Barms

Grill cover only lasts like 3 years. WTF?

I buy official Weber grill cover...and I even keep it in the shed all winter. By the 3rd year the edges start to crack. It's like they just dry up over time, By the time this summer is over it will definitely leak. What brand do you guys have that has gone over 5 years?

I buy official Weber grill cover...and I even keep it in the shed all winter. By the 3rd year the edges start to crack. It's like they just dry up over time, By the time this summer is over it will definitely leak. What brand do you guys have that has gone over 5 years?

Same thing is happening to my webber grill cover. Cover is 3 seasons old and the bottom is all hard rolling up and cracking. & now has a small tare. My stays outside all year. My second webber cover and it wasn't cheap. Almost $50

I thought it was just me.  Every season, it got harder to put the cover back on as the cover started drying out and became brittle.  It's torn in a few places.  I'm just going to get a generic one.

I had the weber cover and my grill started to rust on the lip of the lid. So I tossed the cover. The grill sits outside in full sun. Not one problem since tossing the cover four years ago.

The grill is around 10 years old now and still running like a champ.

I've got I TEC infrared stainless grill, don't need no stinkin cover :)  Actually when I first bought the grill I had a very expensive vinyl cover with felt padding on the inside and it lasted somewhere around 3 to 5 years.  I think it is the UV from the sun that destroys them.

Any plastic material will harden and become brittle over time. Plastic is a petroleum based product and, as the oils evaporate, the product becomes brittle and begins to crack. Plastic covers will also trap moisture and cause any metal underneath it to rust. I find that using a fabric (nylon or polyester) cover, or no cover at all, will make the grill last longer

This signature is AWESOME!!!

My webber is cast Aluminum, it's about a 12 year old Silver model. The frame is steel, but no rust. Grill still works great, I've replaced the ignitor once, and flavor bars a couple times over the years. I saw a nice NY Giants cover online I may buy. The Webber original cover is nice, heavy and I dig the velcro around the bottom to keep it from blowing away, (when it's new) but they just don't last. For the price I can buy 3 cheap covers that will probably last just as long.

I'm actually thinking about getting a new Sprit or Genisis with a side burner in stainless. Haven't decided yet. Just can't seem to justify getting rid of my Silver since it still works so well.

My Weber cover is going strong after three years but my yard is very shady so it gets almost no direct sun. I think the UV is what does them in.

My weber silver b is 16 years old and I replaced the cover 3 years ago. The thing works like new and never had covers wear prematurely.

I throw tie-dye shirts and Guatemalan pants over it. Hippy clothes never see a drop of water.

From someone who has been to 40+ Dead shows, this makes perfectly good sense.

I don't remember where I got my cover, but I'm pretty sure it was about $25-$30....still strong after 5+ years and 2 hurricanes. It's definitely faded but the velcro straps on the bottom still hold. 

I'm actually thinking about getting a new Sprit or Genisis with a side burner in stainless. Haven't decided yet. Just can't seem to justify getting rid of my Silver since it still works so well.

Careful on the Spirit.  A few years back, Weber began having the Spirit line farmed out to China, with the thinner steel parts.  As far as I know, the Genesis and Summit are still US made and are more durable.

At that point, the Spirit may be on par with the Home Depot brands in that price range, but with less features.

i'm on second cover for the Weber Genesis in 3yrs ... grill is outdoors 24/7 365 and the first cover turned so brittle and actually shrink wrapped from sun exposure around the grill so tight i had to cut it off.    i just bought a new weber cover and they have changed to material to a less petroleum based (if that's what they are made of) to a much lighter material...i got tired of searching for a cheaper substitute that would fit over the lid handle on the Genesis ... we'll see how it goes 

Mine lasted one season. The wife called weber a few weeks ago to complain and they acknowledged that the vinyl covers were an issue and noted that they changed the design to polyester for 2015. Sent us a new one at no charge

Same.

Jus bought a new one. Now I'm gonna call.

Thanks for the info