Kevin125

First couple of pistols

Putting in permits next week. We'll see how long it is in my town (Manalapan).

Saw a bunch of good info here on the subject of choosing a first pistol...or a few first pistols... :-)

So far it looks like my first two might be a Beretta M9A1 and an H&K VP9.

I haven't shot either yet. But I've handled the M9 and it's variants a few times. Like how it feels. I've not handled or shot the VP9 but I'm doing an NRA Basic Pistol course in a few weeks and will rent the Beretta and a P30 if I can do that during the live fire portion of the course. Try em out is good advice from these forums. So is the taking the course. I'll do both.

Friend of mine has a VP9. Raves about it. His opinion and the posts here convinced me it's worth trying. I'll head to a range with him if we both have time.

Not sure where I am on hammer vs striker. Guess I'll find out.

If anyone has any opinion on these two choices or anything else worth checking out as first pistol, it's much appreciated.

Budget is about $800 per. Less is better. But I'd rather spend more for something I like than spend less for something that I sorta like.

Caliber is likely 9mm or similar. Not looking to beat myself up with a .40 S&W. From what I read recoil is noticibly more.

Anyway, will post pics of both when I actually recieve whatever I end up with.

You might want to check out a CZ-75b versus the Beretta.  Unless you have huge hands the Beretta has a huge grip and it makes it hard to reach the mag release without changing your grip.  I have both, so this is from first hand experience.

I shot the VP9 and ergonomically it's the bomb. Feels like part of your hand. The trigger was for me just meh,  but I am a fan of hammer fired pistols and have only fired one striker fired pistol that I liked. Glock 34 with an Apex trigger. I have also tried H&K's S&W M&P's and other Glocks. Fine choices all but just not for me.

I like a DA/SA pistol and my revolver in DA. 

Like Griz says master the DA revolver and every thing else is easy.

See if you can get someone to let you shoot theirs before you make a decision. Just because I like something doesn't mean you will too.

Definitely plan to shoot those two and hopefully a few more before I buy. Thnx

You might want to check out a CZ-75b versus the Beretta.  Unless you have huge hands the Beretta has a huge grip and it makes it hard to reach the mag release without changing your grip.  I have both, so this is from first hand experience.

I think I read a few comments about the CZ. Hands are probably normal size. Though I don't like the feel of compact handguns. If the CZ similar but laid out better, it might work. Thnx

Try a S&W M&P in your flavor of choice. I was very crotchety with 1911's and wheelguns until I shot one.

Will take another look at the M&P. good news I guess is I have some time to check these and others out. Have to see if anyone has these other for rent.

Wanted to shoot a compact version of something. Didn't like how small they felt in my hand, but since I have time I may as well try as many as I can. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

I shot the VP9 and ergonomically it's the bomb. Feels like part of your hand. The trigger was for me just meh,  but I am a fan of hammer fired pistols and have only fired one striker fired pistol that I liked. Glock 34 with an Apex trigger. I have also tried H&K's S&W M&P's and other Glocks. Fine choices all but just not for me.

I like a DA/SA pistol and my revolver in DA. 

Like Griz says master the DA revolver and every thing else is easy.

I was also a fan of hammer fired pistol and thought I would never get a striker fired.  Picked up my VP9 last month, it's amazing.  I was always more accurate with a .45 then smaller calibers, had lousy groups with my friend's CZ-75, but the VP9 more then compensated for my short comings.  The VP9 is a great choice.  However, you should also consider availability and price of magazines, VP9/P30 magazines are impossible to find and when you do find them they are around $55 each. 

I was also a fan of hammer fired pistol and thought I would never get a striker fired.  Picked up my VP9 last month, it's amazing.  I was always more accurate with a .45 then smaller calibers, had lousy groups with my friend's CZ-75, but the VP9 more then compensated for my short comings.  The VP9 is a great choice.  However, you should also consider availability and price of magazines, VP9/P30 magazines are impossible to find and when you do find them they are around $55 each. 

I agree the VP9 feels great in your hand, although I have never actually fired one - it is on my list to consider.  As for Lousy groups with the CZ, well that could be the specific gun or (no offense) the shooter.  Different people and different guns either work well together or do not.  I find my CZ's very accurate, only my STI being more accurate.  

I agree the VP9 feels great in your hand, although I have never actually fired one - it is on my list to consider.  As for Lousy groups with the CZ, well that could be the specific gun or (no offense) the shooter.  Different people and different guns either work well together or do not.  I find my CZ's very accurate, only my STI being more accurate.  

no offense taken, it was definitely me not the gun, however I do have big hands so the fit of the grip could have played a part. 

no offense taken, it was definitely me not the gun, however I do have big hands so the fit of the grip could have played a part. 

