Sign in to follow this  
Midwest

Unique Historic Color Video Shows Berlin in July 1945

Unique Historic Color Video Shows Berlin in July 1945

From the ground and from the air, here is rare historic color film of Berlin shot two months after it fell in 1945. Some of this footage has never been seen before, it runs about 7 minutes.

http://rt.com/news/255613-berlin-ww2-aftermath-video/

"The footage, some of which had never previously been published, has an almost apocalyptic feel, as the residents of Berlin walk around the streets, despite the debris everywhere to be seen. Trams are already running through Alexanderplatz as a mix of soldiers and civilians try to get from A to B.

Towards the end of the video, aerial footage shows the sheer destruction of the Unter den Linden Boulevard, leading away from the Brandenburg Gate. Buildings and blocks of flats were razed, while rubble and burnt out cars littered the surrounding area."

516655452.jpg

Yeah, that was a great video.   It's also sobering when you realize that we're watching ghosts walking through a ruin.   Even that young 8 or so year old girl is probably dead of old age.   That place was really bombed out though, I can't imagine what it was like being there during the various air raids and when then troops got there and started blasting it to rubble.

Yeah, that was a great video.   It's also sobering when you realize that we're watching ghosts walking through a ruin.   Even that young 8 or so year old girl is probably dead of old age.   That place was really bombed out though, I can't imagine what it was like being there during the various air raids and when then troops got there and started blasting it to rubble.

Yeah, that occurred to me as well. Ghosts.    My father was 20 when that was shot.  He's 89 now.  WWII USMC.  And still pissed that he didn't buy his M1 Carbine for $80 when he was discharged.