and our scrap bin is mostly all zinc, and I asked the one tech who scraps and he hasn't scrapped wheel weights in years.

If anyone is having any luck getting lead weights from small shops, I may try a few.

Does anyone cast and procure wheel weights any longer?

I've read that the OEs, most tire chain tire shops, and about a half dozen states have banned lead wheel weights. NJ and PA are not on the banned list. I currently work for a car dealership and our scrap bin is mostly all zinc, and I asked the one tech who scraps and he hasn't scrapped wheel weights in years.

If anyone is having any luck getting lead weights from small shops, I may try a few.

nj is set to ban lead wheel weights according to one of my suppliers. within the next year. supposedly anyone caught selling them, or even installing what they already had in stock after the ban takes effect are in for fines.

I have a bunch of lead wheel weights that I would not mind getting rid of. I planned on starting to cast my own bullets and fishing weights but never got around to it. let me know if your interested in them

Ha! This might be my buddy, but probably not what you are looking for ($).

http://allentown.craigslist.org/spo/4974718541.html

Scrap Wheel Weights and Lead Wheel Weights get hits:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/4976134287.html

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/spo/4958691992.html

I don't know how much it should cost and it's more fun to find a cheap source, of course.

What is considered a "good" price per lb for scrap lead anyway?

It's s commodity it changes weekly with the market. the easiest way to find out is call a scrap yard most of them have the daily prices on the answering system when you call. Or you can check online. Do you need lead? remember what I do for a living, I have a "bit" to say the least. Totes full in my garage I can't pick up lol.

It's s commodity it changes weekly with the market. the easiest way to find out is call a scrap yard most of them have the daily prices on the answering system when you call. Or you can check online. Do you need lead? remember what I do for a living, I have a "bit" to say the least. Totes full in my garage I can't pick up lol.

Don't need lead yet, was just wondering for future considerations. I didn't know if there was a "If you see at this price or less, buy." type of deal. 

Don't need lead yet, was just wondering for future considerations. I didn't know if there was a "If you see at this price or less, buy." type of deal.

Believe me bro you don't want to store this crap if you don't need it. It's a nightmare to move around when it's in my way. One of these days I'm going to be bored and fire the pot up melt all of it into ingets. Just been too busy lately to play lead smelter hahha.

Mipafox, I think I met Jeff. I think. I'm terrible with names. I'm referring to Pennsylvania Jeff. 

As of right now, I'm quietly scrounging for lead. I inherited all of the equipment to cast and I am planning on casting in the summer. I'm curious to see how tire shops are going to react to me bugging for lead. I don't want to pay much for a bucket of scrap that is 50% zinc...

What would be a guestimate price on a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights? Assuming a healthy amount are zinc. 

Edit: I should have mentioned I was picking spent bullets from the range backstop today. I would love to pick through the backstop at an indoor range but I'm sure no range wants that liability.

Mipafox, I think I met Jeff. I think. I'm terrible with names. I'm referring to Pennsylvania Jeff.

As of right now, I'm quietly scrounging for lead. I inherited all of the equipment to cast and I am planning on casting in the summer. I'm curious to see how tire shops are going to react to me bugging for lead. I don't want to pay much for a bucket of scrap that is 50% zinc...

What would be a guestimate price on a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights? Assuming a healthy amount are zinc.

Edit: I should have mentioned I was picking spent bullets from the range backstop today. I would love to pick through the backstop at an indoor range but I'm sure no range wants that liability.

What calibers can you cast? Maybe we can make a deal. I have a little bit of lead to say the least. I'm a plumber I come a cross lead all the time.

Here's what he said for whatever it's worth:

"I would not pay for them. Most of the time they will give them away because it's

less work they have to do and they don't get much for them. If someone wants money,

tell him to keep checking around, someone will give them to him. Also, he should

tell them he casts sinkers and other fishing lures. H e will have to sort through

them to pick out the garbage."

No real gems I guess, just keep hitting the pavement :)

Mipafox, thank you. I appreciate it.

DeerSlayer, I have no idea. I will be casting 9mm and 45acp first, then 38 and followed by maybe 308. Likely LRN and maybe Keith SWCs