Sign in to follow this  
FishNHard

How many times have you outgrown your safe....

I have a Jr. Executive sized stack-on because I live in an apartment. It was never large enough to start with but space is limited. My 14.5 middy BCM will fit in it assembled as well as my 870. But my other AR and M1 Garand have to be broken down to fit in it. The day I buy a house I will be purchasing a 24 gun or larger.

I'm on my third & I only have handguns.  My first was a small bookcase safe that I swore would be big enough since I only planned to get a couple handguns, and how much room could that require?  My second safe was a bigger version of the first, and it didn't take me long to fill that one.  Then I reinstalled the first on top of the second and slowly filled them both up.

I just bought #3, a true gun safe, and am transferring everythiong over as I figure out how I want to organize it.  This should (I know...) be the last one I get at least while I'm in NJ.  At the rate I get permits and free up cash it will be a couple years before this one fills up, and by then I'll be somewhere else.

It's amazing how many handguns can fit in a small space if you organize them.  But it's a pain to go through them for a range trip. 

have (1) 12, (1) 24, (1) 32 gun safes that are packed to the point I gota take stuff apart to fit it in.  I'm leaning towards BLF's thinking of a safe room vs individual safes.  I don't really want a half dozen safes that I have to sift thru every time I want to take something out.

have (1) 12, (1) 24, (1) 32 gun safes that are packed to the point I gota take stuff apart to fit it in.  I'm leaning towards BLF's thinking of a safe room vs individual safes.  I don't really want a half dozen safes that I have to sift thru every time I want to take something out.

That's an excellent idea and if done correctly, can be very well concealed.  Just like the old days of prohibition ;)

Leave one small safe outside with some low end guns as a decoy, then pack the rest in the room. 

BLF, if you don't mind me asking, how did you build it? I'm about to be moving into a bigger house, and I've been kicking around the idea of doing this once I'm in there. Thinking of doing cinder blocks to the "ceiling", then some kind of reinforced door, and leaving a dehumidifier running in there. Did you do anything to reinforce the 1st floor floor over the room in case the person is REALLY persistent? I saw a scene where a burglar literally broke through the side of the house to gain entry, so I have no doubts if someone breaks into my house and thinks something really valuable is in the room they will try everything to get in, including tearing up the flooring on the floor above it. I just can't think of a way to reinforce the "ceiling" of the room.

Not the first time this question has arisen over the years. There are very few companies that make safes today for modern weapons. The current safe designers are still designing them like our asinine legislators still think flintlocks are still to be used in modern day war.

I have a Patriot 24 gun safe. I use to always use a formula. A 24 gun safe, you might be able to fit 12 rifles in it. Wouldn't you think that? After all, there are 24 slots to hold the rifles in right? Ettttttt! Wrong! I'm down to 2 shotguns, 4 ARs as far as anything other than pitols. Because of the modern add ons like, flashlights, scopes, vertical forearms, etc. ya can't get shit to lean straight without leaning on each other. So for 6 sticks as you may call them, they are fighting for space in a 24 gun safe.

IF and I mean IF I had the money other than building a real armor plated gun room, I would have bought a Pendleton safe. These are the only safe designers I'ver seen to use every inch of space wisely where not one weapon rubs elbows.

So you want to save money on buying multiple safes? Do like you'd buy a scope for your $3000 rifle and buy once and cry once. I've learned my lesson. No more typical safes. If and when I can afford one of theirs, my current Patriot, which incidently, is a wonderful safe, will be used for important papers, jewelry and if I get really fed up, it will become an ammo locker.

Whew, ok, jumping off my soap box. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk