BlueLineFish

To Tavor or Not to Tavor

In my opinion you Can't really compare a tavor to a high end ar ..... It's more like a jersey "sbr" ....I had one and had no issues with it at all .... In my opinion it did feel kinda cheap being all plastic externally .... And initially the caliber conversions were to be reasonable and quick.... But as it turned out they were neither and they dropped a couple of the initial calibers slated .....not sure if they are worth the suggested list but I'd buy another for a GOOD deal lol

I have a soft spot for bullpup rifles. I don't have a Tavor but they intrigue me. My MSAR has been great but now that Microtech is out of the rifle business, I may just need to pick up a Tavor to satisfy my bulpup affliction with a weapon platform that has some commercial support.

Like PJD stated they are great as legal SBR's. There are some drawbacks, but they aren't deal breakers when viewed against thier advantages.

I have an MSAR with a 16" barrel and it is more compact than my issued Colt Commando with 11.5" barrel.

Keep in mind that the manual of arms on a bulpup is very different and most manipulations a take longer than on an AR platform. Because if that it's hard to compare the two platforms as apples to apples.

I think thats what is making me hesitant. The manual of arms. I never really thought it was a big deal until i got a PPQ. Was shooting it a lot and got used to the paddle release. Went to do quals at work and found myself looking for the paddle realease on my glock 19. Took a little bit to revert back to the muscle memory for my 19.

I have one with the mepro sight. Yeah its cool Its different But not to thrilled with it For a close quarters rifle its great. But for at the range. Ar definitely. I dont shoot mine much. Give me coe and take it for a few weeks. I wont sell it. I like to hoard. Offers out there. If i do the idpa at rtsp may 4. Ill bring it with me if you want to have your hand at it.

I have one and I love it. I put the PWS FSC on it and that barrel does not move. LE pricing is just around 1500 so how could I turn that down. I agree with you that it is a totally different OP system but its not hard to get used to. Just shoulder the AR then pick up a Tavor and you will know what I am talking bout. The AR will feel extremely front heavy compared to the Tavor which you can shoulder seemingly forever.

• Like 1

Try and shoot one first. I had the chance to fire one the other day, a guy at the range i belong to had just bought one from Bobs. Im only speaking for myself but i couldn't be more unimpressed by any firearm I've ever shot. The trigger felt like it had an inch of travel and it also felt like a 25lb pull weight. I had a 10 round mag and only shot 3 rounds before i handed it back and said thanks. To each his own maybe you will love it. 

The heavy and gritty trigger is inherent to the bullpup design and is one of the biggest detractors from the platform.

If you think about where the trigger is located and the distance between where the trigger is and where the hammer is, the crappy trigger makes sense.

I picked up a trigger upgrade from 20/20 for my MSAR. It now feels like it has a Geissele SSA in there. I was pleasantly surprised.

I am pretty sure that there are aftermarket Tavor triggers as well. It just sucks to pay $250 for a trigger in a brand new rifle that set you back $1500.

It does NOT feel cheap at all. It's nothing like an AR. Shoulder one and you will be buying one.

Well perhaps I had the "unicorn" but the handguard on mine was held in place by a little plastic tab/slot in the rear and the 2 screws in the front and it tried a stubby vfg and it had so much movement it was ridiculous... It felt like the handguard was going to break or pop off so I replaced it wit and afg... Still more movement than I liked ... Not to mention that it's essentially mounted to a horseshoe barrel standoff with a bushing tight to the barrel....think that doesn't torque on that pencil barrel creating poa/poi issues?....

I removed the bushing between the horseshoe and the barrel to eliminate barrel torquing ...felt like a soup sandwich so reinstalled and lived with it.... Still not cheap/poor design? Detail strip for a barrel swap yet? Feels like you're going to break some of the plastic "bodywork" in doing so....but as I said before this was my opinion based on my experience.... I like the concept and from the overly cheap plastic "feel" I liked it but is it worth $15-1800? that's an individual decision .....in my OPINION it is not worth retail and there are far better (quality) weapons for that much money..... Just my opinion/experience

Have a chance to get a deal on a Tavor. Are they worth it? How much better than building a higher end AR? Are they worth the price?

From my experience, shooting Tavor is fun. The major drawback is price. That is, if you have a good deal - jump on it :nyam:

I finally handled one yesterday. For the price i was going to have to be very impressed. Front hand position was uncomfortable for me and it just felt cheap and awkward. So it seems the answer is for now to not tavor. I would get one if i found one cheap. Just not something i need to have. Looks like another AR build is in order. Something very unique is coming out and i plan on ordering one ASAP

In regards to the Tavor, are we able to purchase the 16.5" Versions and have the A2 birdcage replaced with a brake + pin and weld? The NJ compliant 18" versions make me vomit.

YES