Sign in to follow this  
I lost my gat piece

How much should I pay for this AR

Hey everyone. I would really appreciate a little help with this. I've been looking to get another AR and my friend said he was planning on just trading this one in to the gun store when he picks up a new gun he ordered. He told me to throw out a number to him (which i hate). I wish he would just tell me how much he wants. He also said he got a a great deal on the gun and he wants to pass that on to me. A couple details that aren't listed in the specs in the picture- It's a DI gun. It does not come with an optic and I'm not sure it will even come with the sights that are on it now so lets assume no sights and no optic. It has about 500 rounds through it according to him. It is 100% NJ compliant. I don't think think it comes with any magazines so lets assume that. What would be a very good deal for me to offer to pay for this without insulting my friend knowing that he said he wants to give me a great deal on it. Thanks!

post-4439-0-95678900-1430935634_thumb.png

Yes, you can buy a new one for $600 (or a bit above)..  But it will be a base model M&P15 or something.  Adding on all the different parts that the one he described seems to have, it wouldn't cost anywhere near $600.  It all depends on how much you trust this guy..

Im thinking it's gun shop value is around $400 bucks . I'd pass on it I think you can find a better gun elsewhere but if your heart is set on it offer $500 if he declines walk away.

And find one for $200 more that is probably way better.

With a chrome lined, hammer forged barrel, Colt BCG (melonite?), and mil spec trigger(?), this gun is nothjng special.  You can build something of comparable quality jn the $550 to $750 range.

Offer $500?

Eric

Seems like every used gun for sale has 500 rounds through it. Hahaha

I wouldn't buy it...

the guns I sell have thousands of rounds through them, are drug through the mud, rarely cleaned, and stored in old raggedy blankets (and may come equipped with at least one spray painted part).. 

have yet to have a complaint.. lol 

So many people think that every AR should cost $500-750. Sure you can build or buy one in that range, but you have to look at the sum of an AR's parts to determine value. If those parts are not important to you, then yea, a 500-750 AR may be your cup of tea. Just like anything else... everyone loves to use the car example. I can buy a Subaru WRX for $29K or a STi for $37K. Both cars drive great and are high quality. Are the aesthetics, parts, and improved specs from the WRX to the STi in my mind justified? Same applies to the $~500 AR versus a $~1500 AR.

Take a look at the rifle in question above. Vltor forged upper $170, Mega forged lower $125, CHF barrel $240, battlecomp $150, diamondhead rail $170, magpul furniture $75, Colt BCG $120, diamondhead aluminum front and rear sights $200, lower build kit with tube $90. I tried to err on the lower side with these prices, but you are looking at a ~$1300 rifle here to build new.

If you really like the parts list compared to what you can build for $400-750, it may be worth taking a swing at it. There is no way you can build a clone of this rifle for that price range. That being said, it seems a 50% discount is a good starting point at $650. Depending on how much you want the rifle, a ~40% discount over retail new at $750 seems fair. Personally I wouldn't go higher then that since as many said, there's a lot of AR's floating around out there after the panic buys of the past few years. Also , after getting above the $750-800 mark, it would be more fun to just start buying the parts you want and slowly amassing them over time to make it affordable. You would end up with a new rifle, have fun with the building experience, fun with the research, and have exactly what you want in parts over someone else's decisions.

So many people think that every AR should cost $500-750. Sure you can build or buy one in that range, but you have to look at the sum of an AR's parts to determine value. If those parts are not important to you, then yea, a 500-750 AR may be your cup of tea. Just like anything else... everyone loves to use the car example. I can buy a Subaru WRX for $29K or a STi for $37K. Both cars drive great and are high quality. Are the aesthetics, parts, and improved specs from the WRX to the STi in my mind justified? Same applies to the $~500 AR versus a $~1500 AR.

Take a look at the rifle in question above. Vltor forged upper $170, Mega forged lower $125, CHF barrel $240, battlecomp $150, diamondhead rail $170, magpul furniture $75, Colt BCG $120, diamondhead aluminum front and rear sights $200, lower build kit with tube $90. I tried to err on the lower side with these prices, but you are looking at a ~$1300 rifle here to build new.

If you really like the parts list compared to what you can build for $400-750, it may be worth taking a swing at it. There is no way you can build a clone of this rifle for that price range. That being said, it seems a 50% discount is a good starting point at $650. Depending on how much you want the rifle, a ~40% discount over retail new at $750 seems fair. Personally I wouldn't go higher then that since as many said, there's a lot of AR's floating around out there after the panic buys of the past few years. Also , after getting above the $750-800 mark, it would be more fun to just start buying the parts you want and slowly amassing them over time to make it affordable. You would end up with a new rifle, have fun with the building experience, fun with the research, and have exactly what you want in parts over someone else's decisions.

Wtih all due respect, I think you missed the point a lil...

Using my post as an example, I mentioned that you can build something of comparable quality for $550 to $750.  I agree taht an exact clone is going to cost more but my point was that you can buy similar parts, of similar quality level, for far less.

For example, instead of an Vltor upper and Mega lower, you can buy a blem Aero lower for $55 and a blem BCM upper for $70ish. Even a non blem lower from Aero can be around $85 and is as good as any lower around.  CHF for $240?  Too much.  a CHF barrel is not anything special.  For $240 you can almost buy a stainless, cut rifled barrel from White Oak (with a Wylde chamber).

Eric

Wtih all due respect, I think you missed the point a lil...

Using my post as an example, I mentioned that you can build something of comparable quality for $550 to $750.  I agree taht an exact clone is going to cost more but my point was that you can buy similar parts, of similar quality level, for far less.

For example, instead of an Vltor upper and Mega lower, you can buy a blem Aero lower for $55 and a blem BCM upper for $70ish. Even a non blem lower from Aero can be around $85 and is as good as any lower around.  CHF for $240?  Too much.  a CHF barrel is not anything special.  For $240 you can almost buy a stainless, cut rifled barrel from White Oak (with a Wylde chamber).

Eric

I see what you are saying, and the debate on which brand or type of part is better or comparable quality versus value is a discussion that can go on until the sun burns out.  It still doesn't help the OP understand what he should offer his friend for the rifle. I'm not going to comment on the parts you list as I want to avoid that rat hole.

My whole point was that the OP was looking for a fair price to offer his friend , and the only way to do that is to add up the parts the rifle is made from to get an understanding on where to start. If he is not interested in the fancy parts or name brands, then he has the option to walk away and look for something else like building a new a rifle as you suggest as an option.

I based the CHF barrel off of PSA and BCM's FN CHF barrels which run around that price. Again, are they worth the money over a custom stainless solution? I'm not going to debate that either. :)

Dan hit the nail on the head. And it's worth it to me to not go around buying all sorts of blemished seconds to throw together to save a few bucks like Eric is calling for. I decided to go ahead with getting the gun for $700 that we ended up agreeing upon. Thanks everyone who had valid contributions especially Dan.