Dr.Jimmy Rustler

help picking a new grill

So I've currently got an old weber natural gas grill but since moving a few years ago I still haven't gotten around to getting natural gas hooked up. I looked into conversion kits from natural gas to propane and came up empty handed. This lead me to looking at new grills. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations. I don't really host any big parties or anything so I don't need a very large grill. Typically I grill for 3-8 people. I also don't exactly have a budget but I'd like to keep it under a grand. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Spirit-S-210-2-Burner-Stainless-Steel-Propane-Gas-Grill-46100001/203597736?N=5yc1vZc5t2Z1lsZ12l8Zbwo5o

I was considering the above. ^ Just curious what everyone's opinion was. My knowledge of grills extends to turning them on and off lol. Is it still worth it to buy a weber over another brand? Thanks for the input guys.

I've never heard anyone say they were sorry they bought a Weber.

I'm ready to replace my 20 year old grill with this one

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesis-S-330-3-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-6570001/202843415/

Ssme grill is available for $100 less without the sear and side burners.

I'm a fan of the Genisis line by Weber. They way the lid and base fit contains more of the heat. I think they are more efficient (if you keep the lid closed).

I've been a Weber original kettle man my whole life.   In my opinion, NG and propane are okay, but nothing compares to the primal flavorings of a slab of meat grilled over charcoal and mesquite.  Several years ago I buckled and bought a propane grill because it was more convenient.  I switched back to Weber before the summer was over.

Another vote for a Weber.  You'll spend a bit more initially but you make it back, many times over, in the grills longevity.  Their customer service is second to none as well.  A couple of parts got dinged up during shipping on mine and they were quick to send our replacements and didn't even make me go through the trouble of sending the originals back.

I've never heard anyone say they were sorry they bought a Weber.

I'm ready to replace my 20 year old grill with this one

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Genesis-S-330-3-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-6570001/202843415/

Ssme grill is available for $100 less without the sear and side burners.

I'm a fan of the Genisis line by Weber. They way the lid and base fit contains more of the heat. I think they are more efficient (if you keep the lid closed).

sweet!

I'm a long fan of the original weber kettle grill myself.  Used to have a gas grill (unsure of the brand) but pretty quickly switched back to charcoal.  it just isn't the same cooking on a gas grill outdoors..  my neighbors probably hate all the smoke my charcoal chimney produces at the start though lol

Definitely go with a Weber, as mentioned by others above they do cost more but they are awesome quality and if you ever have a problem their customer services is tops.  I have 3 burner Spirit 310 that came with enameled cast iron grates that I got about 4 yrs ago and love it.  I grill a LOT, all year round... and my Spirit always produces awesome results. No hot or cold spots and it heats evenly.  Cast iron grates are great and create awesome sear marks, because they hold more heat... but do require a bit more care than stainless steel.  I've owned other brands of grills before and they never lasted more than 3 yrs...  Weber is the way to go if you want something that will give you years and years of grilling pleasure.

I have the standard sphere weber charcoal grill but honestly I can't stand using it. Its not worth the hassle of heating up the coals for me.

so what makes webers last longer? Just better materials used in the grill? Any reason why I should get a 3 burner over a 2?

I have the standard sphere weber charcoal grill but honestly I can't stand using it. Its not worth the hassle of heating up the coals for me.

so what makes webers last longer? Just better materials used in the grill? Any reason why I should get a 3 burner over a 2?

i like charcoal but the hassle just isn't worth it for me either.  i have a Weber Genesis that i like alot. the materials used are superior to what i see in similar price range from other grills. The cast iron lid is the key as are the porcelain grates for even cooking and great grill marks... i like 3 burners for moving food around and different temps , keeping things warm as well high heat if need be.

and also this........

http://www.theonion.com/article/study-average-father-thinks-about-sealing-meats-ju-50457

I bought pretty much the same Weber Genesis a couple of years ago that AS350driver just bought and it's working great.

Had a Char-Broil before this one.  Was replacing burners just about every year.  Then it fell apart.

We have a Weber dealer down the road from us, RT130 in Burlington Co. I ended up going for the 330 model that has the side burner and sear burner.

Fireplace guy?

Enjoy, I have the same one. I'm not so sure about the side burner though, not impressed with that

How much did you pay, because these days the cheap ones seem to be around $2500. 

I think when I got it, which was about 15 years ago, it was somewhere around $1,300 or so.  What is so amazing about it is that it gets so hot that you sear in all the juices of a steak.  You cook it on high for about 90 seconds on one side, 90 seconds on the other side; then turn it down to low and cook about 3-8 minutes to get the inside the way you like it.

I had the Weber Summit Gold, was top of the line 12 years ago. The burner box and cart both fully rusted out twice. It did get a lot of use but was well maintained and covered. This time around I went with a Bull product that is ALL 304 stainless. Time will tell.

Bought a lightly used NG Weber Genesis Gold with a side burner a few years ago on Craigslist from a guy who had NG outside in his old house but not the new one. He got a price for an NG line outside in the new house and went back to propane. My father was a plumber for 50 years and I learned how to cut and thread pipe when I was a kid. Running the line through the wall to the deck was no big deal. One of the most useful projects I ever did. I grill or fry ( really like that side burner) outside all year except in really bad weather and no more propane tanks to screw with. This grill will probably outlast me, but if I do have to replace it, I'll get another Genesis because I think the Summits require a 3/4" line and I'm not up to changing the existing 1/2" line.

I think when I got it, which was about 15 years ago, it was somewhere around $1,300 or so.  What is so amazing about it is that it gets so hot that you sear in all the juices of a steak.  You cook it on high for about 90 seconds on one side, 90 seconds on the other side; then turn it down to low and cook about 3-8 minutes to get the inside the way you like it.

Just so we're all clear, searing to lock in juices is a myth that has long been debunked. http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Just so we're all clear, searing to lock in juices is a myth that has long been debunked. http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Call it a myth, call it what you want; anyone that comes and eats steak cooked on our grill tells us how much better it is than the way their's cooks.  

Another vote for Weber. My first lasted 12 years and was still working when I replaced it with the S330. Sear burner and side burner.

Great grill. Get some cast iron pans and you can cook onions and other things on the side burner. Came in handy this week as our kitchen was ripped out for a new one.