Sign in to follow this  
Kevin125

Transport - One reason why people don't understand the law

Just tried to use "quote", but don't see the actual quote above, so forgive me if this doesn't work.  As to the Snapple bottle, that's not such a good option for girls.

We're keeping the house in PA, but our main residence will go from being in NYC to NJ, so I'm actually moving a step up.  Seems really sad that there's a place in America that makes NJ laws look good.  I never applied for the premise permit for handguns in the city, because once in, you can't remove them from the 5 boroughs unless you have a hunting authorization card and you're going to upstate NY to hunt.  Figured it wasn't worth the hundreds of dollars, when we were looking to move out anyway.

I'm still a little confused on the interstate transport deal.  I'll probably just leave the 1911 in NJ, rather than take it back and forth, but should figure out the law in any case.  Seems to be some disagreement about whether FOPA covers you, or not.

does that include just pulling over and pissing on the shoulder of the road?

No. Public urination could land you on the Sex Offenders Registry though, if a woman or a minor thinks they might have seen you peeing. At best, you'll get a disorderly conduct...with guns in the car, make it felony possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Just tried to use "quote", but don't see the actual quote above, so forgive me if this doesn't work. As to the Snapple bottle, that's not such a good option for girls.

We're keeping the house in PA, but our main residence will go from being in NYC to NJ, so I'm actually moving a step up. Seems really sad that there's a place in America that makes NJ laws look good. I never applied for the premise permit for handguns in the city, because once in, you can't remove them from the 5 boroughs unless you have a hunting authorization card and you're going to upstate NY to hunt. Figured it wasn't worth the hundreds of dollars, when we were looking to move out anyway.

I'm still a little confused on the interstate transport deal. I'll probably just leave the 1911 in NJ, rather than take it back and forth, but should figure out the law in any case. Seems to be some disagreement about whether FOPA covers you, or not.

Well we've been saying for a while that NJ'S firearms laws were sexist. This is just another example of that being true. So I would say....

This

3623679b27dfa26159dc5430a78a8b0e.jpg

+ This

68b223031ec7c2f5b564107961985e73.jpg

Will prevent this

f0501642f1955d212328215ae13ef83a.jpg

;)

Welcome to the Garden State!

Although this post definitely dosen't solve our draconian transport laws, I bet it made you laugh a little today...

No. The law is very specific about where you may legally possess HP ammo, and traveling from one property you own to another is not such a place.

Would it be legal under:

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;

2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;

3.A person going directly to a target range, and;

4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

If I'm going to Florida and practicing with my hollow point ammunition on my private property?  In FL they are much more open to where you can shoot, I could say I'm shooting on my property which is legal for practice in most Florida counties (this was clarified and made legal in Florida for "backyard shooting ranges").  My private property and properties of my friends in Florida as well as many public lands are "authorized places for practice."

You would be in Florida and following fl laws at that point. But then again I can carry in Delaware and take my handgun with me but take guard dog so if I'm stopped while trying to leave nj I don't have hollow point on me. By the way I'm fully moved from my apartment and the HP is safe at an undisclosed location

You would be in Florida and following fl laws at that point. But then again I can carry in Delaware and take my handgun with me but take guard dog so if I'm stopped while trying to leave nj I don't have hollow point on me. By the way I'm fully moved from my apartment and the HP is safe at an undisclosed location

Good for you! You made the right choice not to leave them on your fridge!!!

Enjoy the new digs!  FWIW since there's virtually no way to prove that the HP's that are now in the new place where moved from the old place, (of course you stopped at a range parking lot in the middle of the night), the "secret location" can be divulged, lol.....

Also, you're correct on the Florida question.  As I stated previously, if you're legal at the start of the trip and legal where you wind-up, you're just LEGAL, period!  HP's are legal in NJ and Florida, so NO problem so long as you went to a exempt location before you hit the road for Florida, so as to CYA to be completely "legal" in NJ (and yeah, we all do this, lol, NOT).

Just tried to use "quote", but don't see the actual quote above, so forgive me if this doesn't work.  As to the Snapple bottle, that's not such a good option for girls.

We're keeping the house in PA, but our main residence will go from being in NYC to NJ, so I'm actually moving a step up.  Seems really sad that there's a place in America that makes NJ laws look good.  I never applied for the premise permit for handguns in the city, because once in, you can't remove them from the 5 boroughs unless you have a hunting authorization card and you're going to upstate NY to hunt.  Figured it wasn't worth the hundreds of dollars, when we were looking to move out anyway.

I'm still a little confused on the interstate transport deal.  I'll probably just leave the 1911 in NJ, rather than take it back and forth, but should figure out the law in any case.  Seems to be some disagreement about whether FOPA covers you, or not.

Sorry I didn't see this until just now.  Not trying to avoid the question.

If the 1911 is legal in PA (say you have a PA. LTCF), and you wish to transport it back and forth from PA. to your new, permanent NJ residence, you are within the laws to do so since it would be legal in both locations.  I would apply for a NJ FID so I could buy pistol ammo in NJ at a retail store.  Where you run into "gray area" is if you don't have a PA permit, because that would make transportation (not home defense) a crime, so therefore FOPA wouldn't cover you since you'd be in violation of PA gun statutes.  FOPA only applies when it's legal to start the transportation from a point where possession is legal, and believe it or not NJ has better law on this than PA does, for it's a no-no to drive-around with a hand gun (even an unloaded one) w/o a permit.  You'd also have to watch to not snag yourself on any firearms paperwork that asks for "permanent residence", since giving false information could be a violation in and of itself, depending upon the residency laws of PA and how they would impact your LTCF renewal.  Yes I realize all of this is very confusing, but I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction.

Remember to really "move" when you "MOVE", since NJ doesn't exempt hollow point ammo during a MOVE!  So bringing it into NJ from the PA house would be the same as if you bought it at Cabela's and drove it into NJ in the trunk of your sedan, with the trunk deck lid locked shut.  HP ammo is to be treated as if it was a HAND GUN in and of itself, with the same transportation laws and exemptions (other than Aiken's "moving" case illustrated previously).

Now for the Staple's Button:  Buy a 2nd 1911 so you have one for each residence.  If you have a PA LTCF, once you arrive at Hacienda Williams, holster-up that 1911 until such time as you decide to travel back to the PRNJ.  Then unholster and ESCAPE and EVADE all Miscreants until arriving at the new NJ Hacienda Williams.

THAT WAS EASY??

Again, welcome to the insanity that is NJ!

Dave

If NJ is made the permanent residence wouldn't a pa state permit now be void since no longer a resident? Once a nj resident you won't get a nj permit or a pa non resident. Best bet would be a Utah non resident. Then your lawful weapon in nj could cross into pa since pa allows car carry with any states permit. Would then be left to only open carry around pa staying out of Philly. If you just wanted to travel between homes then I would think you'd be OK.

If NJ is made the permanent residence wouldn't a pa state permit now be void since no longer a resident? Once a nj resident you won't get a nj permit or a pa non resident. Best bet would be a Utah non resident. Then your lawful weapon in nj could cross into pa since pa allows car carry with any states permit. Would then be left to only open carry around pa staying out of Philly. If you just wanted to travel between homes then I would think you'd be OK.

pa doesn't honor utah's non-resident permits anymore. unless i missed something.

pa doesn't honor utah's non-resident permits anymore. unless i missed something.

You're right but PA accepts any states permit to carry a loaded weapon in your car. PA has the same restrictions as NJ with where you can transport a firearm like to a range. Open carry is legal in PA but without any states permit you can't drive to other places. So if you go to PA without having any permit you could not take your gun from NJ to PA just to open carry around some random Walmart since Walmart is not a OK place to transport to. Now if you have any other states permit you can get into pa then take your handgun out of your trunk and pop it on your hip. Open carrying all over pa except for Philly since the permit it not recognized by pa.

