302w

Sales Tax on Ebay

Any time I bought anything online I only had to pay sales tax when shipping within the same state. That goes for Ebay, Amazon, etc.

Tonight I was looking to buy a bullet puller. Seller #1 was listed as "USA" and Ebay wanted to charge me a dollar for tax. Seller #2 was in IL and they wanted to charge me a dollar for tax as well for shipping to PA, and $1.07 to NJ.

What gives? 

Ask them to send you a copy of their license to collect sales tax in New Jersey. They are required to display it in public view and provide it to the public upon request. I finally got rid of mine after 15 years.

I think you can search the status of them online as well. You might have to search the company name first and then get the company registration number, then look up the license. I don't know it works that way but a lot of stuff does and requires more than one search.

Well Amazon opened a warehouse in NJ, and now must collect NJ sales tax as they have a physical presence in NJ - but this only applies to stuff from Amazon directly not from their affiliated merchants if they don't have operations in NJ.  Don't know about how eBay handles this.

Always thought that was a bad move by Amazon. NJ is the most densley populated state in the country. Sales tax makes them less attractive to buy from. Plus when what ever tax deal they struck to build the place runs out the NJ liberals are going to womp the heck out of them in taxes.

Always thought that was a bad move by Amazon. NJ is the most densley populated state in the country. Sales tax makes them less attractive to buy from. Plus when what ever tax deal they struck to build the place runs out the NJ liberals are going to womp the heck out of them in taxes.

When that happens Amazon will leave like all other business has.  I would venture to say they do not own that property just leasing it.  Makes it easier to pressure another location into tax breaks to show up and disappear when they are over.  Net result goverment subsidies for corporate America.  Stupid lawmakers.

I will deliberately choose vendors on ebay and online that do NOT collect sales tax from me, as much as I possibly can.

I select lowest total cost--including tax and S/H.  This was often Amazon in the past, but since they started collecting tax they are losing my purchases more often.  However, if it is close, then I will go with Amazon because they are good about returns and correcting any issues I have had in the past.

I select lowest total cost--including tax and S/H. This was often Amazon in the past, but since they started collecting tax they are losing my purchases more often. However, if it is close, then I will go with Amazon because they are good about returns and correcting any issues I have had in the past.

This.

I will deliberately choose vendors on ebay and online that do NOT collect sales tax from me, as much as I possibly can.

But wait, what difference does it make.  Don't you voluntarily submit payment to NJ your 7% use tax for any purchase you may make anywhere where they don't collect sales tax? :)

you guys realize that some day sooner or later the state's gonna come after everyone for sales tax? they do it for cigarettes i think. someone told me that they have a way of collecting the sales tax for a car you may have bought in de.

you guys realize that some day sooner or later the state's gonna come after everyone for sales tax? they do it for cigarettes i think. someone told me that they have a way of collecting the sales tax for a car you may have bought in de.

You always pay the state sales tax TO the state where the car will be REGISTERED even when you buy it out of that state.

It's only a matter of time before all states will require online sellers to collect sales tax from their residents. The states have been pushing for this since they are losing to much tax revenue to ever more popular online sales. At some point you are going to see the states come together with some form of cooperative agreement.