If you have big hands then the Beretta is made for you!  The CZ has a much thinner grip, and you can even put very thin panels on it which makes it great for those of us with average or smaller hands.  I suppose you could also put bigger grips on it if you have big hands.  What I think makes it a great gun is the internal rail system which is different than most guns and makes the slide operate very smoothly.

If you're looking for a 9mm I would definitely check out the CZ. May not be for you but, worth looking at. I found it to be very comfortable and it points nicely. Mine is very accurate. I shoot 1911s almost exclusively but I have been very impressed with my CZ75b (my only 9mm). My buddy has the Beretta and I didn't enjoy shooting it nearly as much as the CZ..

The CZ75 has a few variations. B is probably what I'd choose. Grip looks a little smaller front to back than the Beretta's. I'll have to try one out.  ShoreShot may have one.  They list CZs in their rental line.  The other ranges I was heading to don't have any CZs.  Guess I'll be checking out some ranges and some pistols.  Works for me.

@MartyZ.  Thnx for time line.  Hopefully they're still turning them around in 6 weeks.

Thnx again for the info and advice. Really appreciate it.  A lot of stuff I don't know yet. All of this helps.

All excellent choices to consider as most previous posters have said , i own the VP9 and love it. The back and side grip panels to customize the grip  make it conform to many diff. hand sizes. I have about 3k factory rounds through it and no issues. CZ gets plenty of love also, but never shot one. 

i'm close to OBRPC if you want to meet and dump a few mags from my VP9, i also have a Beretta 96A1 (.40 S&W) if you care to try and compare..

shoot me a pm

All excellent choices to consider as most previous posters have said , i own the VP9 and love it. The back and side grip panels to customize the grip  make it conform to many diff. hand sizes. I have about 3k factory rounds through it and no issues. CZ gets plenty of love also, but never shot one. 

i'm close to OBRPC if you want to meet and dump a few mags from my VP9, i also have a Beretta 96A1 (.40 S&W) if you care to try and compare..

shoot me a pm

Joe, thanks for that offer.  I may take you up on it.  Wanted to get the NRA basic pistol done so I'm not as ignorant of the finer points as I am now.  Not new to long guns.  Just been away from them for a while and haven't shot a handgun at a range in probably 20 years. My LEO buddy's 9mm S&W. 

I used to hunt in Sayreville and parts of Old Bridge.  And used to shoot compound bows at Broken Arrow if you know the area by the reservoir.  I'm sure its changed a lot since I've been there.

Anyway.. if I can do it, I'll PM you.  Thanks again.

Solid choices for the two you mentioned, but if you're considering the VP9 you might want to look at the Walther PPQ.  Very similar ergonomics and trigger.  And I don't see a 1911 mentioned.  Lots of nice 1911's out there without spending a boatload.  As for the CZ, If you're a lefty try a CZ85 instead of the 75.  The 85 has ambi controls, otherwise I believe it's the same handgun. Like something heavy?  Try a baby dessert eagle - platform is similar to the CZ.   Shot a Glock?  I'm not a huge fan of them, but there must be a reason they're so many of them out there.  If you'd consider a revolver the Ruger GP100 is a great entry into them.

My 2 cents:

First, if you are getting two, consider one to be a revolver.  Simple, reliable, accurate (for me at least).  If you do, I highly recommend SW 686 or Ruger GP100.

Second, I tried Berettas M9 and 92fs.  They are supposedly pretty much the same, but for me 92 was much more comfortable and accurate.  It could be different for you of course, I just recommend to try.

I tried as many semi autos as possible before settling on my M&P - Glocks, 92FS, P226, P229, P30. Would have been a tougher decision if the VP9 or P320 were in the mix at the time, but I'm happy with the M&P line.

Before I purchased any guns, I rented quite a few handguns in different calibers, at the ranges I am a member at.  My intention was to give each gun a “test drive” and experience the various subtle nuances between the design differences and feel of various manufacturers and models.

From this exploration experience, I decided that I like full size 9mm semi automatics the best for general shooting, followed by .45 ACP semi-automatics.  Since NJ does not allow CC, I really do not feel the need for a compact or sub-compact handgun.  I may decide to pursue participating in one of the sanctioned pistol competition organizations, and if I do then I like the 9mm format.

