Jfoster99

Ruger LCR in 38 Spl +P or .357 Magnum

I am thinking about treating myself for my Birthday to a new CCW carry gun.

The 5 shot Ruger LCR is calling out to me. Price aside does it make sense to go with the .357? It only weighs like 3oz extra.

Am I kidding myself thinking I could tame a .357 magnum for CCW? Does a mix load make tactical sense? If so what? Having a magnum as your last shot seems like a good idea. No need to worry about a follow up shot.

I like the idea of being able to have your hand on the gun and fire through your jacket pocket should the need arise.

If not this gun then a Glock 43 9mm is next in line but that is a different topic altogether.

257c5264bbee654ffdc17d81417d5c0b.jpg

I have a LCR 38+P that I carry almost every day and I love it. At one time or another I've carried a Glock 26, Sig 239, and Kahr PM9. The LCR is by far the lightest, most comfortable to carry, and easiest to conceal.

The down side is the reduced round capacity and when shooting +P loads she's snotty little bitch (not unmanageable but defiantly not a target gun). I imagine a 357 would only be worse. 

I would buy the magnum for the extra weight and carry what I do now in J frames, a factory target wadcutters or semi wadcutters. Bullet is already in an efficient shape and is easy on you and your gun. +P 38s and magnums really don't offer a lot more in a short barrel and give a lot more muzzle blast and recoil. Muzzle blast really bothers most people more than recoil. Using what I suggest will give you easier recovery and better accuracy.

If it is for HD only I'd say the 38sp but from what I've read about what others carry, and why, the 357 seems to be the usual choice when a revolver is the preferred weapon.  Basically, many of the folks that ccw magnum revolvers typically load magnum rounds when they are out and about and then change the load to a 38sp or +p load when the gun is re-tasked for HD.  The reasoning behind switching to 38sp loads for indoors use has to do with over penetration.  While you want the extra power and longer point blank range outside, the extra power can be a problem for some indoors.  The best way to find out if 357 (or any other firearm) is for you is to try before you buy.  A friend with a 357 would be ideal but renting is a good plan B.

As Griz said, get the .357 one with slightly more weight and thereby a little more beefy.  It has added weight for control and overall more versatility.  Depending on your needs, you may want the LCRX version with the 3" barrel.  This is what I would get.  Or, possibly the one in 9mm.  That would be relatively a little more snappy than the .38 version, though. 

Would anyone suggest looking at the S&W 442 or Scandium 340PD(11.4oz .357Mag) or ?? Not so much concerned with price as i am getting the best possible CCW revolver.. Carried often, shot mostly just to maintain proficiency.

I would suggest looking at the Scandium revolver if you were interested in hurting your hand with each shot. Shooting one with the standard grips is painful even with factory wadcutters. The 442 is popular as the alloy frame keeps cost down. IMO the best j frame size revolvers there are are the S&W 640 or the Ruger SP101. The 640 I'd 24 oz and I've carried it on the belt or in an ankle holster without distress. I could feel if it was there. Those who carry a gun they "don't know it's there" can lose that gun without knowing it. That carried a lot shot little is a strange philosphy. If I might wind up defending my life with a gun that is not the absolute best for the job I want everything in my favor I can put there. Controllablity and accuracy are at the top.

I never could understand all these big strong he men who found carrying a 24 oz gun a a burden.

Posted Image It's my new cary gun, love this thing. Totally worth the $$$. Let me know if you want to shoot it Jeff.

Very Sweet Piece.... Can you share how much $$?

When i was looking into them there was like a year wait for a NIB unit and secondary market prices were jacked up.. Does that funky reverse chambering / rotating bolt really help the recoil?

I'm trying to head up to Cherry Hill Sunday morning if you are around...

I would suggest looking at the Scandium revolver if you were interested in hurting your hand with each shot. Shooting one with the standard grips is painful even with factory wadcutters. The 442 is popular as the alloy frame keeps cost down. IMO the best j frame size revolvers there are are the S&W 640 or the Ruger SP101. The 640 I'd 24 oz and I've carried it on the belt or in an ankle holster without distress. I could feel if it was there. Those who carry a gun they "don't know it's there" can lose that gun without knowing it. That carried a lot shot little is a strange philosphy. If I might wind up defending my life with a gun that is not the absolute best for the job I want everything in my favor I can put there. Controllablity and accuracy are at the top.

I never could understand all these big strong he men who found carrying a 24 oz gun a a burden.

Or the ones that can't handle a lightweight one that will hurt their hand. :facepalm:

Very Sweet Piece.... Can you share how much $$?

When i was looking into them there was like a year wait for a NIB unit and secondary market prices were jacked up.. Does that funky reverse chambering / rotating bolt really help the recoil?

I'm trying to head up to Cherry Hill Sunday morning if you are around...

Right around $1K from Oakridge Firearms.

Very surprised how it feels for a pocket pistol. feels like shooting a full framed gun. The double action trigger is the smoothest I've ever felt. The overall quality of the gun is superb. The only weird thing to me I'm getting used to, is loading the magazines. The rounds go in backwards, but that's really forwards.

I may head up to CR Sunday to do my orentation.

I would go with the 357 in the lcr.OH that's right I did.  the 357 loads are manageable the grip on the gun soaks up a lot of the recoil . my wife even shoots the 357 loads.

if you would like to shoot it let me know Bob