Thanks for the answers!  Here's my next question.  Do I need to formally switch residency to NJ (change driver's license) in order to possess a handgun in my new home?  I'd like to keep the PA driver's license, if possible, since it makes any future purchases that much easier.  If not, there's always this convoluted way to go about things.  From what I understand, PA honors Texas CHL's, and you can get a CHL from Texas without being a resident, OR having a carry license in your home state.  PA only issues non-resident if you have a carry from your own state, so if I switch to NJ there goes the PA carry permit.

(Side gripe: why can't we refer to a carry permit with the same acronyms no matter where they're issued?!)

You're right but PA accepts any states permit to carry a loaded weapon in your car. PA has the same restrictions as NJ with where you can transport a firearm like to a range. Open carry is legal in PA but without any states permit you can't drive to other places. So if you go to PA without having any permit you could not take your gun from NJ to PA just to open carry around some random Walmart since Walmart is not a OK place to transport to. Now if you have any other states permit you can get into pa then take your handgun out of your trunk and pop it on your hip. Open carrying all over pa except for Philly since the permit it not recognized by pa.

This is also correct (to the best of my knowledge), which is why I started my explanation based upon a "given" of a PA LTCF from the get-go.  

swilliams:

Best circumstance would be to declare primary residency in PA., get and keep a PA. LTCF (full CCW permit), then go to the NJSP and file for a NJ FPID as an out-of-state (non-resident) owner that comes into NJ often.  This would enable CCW in PA., as well as all of the benefits of holding a NJ FPID (buy pistol ammo, have unloaded long gun in trunk w/o "directly to and from" worries, etc.).  Switching to a primary NJ residence closes more doors than it opens. Having the NJ FPID covers transportation to "other property owned or possessed by him/her", so unloaded transportation of your 1911 would be fine so long as once you enter NJ you go directly to an EXEMPT location!

Hope this helps!

Dave

Thanks for the answers! Here's my next question. Do I need to formally switch residency to NJ (change driver's license) in order to possess a handgun in my new home? I'd like to keep the PA driver's license, if possible, since it makes any future purchases that much easier. If not, there's always this convoluted way to go about things. From what I understand, PA honors Texas CHL's, and you can get a CHL from Texas without being a resident, OR having a carry license in your home state. PA only issues non-resident if you have a carry from your own state, so if I switch to NJ there goes the PA carry permit.

(Side gripe: why can't we refer to a carry permit with the same acronyms no matter where they're issued?!)

Also with a PA LTCF you get much more states with receprocity agreement than you would with a Texas non-res CHL. If you can keep PA residency it makes the most sense. You can still keep a handgun here in NJ, as long as you actually own or lease the home you plan to keep it in even with PA primary residency. But I would highly recommend getting a NJ FPID card to use for ammo purchases as well as long gun transport while your here. Use your PA drivers license address. Apply at the nearest NJ State police barracks to your home in PA.

This is also correct (to the best of my knowledge), which is why I started my explanation based upon a "given" of a PA LTCF from the get-go.  

swilliams:

Best circumstance would be to declare primary residency in PA., get and keep a PA. LTCF (full CCW permit), then go to the NJSP and file for a NJ FPID as an out-of-state (non-resident) owner that comes into NJ often.  This would enable CCW in PA., as well as all of the benefits of holding a NJ FPID (buy pistol ammo, have unloaded long gun in trunk w/o "directly to and from" worries, etc.).  Switching to a primary NJ residence closes more doors than it opens. Having the NJ FPID covers transportation to "other property owned or possessed by him/her", so unloaded transportation of your 1911 would be fine so long as once you enter NJ you go directly to an EXEMPT location!

Hope this helps!

Dave

This is the way to go. There is no downside that I can see to making PA your primary residence.