Sign in to follow this  
Kevin125

Transport - One reason why people don't understand the law

YES, in point of fact, it IS!  Because now we're talking about INTER-state transport, NOT INTRA-state transportation, so FOPA comes into play here.  Since HP is NOT illegal in Florida, transporting them from a place that's LEGAL (your residence) to another place that's LEGAL is meeting the FOPA guidelines.  I suppose if you wanted to "split hairs", you could stop at any NJ commercial or private club range, any time of the day or night (since nowhere is it stipulated in the 2C NJ Statutes that you have to ENTER the building, so a cruise thru the parking lot is as good "as being there"), and then proceed directly to the border of New Jermany, and then at the instant the border is crossed, you'd be good under FOPA.

1. FOPA does not protect you in your state of origin or your state of destination. It was changed specifically to ensure that before it was passed. Yes, I know many desperate people here don't want to believe that and I won't beat a dead horse. By contrast, desperate (and more politically active) gun owners in Maryland (subject to the same nonsense) know it's true like everybody else.

2. FOPA does not cover ammunition. Certainly not explicitly. They planned to clarify that during 2013 along with the universal background check push in US Congress.

When the exception says that you can transport a rifle to your business, does that mean a business where you are the owner or is it any job where you are an employee?

Actually, transportation of long guns is ok, 24/7/365 so long as you have a NJFID, AND you stay away from military installations and schools.  That means you needn't own the business at all, and can leave your SECURED and UNLOADED long gun (rifle or scattergun) in your vehicle while you go shopping, pick-up the Kiddies from dance lessons, take them for ice cream, to the movies, etc., etc.

There might be some confusion on your part since you typed RIFLE instead of hand gun??  Transportation of a HAND GUN to a business YOU OWN is considered an EXEMPTION, since your business THAT YOU OWN is an EXEMPT LOCATION.  If I work for you, my 5 AR-15's and my 100 loaded 15 round mags can be SECURED in my cars' trunk parked next to your business....

1. FOPA does not protect you in your state of origin or your state of destination. It was changed specifically to ensure that before it was passed. Yes, I know many desperate people here don't want to believe that and I won't beat a dead horse. By contrast, desperate (and more politically active) gun owners in Maryland (subject to the same nonsense) know it's true like everybody else.

2. FOPA does not cover ammunition. Certainly not explicitly. They planned to clarify that during 2013 along with the universal background check push in US Congress.

1.  Yes, you are correct, and I know this.  FOPA is only applicable DURING the transit.  What ever you transport has to be legal at the ultimate destination in order for FOPA to apply from the first border along the way.

2.  Yes, we agree!  I have not been able to find where someone that started in Pennsy and broke-down in Illinois (while enroute to Iowa) with Class 3 firearms and was arrested because they carried ammo to make the guns work.  It is a "given" in Free America that guns use ammo.  FOPA may not specifically cover ammo, but I've looked for ammo arrests for FOPA style transports and failed to locate any.

Actually, transportation of long guns is ok, 24/7/365 so long as you have a NJFID, AND you stay away from military installations and schools.  That means you needn't own the business at all, and can leave your SECURED and UNLOADED long gun (rifle or scattergun) in your vehicle while you go shopping, pick-up the Kiddies from dance lessons, take them for ice cream, to the movies, etc., etc.

I have a minor detail question on transporting long guns 24/7 that I'm wondering about...does the NJFID have to be IN YOUR POSSESSION while you are transporting, or is the fact that you're a valid NJFID holder, which the police can verify through a record check, enough?

There might be some confusion on your part since you typed RIFLE instead of hand gun??  Transportation of a HAND GUN to a business YOU OWN is considered an EXEMPTION, since your business THAT YOU OWN is an EXEMPT LOCATION.  If I work for you, my 5 AR-15's and my 100 loaded 15 round mags can be SECURED in my cars' trunk parked next to your business....

I would love to keep my 10/22 in the trunk of my car so I can go shooting either at lunchtime or after work.  Since I do have a FID, I think I would be good as long as I'm not next to a school or any other "gun free zone"?

I have a minor detail question on transporting long guns 24/7 that I'm wondering about...does the NJFID have to be IN YOUR POSSESSION while you are transporting, or is the fact that you're a valid NJFID holder, which the police can verify through a record check, enough?

From earlier in the thread...

"Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree."

If you have a shotgun in your car, and you first had obtained a FPID, you are not guilty of a crime of the third degree.   It does not mention that the card has to be married to the firearms, simply that you must have obtained it.

That said, I would bet that at least half of the police in this state believe that a Firearms purchaser ID is a Firearms OWNERSHIP ID.  Meaning that you must have have it with you, similar to a carry license to have a firearm anywhere.  I would also go even further to believe that these same LEOs believe it applies equally to handguns as to long guns when in reality a FPID confers no legality to handguns whatsoever, short of being required to purchase handgun ammo.  All this means of course, that it's a good idea to have it on you any time guns are involved even though the wording of the statutes do not require it.

I've read these paragraphs on this a hundred times, and not once did it specify that said NJFID has to be ON YOUR PERSON or IN YOUR VEHICLE....  You're issued a SBI Number (so are Felons for that matter), that follows you everywhere you go, through all 500+ municipalities in NJ....  

You'd think that the lawyers that write these stupid laws (that are filing cabinets in length) would simply write in an easy-to-understand style, with such info spelled-out, wouldn't you?  To be blunt, your firearms ownership info exists in a statewide data base right now.  Do I carry my NJFID at all times?  YES I do!  Why?  To avoid problems and to buy ammo if I fall into a sale that I didn't know about.  I also use my NJFID to bust balls when folks ask for ID.  I show it to cash checks.  Hey, somebody has to help-out the poor schlubs w/o a DL who only ride the Bus, lol! 

I would love to keep my 10/22 in the trunk of my car so I can go shooting either at lunchtime or after work.  Since I do have a FID, I think I would be good as long as I'm not next to a school or any other "gun free zone"?

Not only are you "good", but if you belonged to a private club with 24/7/365 access to the range, you could go there in your pajamas in the middle of the night and drive there with your slippers on!  Laws are written so as to not discriminate what time of day you go to work....so 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift workers can equally take advantage of this exemption 24/7/365.  Some ranges have "regulars" that get there at 1:00 am and stay till dawn........

Again, SECURED, UNLOADED, you're GTG!

From earlier in the thread...

"Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree."

If you have a shotgun in your car, and you first had obtained a FPID, you are not guilty of a crime of the third degree.   It does not mention that the card has to be married to the firearms, simply that you must have obtained it.

That said, I would bet that at least half of the police in this state believe that a Firearms purchaser ID is a Firearms OWNERSHIP ID.  Meaning that you must have have it with you, similar to a carry license to have a firearm anywhere.  I would also go even further to believe that these same LEOs believe it applies equally to handguns as to long guns when in reality a FPID confers no legality to handguns whatsoever, short of being required to purchase handgun ammo.  All this means of course, that it's a good idea to have it on you any time guns are involved even though the wording of the statutes do not require it.

Keep in mind that NJ laws are also written to cover out-of-state visitors, and as such, our treasured visitors are allowed to possess and transport all types of firearms while en-route directly to and from registered matches on a club's calendar of events.  This EXEMPTION is also listed in the laws and is the most forgotten about.  Why?  Because folks grab what you highlighted about the "first obtaining a NJ FID" and FORGET to look at the EXEMPTIONS.  So this is a classic use of my formula of "A + B = C".

I won't draw the same conclusions that you did about what some Cops think a NJFID is for or how it's to be used.  I, like you, see no need for confrontation, so I carry mine too like a good little Boy.

See the WHOLE BOARD!  Then make your Chess move.........

When I moved from PRNJ to TX, the U-Haul I was driving contained ~1500 loaded 9mm & 45 ACP rounds, 2 boxes of Critical Duty, pistols, shotgun, rifles, 10 pounds of gunpowder, 2 propane tanks (empty) and a motorcycle with 3/4 tank of gasoline along with everything else we own. Nobody stopped me, I didn't get struck by lightning, and nothing else bad happened. I'd say, move your ammo and don't speed or do anything else to attract attention and you'll be fine.

(I'm so glad I escaped the NJ Gulag)

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

and my 100 loaded 15 round mags can be SECURED in my cars' trunk parked next to your business....

Evan Nappen disagrees with this statement. According to him a loaded magazine although not inserted into the actual firearm is considered "a part of the gun" and he believes that a prosecutor will charge you with having a loaded gun if your carrying loaded magazines separate from the actual gun. See video below...

I tend to believe what he says when it comes to NJ gun laws...

Keep the actual card on your person while transporting, best idea. They will arrest/detain you and figure out legality later. The administrative code instructs officers to arrest any time they believe you could be in violation.

Unless you enjoy being arrested, read your rights, handcuffed, stuffed into the back of a radio car, then held until you can prove your innocence. Then I would say leave your card at home. The officer may not like your face, and may not want to go through the hassle of having dispatch make 20 phone calls to find out if you actually have a FPID card.

i'm trying to figure out just exactly how to phrase it that all firearms are illegal here with exceptions and exemptions. by that, i mean in such a way that even the most rabid antigunner can't argue with it. then where to start publicizing that they are in fact illegal here.

the NRA should have been all over this shit years ago.

Evan Nappen disagrees with this statement. According to him a loaded magazine although not inserted into the actual firearm is considered "a part of the gun" and he believes that a prosecutor will charge you with having a loaded gun if your carrying loaded magazines separate from the actual gun. See video below...

I tend to believe what he says when it comes to NJ gun laws...

I've seen this before, and am quite familiar with "they can argue that the magazine is part of the gun" is not quite the same as written LAW.  They can also argue that the Pope is Jewish.  In Aitken's trial they were arguing over what constituted "moving", the jury was charged with missing testimony, and the case was overturned and the Judge was disbarred.  All because of "their arguing" against common sense.  

In NJ I can LOAD my black powder guns with powder, patch and ball and the State considers it UNLOADED until I apply powder to the pan (for a flintlock) or a percussion cap to the nipple.  W/O a source of ignition, the gun is UNLOADED even though we all know it's LOADED and merely waiting to be primed....  Also, he (Nappen) mentions it with only 5-10 seconds of the old video left to play.  It's what he tells everyone, and it's reasonably good advice, but it's just advice, NOT LAW.  Fast-forward to today, and this same lawyer has gotten obvious criminals off from 30 round mag problems by asking whether or not the mag was actually tested (PUT INTO THE GUN AND USED) to see if it indeed fires more than 15 rounds from a semi-automatic firearm.......

i'm trying to figure out just exactly how to phrase it that all firearms are illegal here with exceptions and exemptions. by that, i mean in such a way that even the most rabid antigunner can't argue with it. then where to start publicizing that they are in fact illegal here.

the NRA should have been all over this shit years ago.

I think it starts with the FPID to purchase.  But there's this.  And I have to go read all the damn law again to figure out if it's true or not... but...

before applying for my FPID, I was having a conversation with an LEO at the station and siad one of the reasons I needed the FPID was because I had to take possession of my dad's .22.  He said, "you don't need a FPID to do that. But if you wanted to, you could fill out a form, [whichever form he mentioned], but you don't need to.. and personally, I wouldn't bother."

So, at least to possess at home.  But... the exemption would be . AT HOME

So... it would be illegal to possess elsewhere... UNLESS.. I was going to or from an EXEMPTED location.

Otherwise... illegal to possess..

UNLESS.. I had a FPID which removed the basic illegality to possess in almost any place... (unloaded).

So... without a FPID and except for exemptions... all guns are illegal here.

My logic there is a little effed up.  But I think that's the basis of it.

Don't beat me up on it. I just got done driving 8 hours through NY on a day that started at 3:30 am.  I'm really friggin tired.

and NY sucks

Rule #1 of transporting hollow points from 1 home to another - don't admit on a public forum if you decided to.

Hollow Point?  What's that?

And nice sleeve btw.

(if you put "no distinguising marks" on your apps.... say  .. what sleeve?)

I've seen this before, and am quite familiar with "they can argue that the magazine is part of the gun" is not quite the same as written LAW. They can also argue that the Pope is Jewish. In Aitken's trial they were arguing over what constituted "moving", the jury was charged with missing testimony, and the case was overturned and the Judge was disbarred. All because of "their arguing" against common sense.

In NJ I can LOAD my black powder guns with powder, patch and ball and the State considers it UNLOADED until I apply powder to the pan (for a flintlock) or a percussion cap to the nipple. W/O a source of ignition, the gun is UNLOADED even though we all know it's LOADED and merely waiting to be primed.... Also, he (Nappen) mentions it with only 5-10 seconds of the old video left to play. It's what he tells everyone, and it's reasonably good advice, but it's just advice, NOT LAW. Fast-forward to today, and this same lawyer has gotten obvious criminals off from 30 round mag problems by asking whether or not the mag was actually tested (PUT INTO THE GUN AND USED) to see if it indeed fires more than 15 rounds from a semi-automatic firearm.......

I understand what your saying. You do what you feel comfortable with. I will follow my lawyers advice. He says the same thing still, in the 2014 orange gun law bible. Although I have to say it would be convenient to load my magazines at home before heading to the range. I waste time there performing that task.

I shoot black powder as well, since it's the only rifle deer season we have here. The game code says the same thing. As long as the pan isn't primed or percussion cap isn't installed on the nipple or primer set into the breach plug on an inline (what I shoot), The gun isn't loaded technically. Even with powder/pellets and a ball or sabot in the barrel. And it's ok to transport in that manner.

I understand what your saying. You do what you feel comfortable with. I will follow my lawyers advice. He says the same thing still, in the 2014 orange gun law bible. Although I have to say it would be convenient to load my magazines at home before heading to the range. I waste time there performing that task.

I shoot black powder as well, since it's the only rifle deer season we have here. The game code says the same thing. As long as the pan isn't primed or percussion cap isn't installed on the nipple or primer set into the breach plug on an inline (what I shoot), The gun isn't loaded technically. Even with powder/pellets and a ball or sabot in the barrel. And it's ok to transport in that manner.

You and I are Birds of a feather.  We are on the same page.  We agree about 99.9% of the time.

Illustrating how to legally transport a LOADED, but unprimed gun, because it makes the most sense to do it that way, and it's SAFER than doing it any other way, and it's what the hunting laws allow is what I was doing for sure!  

Imagine if you will if a County Prosecutor tried to go down the road of a "loaded mag is a loaded gun" since it takes a mag to shoot the gun (or does it)?  Then I demonstrate that mags don't have serial numbers because the BATFE doesn't consider them to be guns and/or receivers.  Then I demo or get an Armorer to testify about magazine disconnect in popular hand guns.  Then we chat about 1911's that don't have mag disconnect.  If the gun shoots w/o the mag in it, then a loaded mag is no more deadly than a bulk pack of hundreds of rounds of .45 ACP with an unloaded Colt Gold Cup tossed into my trunk.  Because I don't even need the mag at all to make the gun fire, I just drop-in a round into the chamber and slam it shut into battery, then pull the trigger!  All of a sudden, the mag looses some of it's glamour of "being a part of the gun".  Yes, of course it's a drawn-out process, and don't for a minute think that Nappen and others haven't already practiced this defense.  At that point I'd ask what constitutes "a loaded gun".  Most Jurors would say the bullets would have to be IN THE GUN..........

Yeah, it's a fictitious scenario, and one I hope no one here ever has to deal with.  I have a Boat-Load of friends who pre-load their mags at home.  Especially if they pay by the hour at a commercial range, since who wants to pay for the privilege of loading their mags?  I have a friend with a Model 1919 belt-fed .30 cal semi-auto.  He shows-up with pre-loaded cloth belts (they are bought that way).  Is that loaded belt the same as a loaded mag?

Like I said, it's reasonably good advice, and designed to help keep folks out of a gray area.  Let's all hope we're never exposed to a Prosecutor that wants us to go to States Prison for a 300 year old flint-less flintlock that can't fire, and then issues a Press Release that's an entire single page long warning us all not to be like Van Gilder........"YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"!

You and I are Birds of a feather.  We are on the same page.  We agree about 99.9% of the time.

Illustrating how to legally transport a LOADED, but unprimed gun, because it makes the most sense to do it that way, and it's SAFER than doing it any other way, and it's what the hunting laws allow is what I was doing for sure!  

Imagine if you will if a County Prosecutor tried to go down the road of a "loaded mag is a loaded gun" since it takes a mag to shoot the gun (or does it)?  Then I demonstrate that mags don't have serial numbers because the BATFE doesn't consider them to be guns and/or receivers.  Then I demo or get an Armorer to testify about magazine disconnect in popular hand guns.  Then we chat about 1911's that don't have mag disconnect.  If the gun shoots w/o the mag in it, then a loaded mag is no more deadly than a bulk pack of hundreds of rounds of .45 ACP with an unloaded Colt Gold Cup tossed into my trunk.  Because I don't even need the mag at all to make the gun fire, I just drop-in a round into the chamber and slam it shut into battery, then pull the trigger!  All of a sudden, the mag looses some of it's glamour of "being a part of the gun".  Yes, of course it's a drawn-out process, and don't for a minute think that Nappen and others haven't already practiced this defense.  At that point I'd ask what constitutes "a loaded gun".  Most Jurors would say the bullets would have to be IN THE GUN..........

Yeah, it's a fictitious scenario, and one I hope no one here ever has to deal with.  I have a Boat-Load of friends who pre-load their mags at home.  Especially if they pay by the hour at a commercial range, since who wants to pay for the privilege of loading their mags?  I have a friend with a Model 1919 belt-fed .30 cal semi-auto.  He shows-up with pre-loaded cloth belts (they are bought that way).  Is that loaded belt the same as a loaded mag?

Like I said, it's reasonably good advice, and designed to help keep folks out of a gray area.  Let's all hope we're never exposed to a Prosecutor that wants us to go to States Prison for a 300 year old flint-less flintlock that can't fire, and then issues a Press Release that's an entire single page long warning us all not to be like Van Gilder........"YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"!  

I think the arguement Nappon was putting forth wasnt the mag being considered a loaded gun by itself but rather having a loaded mag in whatever proximity to a empty gun would somehow qualify the gun as loaded. Ridiculous yes but like you said - we,ve been warned that the state will resort to the absurd to prosocute. Picture this courtroom scenario- the lawyer for the defendent has on display a empty gun on the counter. He asks a trusted officer of the court to check/clear it. Having done that the lawyer asks the officer "can that gun in its current condition discharge a round?" of course not its not loaded. Next a loaded mag is placed on the table near the gun and the same question is asked. Same answer- its not loaded. Now, how a judge or jury interpets this "obvious" lesson in physics here is another story. But the poor bastard defendent has already spent mucho $$$ and time, loss of reputation, work, possible jail time etc trying to get to the moment just presented in court.... and i think that somewhere in NY law maybe hunting by laws, what ever that the loaded mag  near the is actually considered loaded so.......

I think the arguement Nappon was putting forth wasnt the mag being considered a loaded gun by itself but rather having a loaded mag in whatever proximity to a empty gun would somehow qualify the gun as loaded. Ridiculous yes but like you said - we,ve been warned that the state will resort to the absurd to prosocute. Picture this courtroom scenario- the lawyer for the defendent has on display a empty gun on the counter. He asks a trusted officer of the court to check/clear it. Having done that the lawyer asks the officer "can that gun in its current condition discharge a round?" of course not its not loaded. Next a loaded mag is placed on the table near the gun and the same question is asked. Same answer- its not loaded. Now, how a judge or jury interpets this "obvious" lesson in physics here is another story. But the poor bastard defendent has already spent mucho $$$ and time, loss of reputation, work, possible jail time etc trying to get to the moment just presented in court.... and i think that somewhere in NY law maybe hunting by laws, what ever that the loaded mag  near the is actually considered loaded so.......

I completely agree with your critical thinking.  NJ gun law is in all practicality an evolving myriad of convoluted INTERPRETATIONS of folks who knew nothing about how firearms function before they wrote the laws.  Nobody wants to be the Poor, Dumb, Bastard sitting at the Defendant's Table waiting for the answer from either of our courtroom scenarios.  So to prevent REASONABLE supposition I and my friends will sometimes transport loaded mags in a SEPARATE, LOCKED CONTAINER stored as far away from the SUV's driver seat as possible (and covered with a blanket--out of sight is out of mind) OR secured in the trunk of my sedan.  This somewhat negates the proximity issue you just explored above and is a compromise to those who wish to not waste time "on the clock" at a commercial range.  It all goes to INTENT.  I don't INTEND to place guns and ammo in close enough proximity so as to cause a reasonable person any concern.  No, it's not written in any of the 2C Statutes to transport in this manner in order to be legal.  Fact is I could throw loose, naked, UNLOADED hand guns into my trunk, open-up bulk packs of "bag-o-bullets" and dump loose rounds all over my hand guns, and so long as I don't cross the border or drive to a school or military base on the DIRECT way to my EXEMPT LOCATION, I'm completely legal!  

The "separate locked container" phrase comes up quite often on this forum and generally causes a firestorm all by itself, which is why I haven't mentioned it up until now.  Keeping ammo separate from the gun itself is in the FOPA Rules, but yet again opens us up to INTERPRETATIONS of what the word "separate" means.  Does it mean in the same shooting bag, but separate compartment/sleeve or does it mean secured by itself in a separate container?  Is an unopened cardboard case separate enough or do I need to find a box with a lock on it huge enough for a case of 12 ga. scattergun ammo?  Or 5.56?  Or .45 ACP?  I mention all of this to merely illustrate how you can "go off the tracks" by mixing NJ gun law with FOPA.

One thing is for sure.  NOBODY here wants to author the next Blue Tent Sky.......  

Now I see why, in my introduction, someone asked if it was too late to consider my move to NJ (or is that New Jermany, lol.)

So.  If I want to bring one of my handguns to the new house in NJ, from the house in PA, I don't need an FID - that only applies to long guns?  That seems really weird.  And if I'm bringing the 1911, since it doesn't like HP anyway, it looks like I should just leave that ammo in PA?

Now I see why, in my introduction, someone asked if it was too late to consider my move to NJ (or is that New Jermany, lol.)

So. If I want to bring one of my handguns to the new house in NJ, from the house in PA, I don't need an FID - that only applies to long guns? That seems really weird. And if I'm bringing the 1911, since it doesn't like HP anyway, it looks like I should just leave that ammo in PA?

Pretty much...

Ohh and don't stop to take a piss with your gun in the car, once you leave America and enter NJ. We're not sure if that's a "reasonable deviation" while transporting or not. A judge will have to decide after they arrest you.

f195591cb98a7cd519ddea3b8e2577d3.jpg4e18a05a13acce989f5580cee4cddc75.jpg

Now I see why, in my introduction, someone asked if it was too late to consider my move to NJ (or is that New Jermany, lol.)

They are finishing up some funky looking "Sound Barriers" surrounding the state.

1970.jpg

Check out  these new signs just before you enter the state .

checkpoint-charlie.jpg

The toll plaza is getting a new look

wall011.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG.

Pretty much... Ohh and don't stop to take a piss with your gun in the car, once you leave America and enter NJ. We're not sure if that's a "reasonable deviation" while transporting or not. A judge will have to decide after they arrest you. f195591cb98a7cd519ddea3b8e2577d3.jpg4e18a05a13acce989f5580cee4cddc75.jpg

does that include just pulling over and pissing on the shoulder of the road?

They are finishing up some funky looking "Sound Barriers" surrounding the state.

1970.jpg

Check out  these new signs just before you enter the state .

checkpoint-charlie.jpg

The toll plaza is getting a new look

wall011.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG.

just remember....we are an island. it would be stupidly easy to isolate us onto it if they wanted.......

So.  If I want to bring one of my handguns to the new house in NJ, from the house in PA, I don't need an FID - that only applies to long guns?  That seems really weird.  And if I'm bringing the 1911, since it doesn't like HP anyway, it looks like I should just leave that ammo in PA?

You poor, dumb Bastard!  You moved from "nearly Free America" to the PRNJ.  You have my (our) condolences.

Folks move into NJ all of the time, bringing their vast gun collections with them.  None of these guns need to be voluntarily registered, and so long as you don't have evil black rifles with bayonet lugs, collapsible/adjustable stocks and flash hiders (muzzle breaks are okie-dokie) or standard-capacity (over 15 round) magazines for them, you're basically GTG.  If you own something that needs neutered, get it to a friendly FFL who will perform the service OR sell it in Free America, because to keep it here is a felony (indictable offense).

You can transport only to exempt locations unless you are granted a NJ FPID, and then can transport your long guns (ONLY) anywhere 'cept a school or military base.  NJ FPID is also required for purchasing pistol caliber ammo here in NJ (but nothing is stopping you from mail-order (yet) or driving to a PA ammo house like Cabela's for instance).  Transportation of Pistolas is still governed by "Directly to and from" regardless of whether or not you have a NJ FPID Card.

I highly recommend that you consider membership in some range somewhere, since having a range membership carries some additional leeway in the eyes of our oppressors.  Again, welcome to New Jermany!