Potts

NJ Resident Getting a Concealed Carry Permit in PA

I figured it was worth asking...  I was hoping since I own a property there that might give me a leg to stand on.  I don't however have an ID with that address as my current address anymore.  They really ought to have some type of exception for NJ residents.  I love going to Philly, but it's not the safest city and if I had the option to be protected when there I would surely chose it.  My rental property is in a nice enough area, but it's still got it share of crime.  There were two shooting deaths within blocks of my house within the five years I lived there, and many more gun point robberies.

If anyone has been able to pull this off, legally, I would love to hear about it.  I still get mail addressed to me at that address if that matters at all as well.

Here's what you need to get a PA Driver's License:  http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub195us.pdf

Tax records and mortgage documents should suffice to establish PA residency for the Driver's License.  You could also show utility bills.  Then you can take it from there as far as the CC permit is concerned.

FYI - I got my Texas CCW on the way home from a trip to Las Vegas. I arraigned to have a connecting flight thru Houston, TX with a 12 hour layover. I found a great instructor. He picked me up at the airport, took me to get fingerprints then we had lunch at a BBQ joint and setup shop for a few hour in the back booth to review class room material. A quick trip to the range and then he dropped me off back at the airport. If anyone is interested I can send you his info... No Hotel or car rental was needed... If you plan it right you can arrange for a stop over in Houston on your next West Coast trip. Very little extra cash... Just add 12 hours to your travel time.

I believe TX renewals can be done via mail now? Does anyone know for sure?

How did you manage to get a 12 hour layover? I'm going to Arizona on June 5th and on the return trip I have a 55 minute layover in Houston. I imagine I could still change the return flight.

This sounds so awesome.

Edit: just checked, I can change my flight to give me a 5 hour layover. Do you think that would be enough time?

Has anyone been successful in doing this?  If so, how???

As a resident of NJ, you can obtain a FLORIDA CCW permit.  PA & FL have full reciprocity.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Eligibility-Requirements

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

i thought that the criminal ag over there in pa rescinded the reciprocity with florida non-resident permits?

I agree that gun rights are ALWAYS under attack and we ALL need to fight them as we ALL have a stake in the game. However, PA has (almost) 50% gun ownership and the most conceal carry permits issued in the USA aside from Florida---yes, even more than Texas. We have not lost any reciprocity states and actually gained a few more due to resident permits being honored. Women are applying for LTCF in record numbers and there are pro gun bill after Bill being presented---even though Wolf is anti gun at least the pressure is on!

More and more of the FUDDS are changing their LTCF from "hunting" to "self defense" and pistol sales are rising along with the Licenses. 

But I agree, we all need to fight this together because if one state falls they all fall. Also, I'm from NJ and hope to NEVER end up like that state again but I fear and have concern on my many friends that live there. They are pro gun and can't carry in PA so I have a "game" in the fight.

BTW, I think Kane will be tied up with TOO much legal crap to mess with reciprocity and hopefully come Nov 2016 she'll be voted out---with 26% approval it looks like she will be replaced with a conservative that SHOULD undo her damage.

In the meantime, is your safety worth the $300 to travel to Texas? I flew Spirit for $100, stayed at a nice hotel for $100 a night....make it into a vacation, get your carry and bring your firearm. To me it would be well worth it!

I may disagree with your statement about PA having more concealed carry permits than Texas. Please post numbers. Texas as of last month had over 860,000 CHL's.  Please come to Texas and get your CHL. It is not that hard and you can get it done in a day. Most places here in San Antonio have classes every Saturday.

Pa has over a million permits now, and with probably only half the total population of texas that's impressive. Pa has got to be at or near the top for ccw's per capita. Once the ag is gone PA will probably only get better.

