boo

karambit suggestions?

Anyone here have a karambit as their EDC? I've recently started taking up escrima (actually retaking after a long hiatus), and the instructor I found also trains on the use of a karambit. Any ideas on which ones to look at? My preferences are for folding and relatively smaller in size.

Emerson Combat Karambit. Expensive, but like most things you get what you pay for.

x3

Trained Escrima for years, had a variety of them.

Quality of the piece, feel, wave feature works great.

One note, Emerson grinds are a trick to pull off, especially on the recurve of the karambit.

Point being, don't waste the edge on opening boxes etc.

Its hard to get the chisel grind right with that recurve.

Thanks all for the input, I ended up going with the Spyderco Karahawk. I considered the Emerson Combat, but the thinness of the Karahawk was the deciding factor for me since I hate carrying bulky knives. I won't lie, the steep price tag didn't help much, but it wasn't the overriding factor. I may go ahead and get the Emerson also at some point if I get a chance to handle one in person first. Now I just need to figure out how to carry a karambit inconspicuously with dress slacks/shirt. FWIW, I got the karahawk from knifeworks.com. Good price and shipped out the same day I ordered via 2-day priority.

I see a lot of karambit twirling videos, am I correct that it's just for show? I can't imagine any practical reason, except maybe to initimidate a potential attacker into backing out of a fight? It just seems like you lack control of the knife and it gives someone a chance to disarm you or even hurt you with your own knife.

Thanks all for the input, I ended up going with the Spyderco Karahawk.

I see a lot of karambit twirling videos, am I correct that it's just for show? I can't imagine any practical reason, except maybe to initimidate a potential attacker into backing out of a fight? It just seems like you lack control of the knife and it gives someone a chance to disarm you or even hurt you with your own knife.

Fine choice, its slimer, easier on the pocket and hand if you use the pocket, but still strong and will do the job.

Biggest thing I like between that and the Emerson in the Emerson's fingered grip and the  back pillar, plus its just a tank :)

Bottom line, it'll get the job done just as well and you may carry it more because it fits you better.

Twirling ... for knife, never big on it as its too small to really effect what your doing.

Sticks ... at least the fast movement and spin keeps the eye not knowing which direction it will come from, helps hide the shoulder giveaway a bit.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a Spyderco Karahawk. I bought it for the helluvit and do carry it sometimes...Typical Spyderco quality. I would never recommend an Emerson based upon my experiences with their locks failing from typical use, not abuse, even after returning from Emerson to fix it.