High Exposure

Congressmen Proposes Allowing CMP to Sell 1911s

I hope this goes through. Makes my heart soar like an eagle.

http://www.wvtm13.com/news/Rogers-proposes-CMP-take-control-of-old-Army-pistols/32720294

ANNISTON, Ala. —An east Alabama congressman has a plan to save taxpayers money when it comes to storing vintage firearms for the Army.

The plan involves moving the weapons to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, which includes its facility in Anniston.

Congressman Rogers says it's a win-win because the pistols are placed in very capable hands at the Civilian Marksmanship Program and it also saves taxpayers roughly $200,000 per year.

he M1911A1 pistol was once the standard sidearm for U.S. armed forces. Rogers says a little over 8,000 of the 100,000 pistols were sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price. The rest are in storage.

The CMP will inspect, grade, and prepare the pistols to be sold. It will also reimburse the Army for any costs associated with moving the firearms.

Congressman Rogers announced the plan after the passage of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016. It's part of the House Armed Services Committee.

"This is an issue that a lot of people didn't know about," Rogers points out. "I'm sure a lot of collectors around the country are going to be happy that these are going to be available to them."

The chief operating officer of the Civilian Marksmanship Program in Anniston tells WVTM 13 in order to buy a pistol, you must meet four requirements. You must be a U.S. citizen, have proof of membership to a CMP club, have marksmanship safety training, and successfully pass a background check.

From Congressman Rogers website

(WASHINGTON, D.C.)—Congressman Mike Rogers made the following remarks after passage of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2016 out of the House Armed Services Committee (HASC), which included his amendment to allow the Army to transfer its surplus vintage firearms to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).

“As a gun owner and strong believer in the Second Amendment, my proposal is a common-sense approach to eliminating an unnecessary cost to the Federal government while allowing the very capable CMP to handle the sale of these vintage firearms that otherwise would just sit in storage. This amendment is a win – win for the taxpayer. I was pleased the amendment passed the committee and appreciate the support my colleagues on this proposal,” Rogers said.

Currently, the Army stores excess M1911A1 pistols, which used to be the standard U.S. Armed Forces sidearm, until it was replace by the Berretta 9mm pistol. Besides the 8,300 pistols that have been sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price, the rest of the M1911A1 pistols are now being held in storage costing the taxpayer around $200,000 a year.

Transferring these vintage pistols to the CMP would allow them to inspect, grade, prepare for sale and sell these pistols. The CMP would reimburse the Army for costs associated with transferring the pistols. CMP South, headquartered in Anniston, Alabama, oversees sales. CMP North is headquartered in Camp Perry, Ohio.

The NDAA is expected to come to the House Floor in May.

This would require a change to CMPs charter as currently the only firearms they can sell are rifles. That should be easy if Republicans stick together. Getting Obamanocchio to sign it is another story. I wouldn't expect any bargains with these guns as a nothing special GI 1911A1 in decent shape easily goes for over $1000. Be good to them out in public though.

Err .. I'm not sure I want shot out lose 1911's with A1 sights.

I will admit I've seen my share of loose 1911s over the 25 years they were in use during my association with the Army most were serviceable and some were really nice. Most 1911s were rebuilt during WWII. I remember my National Guard unit getting some arsenal rebuilds in the 80s as replacements for junky guns. These were still in the wrap from the rebuild in the 40s. Surprised there were still some around after the thousands left in Vietnam and other places around the world. These would be collector guns costing at least a couple of thousand dollars. A couple of thousand dollars buys a pretty nice commercial 1911 for shooting.

Err .. I'm not sure I want shot out lose 1911's with A1 sights.

If it shakes, it shoots.

They are still pretty accurate because of the collet bushing. I'm hoping that the CMP would sell them a bit under market value (sub 2k+). Personally, I see the attraction, and I am already sold. IMHO the issued 1911s are one of the most (if not the most) iconic American firearms. If you don't pick up a Garand and get a smirk on your face, then they may not be for you.

Buy > Shoot a bit > Grope a lot.

If it shakes, it shoots.

They are still pretty accurate because of the collet bushing. I'm hoping that the CMP would sell them a bit under market value (sub 2k+). Personally, I see the attraction, and I am already sold. IMHO the issued 1911s are one of the most (if not the most) iconic American firearms. If you don't pick up a Garand and get a smirk on your face, then they may not be for you.

Buy > Shoot a bit > Grope a lot.

No GI 1911 used a collet bushing. They all used a std barrel bushing.

My dad owns a collet bushing Series '701911. It has issues with an aftermarket barrel, but the OE barrel is good to go. I would like to replace the bushing with a solid one because it isn't replaceable and has been shot a lot

I would be all over a USGI 1911 for the right price. Under $1000 or so.

Hey Griz - They only made the collet bushing a few years, correct?  And it was a failure?

BTW I own one.

Yes the collet bushing was only made for a few years -- Just remember that when removing the collet barrel bushing to slide the slide back off full lock up -- Don't try and twist the collet bushing while the action is in full battery -- The collet is designed to be pretty tight while the action is locked up supposedly tightening up the groups --  Damage may occur while attempting to remove a collet barrel bushing without 1st going into a partial slide lock position where the collet is much looser 

It would be cool if these came to market.

What's disturbing is: were paying $200K storage annually since the 1980s when they started using the M9's. We the taxpayers paid for them initially, now the government wants to sell them back to us? We're the suckers here... they should give them to us!

I will admit I've seen my share of loose 1911s over the 25 years they were in use during my association with the Army most were serviceable and some were really nice. Most 1911s were rebuilt during WWII. I remember my National Guard unit getting some arsenal rebuilds in the 80s as replacements for junky guns. These were still in the wrap from the rebuild in the 40s. Surprised there were still some around after the thousands left in Vietnam and other places around the world. These would be collector guns costing at least a couple of thousand dollars. A couple of thousand dollars buys a pretty nice commercial 1911 for shooting.

I wouldn't pay more than $300-$400 for any 1911A1 that I handled on active duty. We were all glad to get the M9, at least they were accurate and didn't rattle. I love the 1911, just not the broken down ones that I shot on active duty.