Sign in to follow this  
Redstachio

PA to NJ Long Rifle Gift Transfer

Been searching for info on out-of-state long gun transfers that don't involve money being exchanged..

I have my FID card. My father is a PA resident and has three NJ compliant long guns he wants to gift me. I'm hearing mixed thoughts on this and other forums regarding whether or not I need to go through an FFL to legally obtain them. Should the NJ FFL route be required, do the guns need to be driven to FFL in NJ or shipped? 

Thanks in advance. I know this is somewhat a popular topic so I appreciate the help. 

The transfers between residents of different states must go through a dealer. In your case, a dealer in either state will suffice.

And you can ship or bring in person but I would think in person would be easier. Go visit your dad and take a trip to the local gun shop. I don't want to read about him in the paper because he didn't understand NJ laws when he was on his way to meet you with the guns in NJ. Transfers are cheaper in PA anyway. I really good FFL would do all three guns for $20. I have at least one near me like that.

Assuming you used to live with your Dad in PA at some point in your life, are you sure he didn't give them to you then? I mean, maybe they are already yours...

No, I have never resided there or anywhere else in PA.

I'm more interested in doing the right thing according to NJ law, even if it's a pain in the ass vs taking my chances by just picking them up and playing dumb. 

Also, what difference would it make whether I was with him or not while driving to NJ FFL if they're technically not mine?

Ok, one more thing and I'll be done...

He revealed to me that he knows an FFL in Jersey right across the Del River from him that can help us out...let's say I meet him and drive to Jersey with the long guns, without any ammo. Do they need to be in individual cases, or can they be locked in the truck as is? Thanks again for everyone's help. 

No cases needed per law. Locked trunk is fine. Wrap them in a bed sheet if you want, ie "vladtepes special".

Pulled over in a "sports sedan" (bad choice) with uncovered rifles being managed/held upright by the guy in the back seat. The other back seat and the floor had split logs and giant laundry detergent bottles.

"What's with all the firewood and laundry detergent? You boys making a bomb or a still?"

:D

;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Sig
      Hello everyone, brand new to the board so let me know if I'm in the right subforum or if I can have this better answered elsewhere. pagunforums.com anyone? lol
      Can anyone recommend an FFL in Pennsylvania that will pin weld breaks, pin stocks, and also accept transfers. I live in North Jersey so anything in North PA with low FFL and gunsmithing fees are preferable. I am running into problems with a shop refusing to send complete AR 15s to NJ FFLs. Any help is appreciated.
    • By SIGMan Freud
      Hey all. The last time I bought handguns, the internet was in it's infancy. You learned about new handguns from magazines and catalogues and you had to shop around different dealers for stock or have them order something for out of stock items.

Fast forward to 2016 and everything imaginable is available online, including in-stock inventory. I imagine a good part of any FFL's business is transfers. So let me ask you this - if I'm looking for a particular model that is not in stock locally, is there any advantage to having the shop order directly from the manufacturer vs. buying from a big online site and just doing a transfer?

I checked with two LGS authorized dealers and was told they didn't have the gun in stock but could get the model I was looking for in a week or so, but would have to be paid in full at time of order. The online dealers have multiple quantities in stock, and obviously would require full payment before shipping to the FFL. Either way, I'm kinda buying sight-unseen, which is OK given the circumstances.

So is it six-of-one, half-dozen of another? I would like to support the local guys as much as possible (I image they make more on a direct sale with markup than with a transfer). Just curious if there's any advantage one way or the other? Thanks.
    • By kwadz
      I’m very confused about an incident that happened last night.  A friend's mom is a FL resident while he has lived in NJ for the past 15 years.  Sometime over the past 3 years, she gave him one of her shotguns.  However, they did it all off paper, because he didn’t know the laws regarding interstate transfers.  He does have an FID card, so he is somewhat familiar with the laws here.  That being said, he wants to be in total compliance in case he needs to use it for self defense, so that he doesn’t then get charged with illegal possession. 

I told him the proper procedure is to go with his mom to an FFL and perform the transfer there, with COE forms and NICS check, since his mom is out of state and cannot transfer him a long gun without going to an FFL.  He called RayCo in Merchantville yesterday, since his mom is up visiting, and they told him that he doesn’t need to do it at an FFL and all they have to do is fill out a COE form.  I had two blank copies already printed out from when I went to the Armory this past weekend (just in case I found something good) so he stopped down last night to get them.  The section for “seller” states nothing about the seller needing to be a NJ resident.  The section for “buyer” clearly states that the buyer must be a resident of NJ, otherwise the transfer needs to take place at an FFL.

Am I misinformed about the law?  Can a NJ resident purchase a long gun from an out of state resident in a private transfer with just a COE form and without needing to use an FFL/NICS? 

Even more concerning is that if I am right about the fact that all interstate transfers have to go through FFL/NICS, RayCo gave him the wrong information and he could get into some serious trouble, legally, because of it.