ChrisJM981

Puncture & biohazard resistant work gloves

I'm hoping some LEOs can help me out here. I'm looking for a work gloves that is biological hazard resistant. I was planning on using black nitrile gloves, but I need something reusable that keeps a decent amount of feel in your fingers. Cut and puncture resistant are a plus.

To protect from biohazards the ideal gloves are disposable. If you are wearing gloves that are being exposed to body fluids, dirt, grime, germs and contaminants; do you really want to throw them in a pocket for later use? This contaminates your pocket and anything else in your pocket. You bring it home and put it in with your kids laundry. As a paramedic I use disposable gloves and throw them away before I touch anything other then my patient or equipment. I wash my uniforms with color safe bleach and separately from the rest of the family's laundry. When my son was little my work boots lived in the car. Hepititis C can live in dried blood for over a week and hot tap water isn't hot enough to kill it.

You're not going to get any fine feeling through gloves that are difficult to cut, so you need to determine the most important criteria.  Cut/Tear resistance or tactile feeling.

You can get some good form fit rubber gloves and put a disposable over them that you pull off and toss.  This way you're protected in the event the bio glove tears but you're not getting much feel from it.

What exactly are you using them for?  Biological resistant with cut/puncture resistance is a hard balance.

This covers all three, but you are not going to be able to perform tasks easily

http://www.turtleskin.com/Chemical-Resistant-Gloves.aspx

I need to be able to handle money & tickets on a train. People are disgusting and lick their fingers before separating tickets, hand me money with dried blood on it, etc. I was thinking something like these:

http://www.turtleskin.com/Duty-Gloves.aspx

I need to be able to handle money & tickets on a train. People are disgusting and lick their fingers before separating tickets, hand me money with dried blood on it, etc. I was thinking something like these:

http://www.turtleskin.com/Duty-Gloves.aspx

Regular non-powdered disposable gloves. You don't want to have reusable or leather gloves because you'll be touching them when taking them off or putting them in your pocket. Leather is porous, that's a no-no with fluids (blood, urine, mucus,etc.)

You may think that having a pair of durable gloves for your intended use is a good idea, but it's not.  As previously mentioned, you will be collecting all sorts of nasty crud on those gloves day after day.  I work in the medical sector and use Kimberly Clark purple nitrile gloves.  They are surprisingly robust, I've been poked by all kinds of stuff and the gloves did not break.  Each box has 100 gloves and costs under 15 cents per pair.  You will probably need to change them at least once a day so figure on 30 cents or less per day to keep your hands clean.  The bottom line is that for less than $15 per month you will keep your hands safe and clean.  You can probably write them off as a tax deduction.

If you talk to your safety manager, they should provide them. If they give you any grief, refer them to OSHA regulation 29 CFR 1910.132

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=9777&p_table=STANDARDS

That's the OSHA PPE standard. Specifically point out section (h)(1) -

Except as provided by paragraphs (h)(2) through (h)(6) of this section, the protective equipment, including personal protective equipment (PPE), used to comply with this part, shall be provided by the employer at no cost to employees.

(h)(2) thru (h)(6) refers to clothing and footwear.

I'm an occupational safety consultant and spend a good portion of my professional life explaining to employers why they have to pay for specific PPE that employees request. The general understanding (and OSHA's view) is that, if an employee perceives something as a hazard, the hazard exists until the employer can prove otherwise. You shouldn't have a problem explaining why you want gloves to handle money and other absorbent materials handled by the General public.

This signature is AWESOME!!!