vladtepes

yes.. aimponts are worth the cost...

Agreed. A quality optic, Aimpoint or similar, is well worth the money on your SD/HD/CD rifle. How much is your life worth? You can cut corners on a target rifle or hunting rifle. There is always another day for those. For your life, not so much. 

I have Comp M2 (M69) and the spring on the front lens cover failed after the second range trip. After shooting awhile I have to flip it back up or down when I suddenly go blind. I guess I could take it off. The dot looks like a magic marker smear at low level and a spirochete at the top two settings.

It certainly will stay on at low level for years, as advertised. And I am sure it is rugged enough for the dot to stay on, even if the rest of it fails right out of the box.

Worth the money? I guess that depends. I've shot their newer stuff and the micros and was not impressed by the aiming qualities, similarly.

I like the C-more form factor. Very open and unobstructed, and more precise dots.

I know HE is our top tactical operator, military technology expert, and Aimpoint promoter but he is never going to get his team killed because his optic died after 6 months of combat abuse. He's never going to see anything even remotely like that. If his optic fails it won't change the outcome, if he ever has to use it for real. His situations, if any, are largely predetermined. Of course everybody should want every advantage you can get, but I'm not sure where Aimpoint ranks in that for us. Everybody is different.

I have Comp M2 (M69) and the spring on the front lens cover failed after the second range trip. After shooting awhile I have to flip it back up or down when I suddenly go blind. I guess I could take it off. The dot looks like a magic marker smear at low level and a spirochete at the top two settings.

It certainly will stay on at low level for years, as advertised. And I am sure it is rugged enough for the dot to stay on, even if the rest of it fails right out of the box.

Worth the money? I guess that depends. I've shot their newer stuff and the micros and was not impressed by the aiming qualities, similarly.

I like the C-more form factor. Very open and unobstructed, and more precise dots.

I know HE is our top tactical operator, military technology expert, and Aimpoint promoter but he is never going to get his team killed because his optic died after 6 months of combat abuse. He's never going to see anything even remotely like that. If his optic fails it won't change the outcome, if he ever has to use it for real. His situations, if any, are largely predetermined. Of course everybody should want every advantage you can get, but I'm not sure where Aimpoint ranks in that for us. Everybody is different.

if any part of your aim point failed.. I would be shocked if they did not make it right for you..

as for the unclear dot.. its your eyes you need glasses.. same thing happens to me.. lol

if any part of your aim point failed.. I would be shocked if they did not make it right for you..

as for the unclear dot.. its your eyes you need glasses.. same thing happens to me.. lol

Yep, same here. Astigmatism, early stages of cateracts, etc... All play factors.

Mine looks like Haley's comet w/o my glasses. I can lower the intensity low enough to see with no glasses and still be spot on target, but with my glasses, most of the prob goes away. If and when I get surgery for new lenses, I'll have to just deal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have little doubt you are right. I shot the thing for a year or two, left it on an unused rifle for about 6, whipped it back out and put it on MG duty. Decided to finally look up the warranty about 10 years and 6 months after purchase :D (10 year warranty) I thought about calling them anyway, then decided it's just a blasting toy so who cares.

As for astigmatism, is that Aimpoint Astigmatism® ? :D Because I don't get it from my buddy's micro, or Eotechs, or C-Mores. And it seems all of my friends are also afflicted with this dreaded, registered trademark illness when they look through my scope :D

BTW - OK, you have a toasted rifle and a red dot that still emits light. You know what else would survive that fire? Irons :D I'd be a lot more worried about that rifle than the dot. A dot is only in incremental improvement over irons, and it does come with downsides compared to irons as well.

I have little doubt you are right. I shot the thing for a year or two, left it on an unused rifle for about 6, whipped it back out and put it on MG duty. Decided to finally look up the warranty about 10 years and 6 months after purchase :D (10 year warranty) I thought about calling them anyway, then decided it's just a blasting toy so who cares.

As for astigmatism, is that Aimpoint Astigmatism® ? :D Because I don't get it from my buddy's micro, or Eotechs, or C-Mores. And it seems all of my friends are also afflicted with this dreaded, registered trademark illness when they look through my scope :D

BTW - OK, you have a toasted rifle and a red dot that still emits light. You know what else would survive that fire? Irons :D I'd be a lot more worried about that rifle than the dot. A dot is only in incremental improvement over irons, and it does come with downsides compared to irons as well.

I am terrible with iron sights.. lol

I have them on my rifles.. shoot them enough to be able to use them.. but definitely not good with them... 

and I do think for some reason the astigmatism is worse with Aimpoints.. not sure why.. but they apparently are.. 

I've had Aimpoint M68s Irons and Acogs on my issued M4s. Granted that the M68 were already in use before I was issued my M4, but I've seen the emitter dying out with every shot (replaced battery) one had moisture in the "tube" and even with my glasses to fix my astigmatism the dot looked like a smeared ink dot. Then again the next aimpoint I had was a solid rock and worked reliably. definitely loved the ACOG more during my time in my time with HHC's Reconnaissance Platoon. Obviously they are two different optic platforms so this is very apples to oranges but from my experience most of my shooters prefer ACOG over the Aimpoint. Now a couple of my Ranger buddies did have Eotechs on their issued weapons, but they also have a much higher budget and get to buy all sorts of cool guy gear haha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk