Sign in to follow this  
almiz111

Is this some kind of perverted Russian Roullette??

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150520_Former_state_policeman_pleads_guilty_in_shooting_death_of_trooper.html

No it is not funny. PA Trooper Trainees sitting around the training table with a Safety Officer who pulls the trigger.  Result: dead trainee.

But it is real STUPID and rediculous. Where do they get these people??

Hard to believe that something like this could even happen--an instructor giving a safety course??

"There's not a day goes by that he doesn't think about this, and he's devastated that something like this happened," said his attorney, Timothy Woodward. "Certainly it was unintentional. It was accidental."

I am sure he is devastated, but what about the trooper?

Pointing and pulling the trigger are two independent, intentional actions.  I have had minimal training, but I am always highly aware of where I point and that my finger is off the trigger--outside the trigger-guard--until I am prepared to destroy something.  I am sure it was unintentional--that he did not intend to kill, but it sounds like he intentionally disregarded at least three of the four safety rules.

Tragic.

I remember when this happened.

I was at an IDPA match that weekend, there was an instructor from one of the NJ Police Academy's shooting. I asked him about what happened, obviously he said he wasn't allowed to discuss it - after reading that article - it sounds even worse than I thought -

IT was accidental? that's what his lawyer says? how about calling it what it is? stupid, careless, reckless, and murder?

Its always an accidental discharge or a tragic accident when it involves the cops scewing up. Its always negligent or criminal when it involves law abiding citizens.

Its always an accidental discharge or a tragic accident when it involves the cops scewing up. Its always negligent or criminal when it involves law abiding citizens.

+1 this.

An accident is when you drop your gun, it goes off and shoots someone. You are cleaning your gun, it goes off and you shoot someone.

You pick up a gun, point it at someone and pull the trigger? No accident there.

This guy is lucky in his occupation. A civvie would be Bubba's roommate by now. Instead he is retired (presumably full pension, which hopefully the civil suit takes a huge bite out of) and will be on probation.

+1 this.

An accident is when you drop your gun, it goes off and shoots someone. You are cleaning your gun, it goes off and you shoot someone.

You pick up a gun, point it at someone and pull the trigger? No accident there.

This guy is lucky in his occupation. A civvie would be Bubba's roommate by now. Instead he is retired (presumably full pension, which hopefully the civil suit takes a huge bite out of) and will be on probation.

i'm willing to give you dropping the gun as an accident. i'm not willing to give you cleaning and having it go off as an accident.

The most basic safety rules:

- Always keep gun pointed in a safe direction.

- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Can't he follow at least one of these rules???

I bet the other trainees who witnessed that "accident" will learn the lesson.