mikeyjones

What to get as investment?

IMO, the only guns that appreciate are machine guns, rare collectible pieces, and high-end O/U shotguns.  In general, I consider guns to be similar to wrenches.  They're a tool designed to serve a purpose and through normal use, will pick up character/wear. 

I dont know what you have but on gun-broker yo can always make more than 1% on your investment providing that you don't overpay

HK P7

SW Model 29

SW Model 66

Lugers in good condition

Colt Python

IMO, the only guns that appreciate are machine guns, rare collectible pieces, and high-end O/U shotguns.  In general, I consider guns to be similar to wrenches.  They're a tool designed to serve a purpose and through normal use, will pick up character/wear. 

I dont know what you have but on gun-broker yo can always make more than 1% on your investment providing that you don't overpay

HK P7

SW Model 29

SW Model 66

Lugers in good condition

Colt Python

Colt Pythons have done well.   

Colt Pythons were at the top of my list.  Have to find one locally because I'm afraid I won't be able to get one shipped before my permit expires (already renewed).

I've thought about Class III items but there's no simple way to own them as a NJ resident so that idea has been put on the back burner...

Short Term = AR15 lower receivers and bolt carrier groups. It's an election year and if History repeats itself panic buying will make prices sky rocket again. Especially if a certain female democrat wins. Last panic it seemed bolt carrier groups and lowers were over $200 each.

Any suggestions on ETF's?

This is like asking "what gun should I get" or "what car should I purchase" without clarifying what your needs are.

If this is money you are comfortable losing or taking some risk with I would say look at an ETF that shorts the market. In english that means you think market is going down. You/ETF sell shares you don't own at what you believe is a high price ($50). Once shares go low enough you buy shares back / cover your short position at lower price ($30) You keep the $20 difference between the higher price and lower price in above example. If market continues going up and you cover at higher price you lose the difference.

Eventually government has to start raising interest rates. Many think it will be soon. Once that occurs stocks will take a hit for a number of reasons. How big of a hit depends on how big of a rate hike and how quickly they raise / continue raising it.

This is like asking "what gun should I get" or "what car should I purchase" without clarifying what your needs are.

If this is money you are comfortable losing or taking some risk with I would say look at an ETF that shorts the market. In english that means you think market is going down. You/ETF sell shares you don't own at what you believe is a high price ($50). Once shares go low enough you buy shares back / cover your short position at lower price ($30) You keep the $20 difference between the higher price and lower price in above example. If market continues going up and you cover at higher price you lose the difference.

Eventually government has to start raising interest rates. Many think it will be soon. Once that occurs stocks will take a hit for a number of reasons. How big of a hit depends on how big of a rate hike and how quickly they raise / continue raising it.

Well that is the gambling approach to investing.  It might be a short-term tactic but not a long-term strategy.  You don't get rich betting against the US economy.  Things like the DOW, S&P, Russell will all be higher at some point in the future.  A better strategy is to invest a constant number of dollars in a fund every month.  Its called dollar cost averaging, and you will be a big winner in the long run.  If prices drop in the interim you will be buying more shares for your dollars.  I hear the track can be a nice place to go if you want to gamble and try your luck :)

Colt Pythons have done well.

Anyone who owned a Python before The Walking Dead started can sell it for a profit. Anyone who buys one now will probably lose money if they hold onto it for more than a year after the show ends.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

1.WW1- WW2 Lugers especially artillery, police, and black widows. They need to be all matching and good condition. If they have at least one matching mag that's a big plus.

2. WW2 or before Walther PPK or PP

3.WW2 FN Hi power regular or tangent sight

4. WW2 P38 very early or very late models

5. Polish Radom Prewar- early war and very late war

6.Femaru Mod 37m .32acp with 1 or 2 matching mags

7. Broomhandle Mauser

8. WW1-WW2 1911 or 1911a1 pistol

9. Papered Vietnam bringback pistols like TT33

10. WW2 TT33 or TT30

11. Mauser 1934 model military marked pistol

Well that is the gambling approach to investing.  

I'm not sure there is anything else left but that is a thread drift. 

I personally would not invest in handguns. For every handgun that seems rare and might appreciate, there 10 that look rare that don't. 

I dunno that I would throw into the market either, at historic highs. Maybe look for something undervalued that took a hit in recent years and bet it will go up, thats the more classic investment scenario instead of shorting. 

Well that is the gambling approach to investing. It might be a short-term tactic but not a long-term strategy. You don't get rich betting against the US economy. Things like the DOW, S&P, Russell will all be higher at some point in the future. A better strategy is to invest a constant number of dollars in a fund every month. Its called dollar cost averaging, and you will be a big winner in the long run. If prices drop in the interim you will be buying more shares for your dollars. I hear the track can be a nice place to go if you want to gamble and try your luck :)

Yes, I agree. I'm assuming mikeyjones already is DCAs, is already diversified and is simply looking for something exciting to play around with.

Personally I wouldn't buy a firearm as an investment. I like to shoot guns, not just look at them.

Right now the Pythons are at all time high. The Walking Dead fueled that rise. May still go up but it's a risk. The only gun I own that would make a profit is a Hi-power. Had Ted Yost work on it about 10 years ago. I have under $2,500 in it. The same package is selling on Gunbroker for $4,500.

Just to provide a little more color on my reasons:

Because of what I do for a living, I have regulations at work as to how I can invest in the market.  I have a 30 day holding period for any publicly traded instrument.  My view on the market is that it's currently overpriced and I'd like to short it. However, because of the holding period I'm weary of shorting because if I'm wrong or my timing is off, I can't get out easily and could be forced to hold losses against myself until the period is up. 

Therefore, I'd like to sell off some of my investments and put that cash into something that will beat inflation.  

I was just looking into new ones and i always like to find new ETF's to research and read about.

That s all.

I do undstand your analogy with the guns and cars though.

Just to provide a little more color on my reasons:

Because of what I do for a living, I have regulations at work as to how I can invest in the market.  I have a 30 day holding period for any publicly traded instrument.  My view on the market is that it's currently overpriced and I'd like to short it. However, because of the holding period I'm weary of shorting because if I'm wrong or my timing is off, I can't get out easily and could be forced to hold losses against myself until the period is up. 

Therefore, I'd like to sell off some of my investments and put that cash into something that will beat inflation.  

Well I'd say investing in guns and ammo is like shorting social stability, not the market.

But I think betting that it will beat inflation is a risky proposition. 

If your place of employment has a 30 day rule, they should also offer a 401k plan , 529 or IRA option to invest in. If you goal is to just hedge your existing investments, look at some of the precious metal funds they participate in. This will offer some inflation risk offset if you think that's where we're headed.     this is not advice , just an opinion.

So I have a handgun permit to burn in the next week.  I'm thinking about buying something that will give me better than 1% return (or at least not depreciate).  

What would be some good choices?

I would not count on guns as investments. Sure there are lots of guns that give 10% per year. Lots of them don't. Think about it. You buy it for $1500 and sell it 10 years later for $3,000. Is that going to make a difference in your life, assuming that is that you will part with it?

If your place of employment has a 30 day rule, they should also offer a 401k plan , 529 or IRA option to invest in. If you goal is to just hedge your existing investments, look at some of the precious metal funds they participate in. This will offer some inflation risk offset if you think that's where we're headed. this is not advice , just an opinion.

I'm already involved in all of those and max out my options. Again, I'm well aware of what's available, just looking for some alternative options.