I learned to appreciate most of these guns for their reputations and proven reliability.  I could see firsthand their individual unique aspects and variations in built quality fit and finish and different trigger feel and pressure required.  I have been enjoying learning the differences and feel between a hammer vs. striker action; polymer vs. metal; light vs. heavy weight, various sight styles and configurations, different barrel lengths, and ultimately how they feel in my hand and the resulting accuracy in shooting them at various distances.
My first handgun purchases have been new 9mm semi-automatic models and in the order of purchase were as follows:

1.  Glock 17, Gen 4  - I have gradually modified this pistol with upgraded parts including a tungsten guide rod and spring, ext. aluminum magazine catch, Trijicon HD night sights, and the Ultimate Pyramid Trigger System.  Most recently I purchased and affixed to the pistol on its rail a SureFire X400 Ultra LED light with green Laser. All of these upgrades have made a very noticeable improvement in my shooting comfort, enjoyment and accuracy at the range with this popular and simple striker action handgun.

2.  Heckler and Koch P30L – I ordered this in the LEM iteration and V1 trigger.  While the gun fits and feels great in my hand, the DA/SA does take getting used to with this hammer action and the resulting trigger pull weight and travel is quite hard and long.

3.  Sig Sauer P226 MK-25 – The Navy Seal hand gun that includes the factory installed SIGLITE® front and rear night sights.  I also had it upgraded with the factory provided Sig Sauer Short Reset Trigger (SRT) package which reduces the trigger reset travel by about 60%.  It has a solid weighty feel due to its metal instead of polymer construction, excellent build quality, and a great feel in my hand, as well as being very accurate.

4.  Walther PPQ M2 – I opted for the 5 inch barrel variation and also purchased aftermarket front and rear Dawson fiber optic sights to replace the standard sights.  IMHO, it has the best standard trigger of all of these guns and is as good as the Ultimate Pyramid Trigger system that I added to my Glock.  The 1” longer barrel does make a difference in accuracy on the range.

EDIT:    I recently purchased a new CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom 9mm (2014 model), to round out this diverse collection. 
Then on to a .45 ACP...  It will be a tried and true traditional 1911, one of the very high quality semi-automatic 1911's from a very respected manufacturer with good customer service.

AVB-AMG

Mustang, Michael, MikeL and AVB. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm definitely going to be renting as many guns as possible. Including a lot of the ones mentioned here. I think among all these I'll find a few that really work for me.

I don't know what I'll think of hammer vs striker fired yet. And a revolver isn't something I even considered until reading these posts, so I'll be giving at least one a try.

Going to make sure I try a Glock.

I've reading some comments about the Beretta's now using a plastic spring guide and possibly some other plastic parts. A little concerned about that but for at least the spring guide, it seems that you can buy a stainless replacement. Not sure if these are parts subject to wear or not. If they are then plastic doesn't seem like the best choice. I know the 92s are supposed to be a little on the heavy side, but a spring guide shouldn't make much difference with total weight. Will have to look into it more.

Permits went in. Officer in charge, who was a nice guy and helpful said it could take three months. And an extension won't be a problem. So I guess I have a lot of time to try out a lot of guns.

Thanks for the info.

Mustang, Michael, MikeL and AVB. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm definitely going to be renting as many guns as possible. Including a lot of the ones mentioned here. I think among all these I'll find a few that really work for me.

I don't know what I'll think of hammer vs striker fired yet. And a revolver isn't something I even considered until reading these posts, so I'll be giving at least one a try.

Going to make sure I try a Glock.

I've reading some comments about the Beretta's now using a plastic spring guide and possibly some other plastic parts. A little concerned about that but for at least the spring guide, it seems that you can buy a stainless replacement. Not sure if these are parts subject to wear or not. If they are then plastic doesn't seem like the best choice. I know the 92s are supposed to be a little on the heavy side, but a spring guide shouldn't make much difference with total weight. Will have to look into it more.

Permits went in. Officer in charge, who was a nice guy and helpful said it could take three months. And an extension won't be a problem. So I guess I have a lot of time to try out a lot of guns.

Thanks for the info.

He told me 3 months also, but it only took 6 weeks.  Hopefully they are not too backlogged.

I am in a similar position...just waiting on my permit to go through to get my first handgun.  I have a Glock 19 with a FDE grip on layaway just waiting for me ; ).  At $600, I can scoff at legendary Glock reliability.  It will be used for home defense and IDPA.  I may get a Glock 34 later, for a full size, competition ready 9mm.

Have you fired the Glock Gen 4's with the dual recoil spring?

Get one revolver (at least). Don't worry about CC you'll never have it. GP100, S&W 686 (out of your price range?). Not much experience here but only guns I've had with no issues ever whatsoever are revolvers and my CZs.