Sorry, Don't know how to post a link properly, but you can copy and paste from here.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/apr/15/jeb-bush/which-state-most-gun-permits/

Percentage of adult population with permits by state

South Dakota leads with 12.3%

Pennsylvania is 8.67%

Most permits per state

Florida leads with 1,278,246

Pennsylvania 872,277

Source

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Concealed-Carry-Permit-Holders-Across-the-United-States.pdf

Unfortunately the information is a bit dated......

I'm seriously considering doing a day or weekend trip to tx

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Members weekend. Would be a fun trip for a group and I'm sure we can find a place to hold a class for us. I just keep being hopeful the PA ag gets the boot or laws passed for any permit being good in PA.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm seriously considering doing a day or weekend trip to tx

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We should do an official NJGF Texas 3 day weekend trip. Maybe we can get a group rate for travel, lodging, car service, and CHL class. I would definitely be in! Anyone have the time to research and possibly plan it? Maybe start a thread with a poll for potential dates?

Correct they dumped that a while back with their new AG.

you mean their criminal ag, don'tcha? i seem to recall her also dumping an investigation that was gonna nail a lot of people.....mostly dumbocrats.....and dumping all the evidence gathered over the years of that investigation.

I may disagree with your statement about PA having more concealed carry permits than Texas. Please post numbers. Texas as of last month had over 860,000 CHL's.  Please come to Texas and get your CHL. It is not that hard and you can get it done in a day. Most places here in San Antonio have classes every Saturday.

any reputable places offer those classes on sunday? can the permit process even be completed on a sunday down there?

any reputable places offer those classes on sunday? can the permit process even be completed on a sunday down there?

Check the link above. That $49 class is every Sunday it looks like. Fly in on a Saturday and enjoy the day. Class looks to be 8am to 12pm and then range time till about 2pm so fly out later.

Check the link above. That $49 class is every Sunday it looks like. Fly in on a Saturday and enjoy the day. Class looks to be 8am to 12pm and then range time till about 2pm so fly out later.

yea, i saw that link after i posted. i'm trying to figure a way to do it without losing time at the shop.....sat evening fly out, sun evening fly back would work perfect.  and this seems like a perfect way to tell the criminal ag over there where to get off. :)

yea, i saw that link after i posted. i'm trying to figure a way to do it without losing time at the shop.....sat evening fly out, sun evening fly back would work perfect. and this seems like a perfect way to tell the criminal ag over there where to get off. :)

I would be interested in taking the trip if we wanted to set up a small group. Know how things have been lately though who's to say by the time we get the permits back the PA ag doesn't kill Texas permits on us? I got my Utah 3 days or so after she killed off Utah. Not cool.

If we could figure out how to get fingerprinted ahead of time this would work.  Otherwise we need Saturday appointments for prints in Texas, Late Saturday/Sunday class, and fly out late.  I think it is possible but logistics are tough. 

The instructor I used is Jason Page, for $100 he will pick u up at the airport, take you for prints at TX authorized location, teach class, take to range for live fire and drop off back at airport in under 12 hours. Great for an extended Layover.

He also has a steer ranch outside Houstin for an extended stay with open space to shoot all day ? Great for a weekend group trip. Bring the whole arsenal down or use his...he has lots of toys.. Not to mention you get a designated driver for a Saturday night excursion to the local watering hole? I think he said $200 would cover lodging transport and class ( 3-4 guy minimum) but check with him...

"Junior" is flying down Monday for the same day in and out package. Hopefully he will report back his experience was as positive as mine.

As for doing this on a Sunday it all depends if the finger print facility is open. That is the key with doing this... You need to reserve a finger print time at the location nearest the airport (Kennedy Street?) about 1 hour after you plane lands for this to all work out. The rest Jason will ensure to get done in time to get you back to make you flight..

As per 2012:

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Concealed-Carry-Permit-Holders-Across-the-United-States.pdf

Politifact from 2011:

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/apr/15/jeb-bush/which-state-most-gun-permits/

2012---with links to stats:

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

I stand corrected.

I would like to know who the 32000 CCW holders are in NJ. That number cannot be correct.