Howard

If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck with guns :(

I had yet another gun issue at a match today.  Was at Easton Fish and Game for a large IDPA match when my STI Trojan decided it just did not want to work anymore after only the third of twelve stages.  Fortunately for me another shooter on my squad had the same gun and was nice enough to share his gun with me so I could complete the match.  When I opened her up here is what I found :(

16660708814_3ed322a349_z_d.jpg

That sucks. Sorry. It's a relatively easy fix just make sure to check the frame of the pistol to make sure that you aren't slamming on the VIS or something wacky. Most likely it just a weak link.

Glad that you were able to complete the match.

C

ETA: It could be that your link is a touch short rather than it smacking something inside. Be sure to check it regardless.

C

I have never seen a barrel link break. I would replace the slide stop also. Barrel link's purpose is to lower barrel after firing nothing more. On return to battery the barrel returns to position by riding up on the lower barrel lugs. Something is not right with the lower barrel lugs and lockup. A link should never be used to tighten a barrel during lockup. Link spacing between the two holes can vary from .268 to .273 I believe so time for a smith to see what the problem is.
Some reading about function and effect. http://www.m1911.org/testkit.htm

This is a 9mm variant of the gun.  Not sure about those wheel guns being so great.  A woman on my squad had her's totally lock up and you could not even open the cylinder.  I think it turned out the firing pin in her's broke.  I am guessing this was some sort of metallurgical failure, as two point failures are not exactly common.

Howard, I've had excellent experience with STI. I'd send that damned pistol to them, I don't care how many rounds, And they should stand behind it.

If you really needed one I have an STI 9mm Trojan. We'd just have to figure out how to make a legal loaner.

Howard, I've had excellent experience with STI. I'd send that damned pistol to them, I don't care how many rounds, And they should stand behind it.

If you really needed one I have an STI 9mm Trojan. We'd just have to figure out how to make a legal loaner.

Thanks.  I know they will stand behind it.  I posted on Enos forum and Dustin at STI said, "We will fix the issue. Sorry for your bad luck".  I am just lucky that someone on my squad had a substantially identical (actually exact) gun and was nice enough to let me use it to complete the match.  

While I appreciate your offer, unfortunately in New Jermany we know such a load is not possible.  Well I guess one could do it through a sale with a P2P and then later a sale back with another P2P.  Oh well.  I am not going to like being without the STI for a while, but I'll live.  Guess it will give me more trigger time with my tupperware :)

I have never seen a barrel link break. I would replace the slide stop also. Barrel link's purpose is to lower barrel after firing nothing more. On return to battery the barrel returns to position by riding up on the lower barrel lugs. Something is not right with the lower barrel lugs and lockup. A link should never be used to tighten a barrel during lockup. Link spacing between the two holes can vary from .268 to .273 I believe so time for a smith to see what the problem is.

Some reading about function and effect. http://www.m1911.org/testkit.htm

Dan Dwyer's Group Gripper licensed to Wilson performs this feat.

12g.jpg

Howard, I've seen this happen to a few guns on various forums.

No definitive answers usually as to the cause, but a number of people did point out that high pressure rounds can be the culprit.

Just something to consider.

Spoke with Randy at STI this morning and he told me that I should send the barrel in and they will fix it, hopefully they can turn it around in a day is what he told me.  So, it is on it's way to Texas and hopefully I'll be up and running early next week.

Spoke with Randy at STI this morning and he told me that I should send the barrel in and they will fix it, hopefully they can turn it around in a day is what he told me.  So, it is on it's way to Texas and hopefully I'll be up and running early next week.

All they wanted was the barrel? -- interesting that they don't want to know the cause of the link failure

Yes they do make the trojan in .45acp -- I shoot the snot out of mine...

Good luck with it this time.  I wonder how they would know the link was too short unless they fitted the barrel in another frame. But thats not your frame.  Anyway, as I said, Good Luck with it.

Checko, links are fitted based on the frame and barrel fit. It's only purpose it to lower the barrel during cycling, nothing else.  Sizes vary by the distance between the two holes center to center.  Biggest difference is something like .268 to .288.

I don't know how much shorter it was than it supposed to be, and I don't know if they just measured it or put it in another frame.  I had offered to send the entire frame in to them, but they told me that would not be necessary.  I can only guess they measured hole to hole on the broken link.  I am guessing they just grabbed the wrong one when they originally built the gun.  I guess we will have to wait a year or so to see if this stays good.

So, are you shooting it Sunday @ Somerset?

Don't know Bob, I registered for SSP.  The old MD got pissed at me when I changed the Division I was shooting in.  The new MD just gets pissed at me all the time :)