Jfoster99

Rookie mistake. Ruined 1/4 lb powder??

I was reclaiming components from my bucket of shame( crushed case loads, bullets set to deep, ect ) and accidentally put W748 into the BL-C2 jug.

It was 3 25gr loads of 748 into almost exactly 1/4lb (1750gr) of BL-C2.

Do I need to toss the jug?

I don't think I will reclaim powder moving forward..

It has been an interesting first week of loading... Lots to learn... Lots to screw up... I may have to postpone my Father's Day present. I was going to add a progressive to load 9mm in bulk.. I may wait till I get the single stage rifle press process better tuned..

Personally, I feel like you shouldn't ever screw around with mixing powder. Nothing may come of the mix, but is it worth the $5 of powder?

Hopefully you're learning that reloading is no joke and it takes full attention and organization to do it successfully without issues. The first mistake was to have a "bucket of shame". When I have a round that can be salvaged, I address it immediately so that it has zero chance of being mixed into anything else accidentally. Always consider Murphy's Law when reloading.

I would absolutely wait until your 200% confident in the single stage process before going to progressive. A progressive press can be busy and easy to miss a problem if you're not solid on how everything works in each stage of reloading, and why it's done. Master the single press first and don't rush into the progressive.

Even if you hadn't mixed the powders, if you are reclaiming it from the rounds where, you state, you "lubricated the bullets", that powder may be contaminated anyway. Lube + powder = squibs

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Gentlemen... It's great to have a sounding board here to keep from doing something stupid... It's going in the garden tonight.

Now I just need the appropriate load data to fertilize Rose bushes. I think I'll use. a start load of 2 1/2 tablespoons and work it up from their.... ;)

All sound advice above.

And A good thought of your own.     Its A good idea to get accustomed to reloading before moving to A progressive press.

1 mistake on the progressive (bulk loading) can lead to many possible disasters if not caught right away.

I can sit down at my bench and load an easy 100 to 125 9, 40, or 38 Spl in an hour. With A Lee Classic Turret. Without rushing, That includes weighing, measuring and plunk testing every 10th round.    That way I know that by chance there is an issue I only have to pull 10 rds to be back on track.    Which doesnt happen to often

Anthony Hopkins says you can season meat with gunpowder. 

That would be Black Powder - not smokeless. One of the components in black powder is saltpeter, which is commonly used as a meat tenderizer.

That would be Black Powder - not smokeless. One of the components in black powder is saltpeter, which is commonly used as a meat tenderizer.

Saltpeter was also used in previous ages to keep men from getting too.....excited.  Anti-self abuse medicine.

Saltpeter is still used in most corned beef brines.

Looks like the progressive press is coming after all. The wife already ordered it for Fathers Day. If she got what I asked for is should be a RCBS Pro Chucker 5... Does anyone know anything good or bad about them? I believe they were just released by RCBS. Only YouTube review is from Iraqvet8888 from shot show. When your Birthday and Fathers Day are only 6 weeks apart you get all your toys for the year in relatively short order.

4eac233b9d5fad3a0ca3447b7d8eb645.jpg